"Obtaining IP Address"

anon(527940)

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I know I'm not the only one getting this, but honestly its disgusting this hasn't been fixed yet. I currently have 2 devices (my Nexus 7 and SGS2) N7 has JB running and SGS2 recently upgraded to ICS. BOTH have the same stupid obtaining IP address problem. I mean at home the workaround is to assign a proper static IP address. But what about times I don't have access to the router, like wifi hotspots? I was at my local cafe for which my phone worked perfectly on wifi when it was on GB. After ICS it won't even connect! I can't use the static IP workaround either, so what the hell gives???

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
what are you talking about?? i dont need to do any workaround to connect to wifi... it automatically connects... even from local restaurants if its not password protected... whats the point of wifi then? You have an issue with your wifi network or something

anon(527940)

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't happen to all networks for me. My school network connects just fine, but just because "you" don't have the problem doesn't mean everyone else is problem free as well. Google around for Android 4.0 obtaining IP address and you'll see how many people have this exact same problem. It gets stuck on an obtaining IP address loop for certain networks and the only way that fixed it for me was to use the static IP address option and assign an IP within the gateway IP range. I can't do that obviously if I have no idea of what the gateway IP is. Also the kicker is that this problem never existed for me on pre ICS! All the networks that have this problem worked fine when I was on GB!!

harhis23

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Strange..
I've experienced this problem before when I updated my phone to CM7 Gingerbread but I found out the WiFi wasn't really working for that custom ROM so I didn't have a chance to fix it.
In most cases, this problem could be solved by using Static IP but then you have to know everything about network to be able to do so.
BTW, were you able to fix this problem?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Had this issue before. On my stock ROM though. My phone that had the issue is in the signature. And the one I'm using. With a custom ROM. What I had to do was do a reboot. That, or, at a last resort, Clear Data for my Settings.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

anon(527940)

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a DHCP issue.

Yes I believe it is, so far nothing as yielded any answers at all. I have searched and searched and attemped a plethora of "fixes" none of which really work except the static IP option. Now it's unfortunate that I can't even use wifi hotspots in my area because of this bug. It might also be older technology or something. I can connect to newer routers but not older ones it seems (without using the static IP workaround). Odd.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes I believe it is, so far nothing as yielded any answers at all. I have searched and searched and attemped a plethora of "fixes" none of which really work except the static IP option. Now it's unfortunate that I can't even use wifi hotspots in my area because of this bug. It might also be older technology or something. I can connect to newer routers but not older ones it seems (without using the static IP workaround). Odd.

DHCP didn't change much for long time, specially that Internet is now in yet not visible transition to IPv6, so older IPv4 protocols are not changing. So there possibilities:

1. Network you using got broken DHCP server
2. DHCP server in network got some filtring
3. DHCP client is broken in device
4. Also check your clock, DHCP is time dependent, if clock is not working right it might work improbably (thru you would also notice problem with SSL in that case)

ConComp

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Having spent the best part of 2 days researching solutions to this problem on the Net with no success, I am ready dump the Christmas gift. However, I see light at the end of the tunnel, having been able to connect to a relatives WiFi without a problem. So where is the source of the problem? I've reset my router several times but I don't think this is the issue as I can connect my laptop and desktop computers.
Surely somebody has discovered a simple solution by now!

Chris Gilson

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
My S3 has started doing exactly the same thing after installing two updates to my Jelly Bean install. The updates were in quick succession so I don't know when the issue started. The first parade was firmware version I9300XXELLA followed by he Samsung Premium Suite. He only way I have had some success and I'm not sure if this is related as the problem seems to be intermittent and on any network, is to get into the phones service menu and turn off the power save option for wifi.
Anyway this is driving me mad, so if anyone does find a solution, post it here!!

vikram jalan

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Obtaining IP Address"

Guys..aftr 4 frustrtd mnth,i finly found a solution to dis bug,where any phn get stuck on obtaining ip address..this method is working 4 ginger bread,icecream n jellybean..its wrkng 100%..its a bit complicatd to note it down here.,so all u ppl who r still frustratd over dis bug,RELAX..ping me on 8809335555,n i will help u..waiting to hear 4om u..

- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR

Last edited:

ak074

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Obtaining IP Address"

i can help if needed. just let me know via PM what phone you have and your exact issue

Last edited:

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps, this is just a router issue. I had a D-Link router, that wouldn't connect to anything, but computers.
Also what type of router is yours? What I mean is the band, for example: 802.11g, 802.11n, etc.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

rcknr

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I tried that app Wifix but I didnt work for me. I even did the manual entry ....
I have a samsung note 2 and it will always just say obtaining IP address! Sometimes it will work but 90% of the time it wont (the wifi that is). I know its not my wifi because my room mates dont have a problem with it on their phones or laptops.

Hector Esparza

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with my Fascinate is rooted, and i try to reset at factory defaults and what happen, now never connet to USB, it charged but never recognized for the computer, and get stuck in OBTAIN IP ADRESS, and the weird part, i have super user icon and cant get rip of it, i tray every solution possible, and i dont know what to do. If anyody have a solution , i be really happy again, Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood