Did they fix Move App to SD card or R they going to be like Apple

kelso41129

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm really pissed since the ICS wouldn't let you move your apps to your SD card. That's one of the main reasons I would never buy an Apple product because you can't put just anything you have on the iPhones and I pods ect... I have everything in Droid and when I got the ICS we couldn't move crap and now we have 16GB tablets with SD cards for total of 32gb and now its like apple can't upgrade son why have it. I hope the new Jelly Bean let's you move your apps to make room like it use to before they ruint it. Does anyone know if that's going to be fixed? I mean hell we pay good money for tablets and phones and can't upgrade storage with an SD card if it won't let you move your apps.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Did they fix Move App to SD card or R they going to be like A

I dont know what you are talking about... moving to sd card has always been there in ICS. I have done it few times with my phone...

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I never moved apps to SD, but I just checked my GNex and XOOM, both running Jelly Bean from eos. Neither can move apps to SD.

Never missed it, because I never needed it. I just use the SD on the XOOM for movies.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Going forward, this isn't a necesary feature - IMO.

swishy250

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Well, when you think about it, its not really needed if you have a high end device with an internal storage space of 8gb or 16. Also, there's probably some mod or hack for ics and jb to support app2sd. I would look on here or xda devs.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

I'm really pissed since the ICS wouldn't let you move your apps to your SD card. That's one of the main reasons I would never buy an Apple product because you can't put just anything you have on the iPhones and I pods ect... I have everything in Droid and when I got the ICS we couldn't move crap and now we have 16GB tablets with SD cards for total of 32gb and now its like apple can't upgrade son why have it. I hope the new Jelly Bean let's you move your apps to make room like it use to before they ruint it. Does anyone know if that's going to be fixed? I mean hell we pay good money for tablets and phones and can't upgrade storage with an SD card if it won't let you move your apps.

Google wants SD cards to go away. They create a lot of headache.

Google talks Galaxy Nexus' lack of USB storage in iOS terms | Electronista

Reactions: Ry

zhan1967

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

I am siding with Kelso on this. I have avoided devices that haven't an external sd-card and devices that do not allow moving apps to the sd-card. I, too, am looking for a solution to this problem. I would like to take this space to thank all devs for their work on everything. I would also like to thank those device snobs for being able to buy those "high end" devices that have no need to move apps to SD. For the rest of us, keep searching, keep sharing!

DavidWh1ttley

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I have just upgraded from a SGSI to the Note 2 and today found out that i am unable to move apps to the SD card. Jelly Bean does not support this. I have had my Note 2 for a week now and together with 2 offline Spotify playlist ( approx. 1 GB) I have already used up 7.3 GB of the 10.4 GB available. I assume the missing 5.6 GB are used by system files.
This is in one week. I admit I do have a few very large games. The largest 10 apps (Spotify storage included) account for more than 3 GB. These are games that I obviously could not play on my old SGSI. So it is quite frustrating that i now own a phone can play demanding games but cannot store the games :-(
I also find it annoying that Samsung use the expandable storage feature to taunt iphone users when the extra storage cannot be used as the user deems fit.

mlewis76

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I have just upgraded from a SGSI to the Note 2 and today found out that i am unable to move apps to the SD card. Jelly Bean does not support this. I have had my Note 2 for a week now and together with 2 offline Spotify playlist ( approx. 1 GB) I have already used up 7.3 GB of the 10.4 GB available. I assume the missing 5.6 GB are used by system files.
This is in one week. I admit I do have a few very large games. The largest 10 apps (Spotify storage included) account for more than 3 GB. These are games that I obviously could not play on my old SGSI. So it is quite frustrating that i now own a phone can play demanding games but cannot store the games :-(
I also find it annoying that Samsung use the expandable storage feature to taunt iphone users when the extra storage cannot be used as the user deems fit.

i know that ppl want the more cuz of its size but take it back and get the 32 gb galaxy s3. 10 gb is not enough for a device that u cant store stuff to the card.

aclerk

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

i too picked up the gnote2 a week ago, just found that i can't move apps to the sd card, however you can move media files over. I've done this with all my images. Not sure about music. but with my tests, i found that when adding new media, the sd card is automatically selected.

definitely sucks that i can't move the apps, but i'm gonna wait and see if rooting it will help.

Fedack

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I logged in just to say this. There are apps and tweaks, some for rooted and some not needing it that allow you to circumvent that issue. Just look into google, you will find multiple answers.

mee27

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Why would anyone not understand moving bloated apps from internal memory to the SD card. If you can't use it why is is provided? It kills me as a long time software developer how large some little app is and how fast it chews up internal memory. It can only be a conspiracy to force users into the hugely more expensive models with more internal storage. BTW, the same device with 32g vs 16g shouldn't be 200 more cost, the memory is getting cheaper. If I want a bunch of apps on my device to make it more useful...why not except that internal storage gets full and I can't push apps to the SD card. Android is no different than Apple except they fool you into thinking the SD card is a usable feature.

Yes, you can root and move apps but that causes problems....the capability exists, they choose to restrict its use. Google that sucks.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree so I aw the change. I bit the. Ullet and got a one x plus 64 gigs of non partitioned internal storage. :). It seems everyone want to push you to the cloud. But what good dose it do if you don't have unlimited data?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree so I aw the change. I bit the. Ullet and got a one x plus 64 gigs of non partitioned internal storage. :). It seems everyone want to push you to the cloud. But what good dose it do if you don't have unlimited data?

I'm assuming a majority of people have WiFi at home, right? :)

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Some people can't offord both. But yrs I do ha e WiFi but what about people that take long comutes to work? They are screwed subways trains carpools. People that have a long drive. People that have kids and want a movie to shut them up for long car rides. Seems Google forgets about theese factors. Data is expensive over the cellular networks. People that flash roms that takes space idk about you.but I don't want something like that on a cloud server. If it gets currupted hello brick.
Seems Google is setting a 16 gig standard with the nexus devices. I mean look at the nexus 7 when it came out 8 and 16 gig models. I think they learned their lesson with the 32 gig. But if the android is flag ship device is limited to that storage why should the pens do any different?? To the dismay of consumers.

James Cope

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
i have all my media on my sd card including 4 movies and phone works fine no need to move apps to sd card. if i havent used an app in a week i delete it

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I understand the reasons Google gives, but it is still a bone headed move until 32 and 64 gb is the norm. They should have set the precedent with the n4 but didn't. Yes I do believe that people would have paid the 50$ more for a 32gb model and not had an issue. Instead in 6 mo ths we are going to have 100 threads about being out of space.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Some people can't offord both. But yrs I do ha e WiFi but what about people that take long comutes to work? They are screwed subways trains carpools. People that have a long drive. People that have kids and want a movie to shut them up for long car rides. Seems Google forgets about theese factors. Data is expensive over the cellular networks. People that flash roms that takes space idk about you.but I don't want something like that on a cloud server. If it gets currupted hello brick.
Seems Google is setting a 16 gig standard with the nexus devices. I mean look at the nexus 7 when it came out 8 and 16 gig models. I think they learned their lesson with the 32 gig. But if the android is flag ship device is limited to that storage why should the pens do any different?? To the dismay of consumers.

...how did those people ever survive before 64GB of flash storage?