Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Question Google Now commute times

I can't seem to figure out how to get Google Now to show me my estimated commute times before I leave for work / home. I got the JB upgrade over the weekend, so I've had 3.5 days' worth of commuting, but it never shows me my that info. Whenever I look up a place, Google Now immediately shows me how long it will take to get there with current traffic conditions. So the traffic cards seem to work; I'm guessing it hasn't yet figured out where I work/live yet. Does it just take time to learn your routes? It would be nice if there was a way you could just tell it when and where you commute takes place, but that doesn't appear to be an option.

I don't have JB yet so I don't know the specifics of how the feature works, but I know you can set your home and work addresses manually in the Maps app under Location History. If you haven't done that yet, try it. It might help.

Default Re: Google Now commute times

Funny I just saw your post.

Today, drove across town for lunch. When I walked out and got in my car a card popped up with the route home and drive time. Seriously.

It was sweet! Here comes SkyNet!!!

Oh, and you can set your home address, I used GMaps Navigation and it let me set my Home as my Home on a GNow card. Pretty slick.

ROM
    Something Jelly

I don't remember how long it took mine, but it was definitely a couple of trips. I think I might have searched for my work a couple of times to help it learn.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Nice, that seemed to do it. Thanks everybody. Now to see how accurate it is on my drive home...

ROM
    MMuzzy's Jelly Bean 4.2.1

Just manually set your home and work addresses and it will work perfectly from that point forward.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have a side question but it does pertain to google commute. How do you show the commute times from the pulldown? I noticed there were 3 lines simular to the expand button to see additional information. I pressed it and lost the commute info., how do I get it back?

Thanks to everybody for the tips, any more specific instruction on where to find the set work address? I only see the set home address within Google Navigation

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Answered my own question today, I discovered that you can send your home and work addresses if you visit maps.google.com. It prompted me to enter them as I was asking for some directions tonight. And, now tonight I'm seeing traffic information for my commute to work.

Thought I would post this in case it can someone else out!

My commute times are about 10 mins off. Maybe I just drive too fast

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by t3chn0mag3 View Post
    I have a side question but it does pertain to google commute. How do you show the commute times from the pulldown? I noticed there were 3 lines simular to the expand button to see additional information. I pressed it and lost the commute info., how do I get it back?
    In case this is still an issue, the 3 horizontal bar icon is the "dismiss all notifications" button. If you want to see the commute times again, just open up Gnow again and the card should still be there.

ROM

When Google Now first established my home and work locations, it told me to take a more direct (surface) route. I take the highway however, as it has less traffic and I don't have to stop for the 15 lights (I've counted, my GPS insists on this way as well) along the surface route into the city.

After a week, Google Now recognized that I take the highway to work and gives me the time to commute that way but still displays traffic and drive time back along the surface streets.

Just thought this was peculiar.

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Give it time and it'll fix it. Mine took 3 weeks to realize that I usually drop my wife off at work and pick her up on the way back, and has started including that in my commute. It's kind of neat. And stalker-ish.
    Thanked by:

ROM

I just thought it was odd that it changed one direction and not the other.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock KitKat 4.4.2

I usually go to work on the city streets and come home on the freeway. And here I thought I was so smart because what I thought was Google showing me the shortest route was actually just that it had learned the way I go.

Google Now keeps giving me a really odd path to work. My path to work is direct on the highway since i live and work only 1 block off highway exits. However it has came up with a path of me driving on a different highway, way out of the way to show on my card as the way to get to work.

Somehow the return trip it knows that i should just go straight home on the highway as I normally do. It doesn't make any sense. It has kept this for days and doesn't seem to be changing. If you were to see the path youd see there is no logical reason to do this. It came up with a path that takes 2x longer than what it normally takes and includes driving miles in the wrong direction only to get back onto the same highway I take. Hopefully they fix this as its incredibly stupid. I can't think of a reason it would all of a sudden do this

Perhaps it does that to avoid traffic? It is actually not uncommon with many GPS devices. I could never see the logic either.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Full Stock

The problem I keep having is similar, but odd. My commute card shows up all the time except right before I leave home for work, or leave work for home. For example, my work commute card is showing right now, and I'm off today. I guarantee that tomorrow morning when I leave for work, the card won't be there.

In a 5 day week, 4 days I go to one location and 1 day I go to a completely different one. Usually the 1 is on a Wednesday but sometimes it's a different day, GN isn't going to know. But it's already figured out that on Wednesdays I mostly go to the different location and that's the card I get at first. You can always "show more cards" and get a few suggestions.

One other suggestion is to enable Lattitude. I think that might help.

Have any of you found a way to change the route that Google shows traffic times for? I have traffic cards showing up before and after work but it isn't the route I take. It has my home and work addresses but shows commute times for a different route.
    Recordist

ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

Do you need to have GPS enabled all the time for this commute time feature to start working, or will it work off of Wifi and cell network? I usually keep my GPS radio turned off unless I need to use GPS for something.

I rarely have GPS on and it works just fine for me.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

It is very intuitive it figured out that I make a stop at the 7-11 and factored that in my time on my way home. Is this scary or what? it adjusted some fast my Garmin usually takes about a week.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Has anybody dismissed one of those "Do you care about traffic information to New Place" cards accidentally? For some reason Now asked me about traffic to my home address even though I have it set in Maps and have been receiving the traffic card for months. Well, when that new card popped up right behind my Traffic to Home card I immediately told it "No" since the cards had already been working correctly and I didn't want a second card for the same place. Unfortunately that seems to have caused some kind of havoc with my Traffic to Home card, because now it won't display. I have still received some traffic notifications, so I know it's tracking my commute, but it won't actually display the card.

Does anybody know how to reset that "Do you care about traffic information to New Place" setting??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast