1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Re-enabling background data for Play Store

I have restricted background data for the Google Play Store app from the Data Usage settings screen. However, apps only appear in the list on this screen if they have used data recently. I rarely use the Play Store, and my phone only keeps records of the last two months' usage. If in a few months I want to use the Play Store, how will I re-enable it?

For any other app, it would simply be a matter of opening it and using some foreground data. It would then appear in the list and I could deselect the "Restrict background data" option. However, Google Play stubbornly refuses to start at all if background data is off, even if I'm connected to wifi.

At the moment, this is a hypothetical question. But is there another way to access the "Restrict background data" setting for an app other than through the Data Usage screen?

Global Posts
    13,804 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Re-enabling background data for Play Store

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Rawle View Post
    I have restricted background data for the Google Play Store app from the Data Usage settings screen. However, apps only appear in the list on this screen if they have used data recently. I rarely use the Play Store, and my phone only keeps records of the last two months' usage. If in a few months I want to use the Play Store, how will I re-enable it?

For any other app, it would simply be a matter of opening it and using some foreground data. It would then appear in the list and I could deselect the "Restrict background data" option. However, Google Play stubbornly refuses to start at all if background data is off, even if I'm connected to wifi.

At the moment, this is a hypothetical question. But is there another way to access the "Restrict background data" setting for an app other than through the Data Usage screen?
    Welcome to the forums.
    I think the only way to do what you are asking is by going into settings and unchecking restrict background data.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, but that isn't actually a way of doing what I'm asking. There is no option to unckeck "restrict background data" for the Play Store app as this no longer appears in the list of apps using data.

Does anyone know of an app that provides control over the per-app background data restrictions?

The inductions I'm about to give are very hard to follow: settings- apps- Google play strore- remove updates. Now see if that worked