Help....when I turn my phone on the start up screen keeps repeating?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
What I've gathered is if the phone is not rooted, there is no recovery to boot into, hence the red triangle.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

eileen_g

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I guess a good place to start is asking this. Have you attempted rooting this phone or are you running a custom ROM? Were you able to boot into recovery mode, and then it showed you the android with the red exclamation point?

Yes I did, for a short while.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
May not be the best solution, but have you tried a factory reboot, since booting into recovery is a no go?

Might work. Samsung experience says no. I was hoping to reboot into recovery to clear cache. Right now, I think the best thing to do is flash a stock ROM back, and hope that fixes whatever went wrong.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it was ever rooted...

I think clearing the cache partition might work. But all data on the phone (not sd) will be wiped.

She's got nothing to lose. If it doesn't work, I think flashing a Stock ROM is probably the next choice. Aside from taking it to the carrier and playing dumb...

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
All right, I'm on the case, now to read this thread and help out.

TL/DR: Monitoring this bread.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so after reading this, I have the way to fix this (I hope)!

So, pull out the battery or shut down the device.
From there, place battery back in if you took it out.
Hold down Volume Down and hold down Power until you boot into the HBOOT menu (The screen with info at the top and 3 skateboarding Androids at the bottom).
Select the RECOVERY option using the Volume buttons.
Your phone will show the HTC EVO 4G screen, then you'll see a black screen with a phone laying down with green arrows. Wait until it turns into a red triangle with an exclamation point inside the triangle and from there, hold down the Volume Up and then press the Power button. You should now see a small list. Congrats, you're in the stock recovery!

From there, select "Wipe /cache", and if it has the option too, "wipe /dalvick-cache".

Reboot the device. If all is successful, congrats, your phone works again!

And yes, lack of system memory will cause apps to Force Close. I had a Motorola Flipside that only allowed 70 MB for installing apps! And technically, I only had 55 MB due to low storage issues. That caused a lot of apps to crash, and ultimately, the phone.

Hope this helps.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so after reading this, I have the way to fix this (I hope)!

So, pull out the battery or shut down the device.
From there, place battery back in if you took it out.
Hold down Volume Down and hold down Power until you boot into the HBOOT menu (The screen with info at the top and 3 skateboarding Androids at the bottom).
Select the RECOVERY option using the Volume buttons.
Your phone will show the HTC EVO 4G screen, then you'll see a black screen with a phone laying down with green arrows. Wait until it turns into a red triangle with an exclamation point inside the triangle and from there, hold down the Volume Up and then press the Power button. You should now see a small list. Congrats, you're in the stock recovery!

From there, select "Wipe /cache", and if it has the option too, "wipe /dalvick-cache".

Reboot the device. If all is successful, congrats, your phone works again!

And yes, lack of system memory will cause apps to Force Close. I had a Motorola Flipside that only allowed 70 MB for installing apps! And technically, I only had 55 MB due to low storage issues. That caused a lot of apps to crash, and ultimately, the phone.

Hope this helps.

A few questions for you:

1. Is it just the full memory that made her phone go nuts?

2. Steps to take to stop this from happening again; i.e. more frequent rebooting?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
A few questions for you:

1. Is it just the full memory that made her phone go nuts?

2. Steps to take to stop this from happening again; i.e. more frequent rebooting?

1. Yes and no. The absolute lowest possible threshold to go down to is 10 MB (Android 2.1+ limits you when you hit only 15 MB of free space). Once you hit 10, a lot of apps begin to crash. The OS uses system memory for cache and RAM, which is odd. But any who, once system memory dips that low, the phone goes nuts.

However, a malicious app or an app that needed to be "refreshed" (wiping dalvik cache after a system update). I think it's stupid that OTAs don't automatically wipe the dalvik for you.

2. Clear app caches often, uninstall unused apps, all else fails, go to recovery and clear cache.

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums