Withdrawal of option to save apps to SD on ICS

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, I'm Rob and I'm new to this forum,

I'd just like to say, I'm not a huge smartphone expert and I'm only a few months into the 'Android Experience', so if there are any mistakes, please correct them. I know there are already lots of threads on this topic but I feel it's easier to 'start from the beginning' rather than trying to piece together bits of different threads and probably coming up with an incorrect conclusion.

Anyway, a few months ago, I purchased my first smartphone, a Gingerbread Huawei Ascend G300. Soon after getting it, it was full of apps (it only has 2GB of internal storage), but I noticed the apps could be transferred to an ext.SD, so I bought a 64GB SD card (for media purposes as well as for apps). Things were good until I upgraded to ICS a couple of days ago, only to find that transferring apps to ext.SD was no longer an option. I was irritated shall we say, as I guess many others were. What I want to know is;

1) Why would this be done? It's clear that so many people, like me, find putting apps on ext.SD to be a great feature.

2) Was it done out of an assumption that the feature wasn't useful or was it just not seen to be worth the effort? If anyone knows, that'd be great.

3) Was it Android who performed this action? I ask this because I assume that it was but again, I'm relatively new to smartphones so I don't know for sure. Plus some people have claimed that their ICS phone still provides the option to put apps on SD?

4) I hear that this was an issue with Honeycomb too. If this is the case, does that mean it's unlikely the feature will be restored either on ICS or any future firmware? Or is there a chance that it will be restored? Again, if anyone knows...

5) Finally, what's the best way to get Android's attention directly? I plan to contact them on the issue.

Thankyou,

Rob :)

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The reasoning on Google's part was more for security of the devices as well as malware minimization. Apps moved to a sd card are possibly exposed to malicious software which can attack a sd card quicker and easier than the main device memory.

The sd cards were cheaper than internal memory at the time so they allowed the apps to be transferred. As the malware started to increase, Google removed the option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

kteirvine

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Try using App to SD. Comes free and you can pay to upgrade if you like what you see. Allows you to clear cache and move apps to SD card

awriternot

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I've not had any issues moving anything. Am I missing something? I'm using ICS

Sent from my Unrooted Droid Razr Maxx Using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith