No custom ringtone on my metroPCS WTF?!

ljproud

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm fairly new to smart phones in general but am getting acquainted quickly. I have a LG Motion with metroPCS running ice cream sandwich. I've loaded .mp3 files to my phone and using the file manager Astrofile I placed them in the folder "ringtones" which already existed.

Could not find it in sounds later. Have also tried creating new audio folders in media and placing them there, no use. Also noticed that when I try to put them in the folder root/Alarms they don't show up in alarms either. Have tried rebooting my phone in the meanwhile.

I know that I could download some app to do this for me. But feel like I should be able to just do it myself. I mean, how do the apps do it? I don't want to buy metro's ringtones, and I don't want free apps that want access to my contact data and network preferences. I've tried searching the forums but have not found an answer beyond "put the file in the ringtones folder."

Any help would be appreciated as this is quite frustrating.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Try creating a folder "Ringtones" but have it as a subfolder of "Media" on your phone main memory. The media folder probably already exists

ljproud

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
No dice. The media folder exists. I created Ringtones inside and placed a new copy of the mp3s.

I left the originals in the "Ringtones" folder directly outside the media folder (that came with the phone) but neither place has mattered

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
No dice. The media folder exists. I created Ringtones inside and placed a new copy of the mp3s.

I left the originals in the "Ringtones" folder directly outside the media folder (that came with the phone) but neither place has mattered

Sorry, but that is exactly what I did and it works fine. I don't have any other suggestions

ljproud

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Blast. You have Verizon though right?

I was thinking maybe metroPCS blocks it to try and force you to do it their way. On a side note: every once in a while I get a banner pop up asking if I want to upgrade my service...

ljproud

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Maybe if I just go and start manually disabling bloatware on my phone? I'll just go down the list and disable stuff and see if it changes anything.

ljproud

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Okay, none of the disabling did anything.

I can access the files I added through AstroFile, and when I open them through AstroFile it plays them on music players little player (that lets you play, scroll, and pause). But then when I actually open music player I can't find my songs. All categories are empty, including folders. I had added them with a usb cord if that makes any difference. If I could get them open on musicplayer maybe I could set as ringtone from there?

I now have at least one of these .mp3's in the following folders:

mnt/sdcard/Ringtones
mnt/sdcard/notifications
mnt/sdcard/my_music
mnt/sdcard/my_music/db
mnt/sdcard/Music
mnt/sdcard/Alarms (just to see if I could find it in alarms.)

The ones I created in media which are:
mnt/sdcard/media/Ringtones
mnt/sdcard/media/audio/Ringtones

and can still only access it through Astrofile. Augh, I must be missing something painfully obvious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21