Better Memory Management in Jellybean?

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm eligible for a new phone. Several of the phones available to me have only 1 gb of ram. My current phone is an HTC EVO 4G, running Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread?), and it has 1gb of ram. I'm CONSTANTLY finding it slowing down (or just having to reload the entire UI when I switch programs, I get an HTC screen instead of the Sense screen for a few seconds). So I originially said I HAD to have at least 2gb ram.

BUT, I keep hearing how ram is irrelevant. It hasn't been for me. But are there improvements in Android's memory handling between Gingerbread and Jellybean that 1gb is enough? Or was I right and need to move to 2gb?

Steve

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
jelly beans is quite an improvement in memory handling. browsers suck the life out of the phone in memory drain. many phones are coming with 2 gigs. good move to 2.

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to understand the difference between internal STORAGE and RAM (forgetting for now Memory card storage). My current phone (HTC EVO 4G) has 1gb of storage and 512k of ram. It slows down, and I look at Settings-Applications-Manage Applications, and I see that my free Storage is down to 50Mb or so. If I delete apps and free up to say 90mb of Storage free, I'm good. But this is not RAM, right? This is STORAGE?

Also, sometimes, when I close an app, the phone has to reload Sense, so I get a white "HTC" screen for a minute or so till my home screen comes back. That's Ram, not Storage, right?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7