Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Background data disabling w/ICS?

It appears that we cannot simply hit a check box like before to limit background data in ICS & you have to set a data limit to do it?! Stupid since some of us (myself included) have unlimited data.

Any way to remove the warning icon in the top bar that won't go away while you have background data disabled?

ROM
    Stock (ICS 4.0.3)

Default Re: Background data disabling w/ICS?

One question. Why do you want to limit the background data when you have unlimited data??

You can control the background data by disabling "Auto Sync" feature under "Settings -> Accounts & Sync"

As for the warning icon in the notification bar, it is a persistant icon, to remind that something is set. Similar to how an Alarm Icon is shown when there is an Alarm set.
    Please hit "Thanks" or/and "Like" if my reply helps you in any way.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by gsainath4u View Post
    One question. Why do you want to limit the background data when you have unlimited data??
    To conserve battery.

You can control the background data by disabling "Auto Sync" feature under "Settings -> Accounts & Sync"
    That does not disable background data.

Settings >
    Developer Options >
    Limit Background Processes (found in the bottom of D.O. menu) >
    Select Desired Level (by default it's on standard limit - no clue how many that allows)

I may play with this too. I'm always looking for ways for the phone to run without serious handicaps while conserving the battery as much as possible. I hope this helps!

Brian-

Quote Originally Posted by Sargeant002 View Post
    Settings >
    Developer Options >
    Limit Background Processes (found in the bottom of D.O. menu) >
    Select Desired Level (by default it's on standard limit - no clue how many that allows)

I may play with this too. I'm always looking for ways for the phone to run without serious handicaps while conserving the battery as much as possible. I hope this helps!

Brian-
    I was wondering if you had time to fool around with the #'s yet? I've been wanting to change mine but not sure what to set it at lol.

I did use it some. I felt it did more harm then good. When I clear RAM on the default setting it frees up more. Everytime I would free up RAM while limited to say 4 it would free up a little less each time? At one point I had a GB of RAM in use I couldn't clear out. I haven't noticed a huge savings personally. I ended up on the stock setting again. The hunt continues...

Brian-

Sent with my at&t SGSIII

So i have a question but everytime i try to access the play store it always asks me to enable my background data which i never disabled is there a way to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Never-Enough View Post
    To conserve battery.
    then switch off the data. it will conserve more power.

Quote Originally Posted by gsainath4u View Post

As for the warning icon in the notification bar, it is a persistant icon, to remind that something is set. Similar to how an Alarm Icon is shown when there is an Alarm set.
    Service in background does not need to use syncing for networking operation ;p For example Instagram which check status regardless if you got sync turn on or off

Every time i try to open the play store it says enable background data, when i click on enable it goes to the accounts&sync option and after syncing and opening the play store i get the 'enable background data' message.. can anybody help??