Android 4.0.4 Loading High Resolution Images Issue

Panda network

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,
This is my first post on androidcentral :)

So yeah, i just bought a new cheap android tablet
Code:
Hardware Specs:
512mb ddr3 Ram
MALI-400 GPU
Arm-v7 1Ghz processor

What i'm trying to do is to load 70Megapixel and larger images.
The issue is that most if not all apps crash when trying to load such large images! By now, i have found only 2 free apps that don't
crash at 70 megapixels when loading such images.

These apps are:
- QuickPic
- Super-HD Player (which came by default with my tablet)

Now i was able to load up to 20Mb 70Megapixel images with QuickPic and up to 25Mb with Super-HD Player.
But the issue is that i have even larger images than these to load! And none of them would load on these 2 apps, the QuickPic app just plain crashes and the
Super-HD Player just hangs frozen.

Now i know that 512Mb of ddr3 memory and my processor is more than enough to load such an image..
So my question to you guys is;
Is there an app out there to load such large images ? (it doesn't matter whether it's free or commercial)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You should take a look at how much free memory you have, not just the amount that comes with the tablet. Furthermore, it all depends on how the application is loading the image file. When you say "crash," do you mean that you get an Application Not Responding/Force Close dialog? If so, it may mean that the application is using a method of loading the image that is taking a very long time. If it is not properly multi-threaded, this will cause the application's UI to hang until it has finished loading the image.

I can't comment on any applications in particular, as I only deal with images that large on my desktop machines. And welcome to AC! Feel free to post something up in the Introductions forum. :)

Pat

Panda network

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
You should take a look at how much free memory you have, not just the amount that comes with the tablet. Furthermore, it all depends on how the application is loading the image file. When you say "crash," do you mean that you get an Application Not Responding/Force Close dialog? If so, it may mean that the application is using a method of loading the image that is taking a very long time. If it is not properly multi-threaded, this will cause the application's UI to hang until it has finished loading the image.

I can't comment on any applications in particular, as I only deal with images that large on my desktop machines. And welcome to AC! Feel free to post something up in the Introductions forum. :)

Pat

Hi Pat!
Is there an app to monitor and display the memory usage of my android tablet in real time on screen or though a pc?
If so, could you give me its name ?
Non real time usage statistics would be meaningless as the android os seems to be recovering most of the used memory when i press the home/back button.

When i say crash, it's more like the application just plain closes itself without any not responding dialog box.

Last edited: