How to re-install factory version of an App?

Griffinit

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a Sony Xperia Miro and uninstalled the Facebook App (which comes pre-installed. When I clicked "uninstall" it informed me,if I wanted to re-install, I must only re-install the Facebook factory version. I should have stopped there, but clicked to go ahead by mistake. Facebook is no longer in the list of "All" Apps, and I can't find how to get a factory installed version for the re-install.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you rooted or unrooted? On an unrooted (i.e., standard and unmodified) phone, you can only uninstall all updates to a preinstalled app like Facebook. If you do that, the system will reinstall the original preinstalled version of the app.

Are you looking at the System Settings/Apps menu? Are you sure you're looking under "All," and not "Downloaded"? Uninstalling all updates to Facebook would remove it from the "Downloaded" list and put it back in the "All" list.

Griffinit

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not rooted. Yes, I am looking at "All", not downloaded. It's not there in "All" any more since uninstalling. That's the problem.

As it's not there, how can I install "updates"?

(by the way, it was never in "downloaded" - I assume because it was pre-installed. It was in always "All" - that's where I made the mistake of uninstalling it. )

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's strange. Can you install the full Facebook app from Google Play?

Also, do you have Sony's PC Companion (link here: Computer software - Sony Smartphones (UK)) installed on your computer? Not sure, but maybe you could restore factory installed apps using that software. You shouldn't have to, though, since you shouldn't be able to completely uninstall preinstalled apps.

Griffinit

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
That's strange. Can you install the full Facebook app from Google Play?

Oddly enough I had just discovered the solution and was coming back here to post it, when I found you'd found the answer too.

While FB completely disappears from the phone, it shows on my Google "All" Apps as disabled, so am just able to re-enable. :)

Useful tip for anyone losing apps on their phones.

(yes I do have PC Companion, but doesn't look like you can install apps using it)

Thanks for help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! That was in the back of my mind, but I didn't think it would be disabled if you hadn't done it yourself.

Posted via Android Central App