Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Default Re: [How To] Remove Predictive Text and Bring Back Punctuation

Now if we could just get autocorrect to work properly. Really wish it would type "I'm" instead of "im", etc.

Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it does not have the Android Keyboard installed. My phone has the Samsung keyboard but it does not have the options you are referring to. Can you advise any way around this?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Ayres View Post
    Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it does not have the Android Keyboard installed. My phone has the Samsung keyboard but it does not have the options you are referring to. Can you advise any way around this?
    then you probably wont have the predictive text instead of punctuation. in fact you will get punctuation and prediction according to your use.

Unfortunately I do the latest update to 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, which I downloaded this morning converted it but without the option the other Android phones seem to have. I've currently downloaded the Jelly Bean keyboard app which allows me to get around this but I find it ugly.

Hi, I recently bought an S3 mini. In the shop, the assistant did some "magic" to my phone to turn off predictive text to give spelling corrections instead, as well as a choice of 6 or so punctuation marks in the bar above Qwerty, which appeared between words. This was very useful indeed. A couple of days ago, there was an update to my phone and this feature has been missing since.

I can turn predictive text on and off. There is no option for "next word prediction" that I can find. I followed the suggested procedure on this thread but I have no "Android keyboard" option. There must be a way to get the functionality back.....please anybody? Thanks in advance for your help.

Unhappy Re: [How To] Remove Predictive Text and Bring Back Punctuation

Hi experts, I have upgraded to JB on my S3 using Vodafone OTA and have not got the android keyboard installed - only the Samsung and it does not give me the options to turn off next word predictive, so I've lost the punctuation bar. I've also lost the ICS facility to edit the dictionaries for words and substitutions. The ICS predictive customisation options were really useful. As this interface (keyboard) is the most commonly used facility on my phone I'm not happy at losing the ICS facilities - I would really appreciate some help here. I would go back to ICS for this if I could easily.

OK, I've installed the android keyboard (Johntanmi) and I have my punctuation back because the options are now available

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

rpeng58 - which keyboard did you install? Google Play is offfering Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean 4.2?

A reply would be much appreciated as I am really missing the Punctuation suggestions. Damn these bloody updates!

I'm having the same problem with my phone. I was on 4.1.1 and installed the update OTA for the 4.1.2 and lost my punctuation bar which I find more useful than some software trying to guess my next word. I have used some of the ICS keyboards but they don't seem to accommodate the swipe texting, I would also like to retain the Samsung keyboard. Is there anyway i can roll back the update to 4.1.1 or edit something in the coding?
    Last edited by howie91; 01-16-2013 at 03:36 PM.

I'm having the same problems on my s3. I moved from 4.1.1 OTA to 4.1.2 and now I don't have my punctuation bar which is far more useful than a bit of software trying to guess what I'm saying next and just slowing me down. I have tried some of the ICS keyboards, but they don't seem to like the swipe texting and as such i would like to keep my Samsung keyboard. Is it possible to roll back to 4.1.1 or edit a portion of the code?

Hi Glastoboy, to get the punctuation bar back I installed the Johntanmi android keyboard for jellybean. The free version has the settings you need to turn off next word prediction, the donate version gives you more options. You can get this keyboard on Google play.

Howie91, if you like swipe texting you could try the Swype keyboard, try the beta 1.4. I'm using this right now and it's very good. You can't get this from Google play, so search on the web and you'll have to check the install apps from unknown sources option (remember to uncheck it after the install).

Hope this helps, I'm a newbie to android so I'm learning as I go (I upgraded from a Nokia 3410 a couple of months ago), the forums are fantastic for getting help and advice. Many thanks to all the experts who share their knowledge.

Thanked by:

Cool Re: [How To] Remove Predictive Text and Bring Back Punctuation

YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER! They've changed it so you don't need to go into Advanced Settings now,but still, this helped immensely and validated my opinion that removing the punctuations were a HUGE MISTAKE!

I can turn off the predictive text on my Galaxy S3 but it doesn't bring back the punctuation. I hate not having it. Typing a period DOES bring it up - a bit late of course. I have only a Samsung keyboard. Only option is for Swype keyboard. No Android. Anyone have any help for me?

Hi Peggy, try the johntanmi keyboard that I suggested earlier, this one still gives you the punctuation bar when you press the space bar.

Thank you. I'll give it a try. Appreciate the fast response.

Thanks!!!

Thank you, rpeng58! I really appreciate your suggestion! You were very helpful! I've downloaded the keyboard app you suggested & it works great! I had major issues trying to compose a text mssg. since the update plus the punctuation bar issues.

Now, do you have a suggestion for an easy app that gives the time on how long a phone call lasted?? I used to be able to view it in the call log but that function disappeared with the update.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you or another used may have! Thanks in advance!

Hi tiarosi, when I go into the standard call logger I can open the call log for a specific day and it shows the length of each call made.

Open the phone app and pick the day you want to check, then select the person you called. If you tap to open you should see something like the attached screenshot:

I'm not sure how accurate it is, I haven't tested it, but it should be fairly simple to do.

HTH

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [How To] Remove Predictive Text and Bring Back Punctuation-uploadfromtaptalk1364425577447.jpg  
    Thanked by:

Thank you, repeng. That is how it used to be but no longer since the update and I miss that capability of knowing the length of my calls. It was also on my Evo before an update disabled that function, too. I don't mean to be picky, but on the GS3 the log lists the Contacts on the date called but not in one block for each number. Ex., Contact 1 & I spoke 3 times, Office once, Contact 1 again, Contact 2, Office again & so on in time order called not each contact in one block as above. It sounds confusing but I hope it makes sense. I don't know how to show a screen shot to better explain it. That's why I'd like an app to get that capability back.

Thanks in advance!

Hi again tiarosi, I'm not using any call logger apps other than standard as you saw from the screen shot. A quick look on Google play shows some apps that could do what you want e.g. [How To] Remove Predictive Text and Bring Back Punctuation-uploadfromtaptalk1364454291276.jpg
    Good luck with your search.
    Thanked by:

Hi, rpeng. Thank you! I'll check that one out.

Unhappy Re: [How To] Remove Predictive Text and Bring Back Punctuation

I need help. I went under Language and Input, then looked under Keyboards and input methods, but I only have the options of "google voice typing" or "Samsung keyboard". Under neither of these cancels the "predict next word" option. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by rpeng58 View Post
    OK, I've installed the android keyboard (Johntanmi) and I have my punctuation back because the options are now available

How do I install the Android Keyboard?

I downloaded the keyboard, but what do I select in the options to undo predict next word? Thanks in advance.

Hi Hannah, sorry for the delay in responding. I have moved onto a different keyboard since the johntanmi and I highly recommend you give it a try - Swype. It's so much faster to use and very well written with plenty of options. Try downloading the beta version (free) and live with it for a while, I very much doubt you'll go back.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using AC Forums mobile app
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast