Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Catfromuk
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help..what happened?

Hope someone can help me out. My husband got a brand new Samsung Galaxy Discover in July. Used for text mostly, few game apps on there but that's all. In Sep he tried to turn it on one morning and wouldn't work. I performed a recovery mode system reboot...still wouldn't work. He took the phone in to Telus who sent it to Samsung and heard from them yesterday that they are saying that he changed the operating system. They said he rooted the phone which we hadn't even heard of until yesterday and he didn't change, add or delete anything. What could have happened to his phone and is there anything we can do because they are now saying he voided warranty and won't fix unless he pays $150...I could just buy him a new phone but am scared this happens again...help!

Default Re: Help..what happened?

Welcome to Android Central! Where did you get the phone originally? Was it directly from an official Telus store, or was it from a 3rd party? If it wasn't directly from Telus, there's always the possibility that someone sold you a used/refurbished phone and passed it off as brand new. If you got it from Telus, it's worth asking them if they ever sell refurbished or returned phones as new, because maybe that's what happened to you. Someone might have had your phone for a week or two, rooted it and played around, then decided they didn't want it, unrooted it, and returned it to Telus (or wherever you bought it). Even if the phone is unrooted again, there will still be a record that it was rooted.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the welcome and for replying. It was bought from Future Shop and sold as brand new, sealed in plastic case etc. It just makes no sense to us at all that what they are saying at Samsung has happened when the phone has been in our possession. There was nothing downloaded to the phone that would have caused an issue and it was working perfectly fine one evening and next day, no good. We are currently at a standstill with Samsung. They refuse to fix unless we pay $150 and wont even return the phone unfixed unless we pay $25...not impressed!

That sounds ridiculous. Let me find out if phones that have been rooted in the past retain the information of when it was rooted. If it did, and if that date happened to be before the date on your receipt, you could present that as evidence to Samsung that you never rooted it yourself.

One of my compadres pointed out this thread: "Your device have been modified, Software updates are not available" but I didn't install any custo

Were you using an SD card in your phone?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yes we were

Do you remember what the capacity of the card was and the speed class?

Posted via Android Central App
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

It was a class 10...16 gigabyte.

Can't say for sure, but it's a possibility that the SD was messing things up. Wish I could say for certain.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Well I appreciate your help. Even just knowing that the SD card has that potential will help in future should something similar occur again. Thanks
    B. Diddy likes this.