PLEASE HELP Pantech Element internal memory problem

chris_burkett

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
ok so here is my problem i have a Pantech Element P4100 on Android version 4.0.4. ok so my problem is everytime i intall my micro sd card into the tablet it reads it fine but when i go to settings and click storage it shows all of my files that are currently on the ext micro SD card on the INTERNAL MEMORY!! my tablet has a 12gb of internal memory and when i install the sd card it fills up the internal memory, so i can not install any new apps. (i have a 64 gb sd card) but i also tried with a 2gb card and it did the same thing, made the Misc folder on the internal memory appear full. Somehow the tablet is confusing the external memory with the internal. is there any way to fix this ???PLEASE HELP thanks in advance for any help Chris

MatMcD

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Need HELP on this one! Having same problem as chris_burkett. Pantech Element ICS 4.0.4 o/s Insufficient memory errors while updating. 11gb free on sdcard until mounting external_SD card. Then external_sd card misc. files are magically recatorized as being on the sdcard.Tried soft reboot, hard reboot, Clean Sweep app, tried removing .odx files, tried clearing cache of Google Play, Framwork, etc. System will not update or install new apps! Is there a work around before I do a factory reset?

snowfreeze

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Need HELP on this one! Having same problem as chris_burkett. Pantech Element ICS 4.0.4 o/s Insufficient memory errors while updating. 11gb free on sdcard until mounting external_SD card. Then external_sd card misc. files are magically recatorized as being on the sdcard.Tried soft reboot, hard reboot, Clean Sweep app, tried removing .odx files, tried clearing cache of Google Play, Framwork, etc. System will not update or install new apps! Is there a work around before I do a factory reset?

This has NOTHING to do with free space on your SD card or any of the other things you stated above. You need hundreds of MBs free INTERNALLY. That is for the OS to even operate. Its too bad google didnt just block that amount off automatically instead of allowing people to install to it and run into this error... (As you may or may not already know, many apps will not move to sd card or will break if you are able to move them). You need to free up internal mem space.

MatMcD

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I think I know what's going on here now. The internal storage root directory, indicated as /, is of a predetermined size. The remainder of the internal memory is un-dedicated space or system storage not unlike a partitioned drive. An app is first downloaded to / then it is installed to the system storage, ie: sdcard, or the media storage, ie: external_sd (physically known as a microsd card). So apparently the OS also writes Cache and Data files to / which over time shrinks the size of available memory for temp files, such as downloaded apps, which then throws the insufficient memory errors. (It's not insufficient memory for the installation of the app that is indicated by the error but a insufficient TEMPORARY memory to download the file to /root) Can I also assume this creates other spurious errors not unlike a windows system with insufficient drive space for a swap or page file? May I also assume that without root authorization the internal system storage / can not be increased and one must be aware of and regularly clear Cache and or Data files?

Last edited:

trace300

May 24, 2014
Visit site
It is an issue. The internal memory within / is approximately 1 GB. I recently could not update Chrome without removing cache and data from various apps to get enough free memory to allow the update. If you figure out a way to expand the / partition to larger then 1 GB, please chime in.

Perhaps this is an option but I haven't tried it. Note: USB Debugging is under Developer options on the Element:

http://www.howtogeek.com/114667/how...y-default-move-almost-any-app-to-the-sd-card/

Update: Tried it - works. you are able to move apps to Media Storage from System Storage which previously could not be moved. Correct command line in platform-tools> is:

adb shell pm set-install-location 2

Last edited:

Denis_Zenest

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Thank you to all who've replied to this post and Chris for asking this. I'd all but given up on my panteh element but this has made things crystal clear. I am greatful and appreciate you all very much! Sincerely, Denis"more Zen than then" M. YA'LL FREAKIN' ROCK!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae