HELP! Not able to open camera album after Jelly Bean update!

liana ramlee

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I received the 4.1.1 update just yesterday and without thinking much, simply hit the install now button. Everything seems fine but after restarting the stock camera icon turned into the android icon with the word loading...and subsequently dissapear! So managed to find the camera app in the app drawer and I thought all was ok. However to my suprise I could not get my pictures out from the gallery album. I am thinking of doing a factory reset and trying to do a back up of my precious pictures but they just will not load when I connect to my pc via usb. Is there any other way to do a back up of my pictures? I tried drop box app but it simply is not able to upload anything from my gallery album. Pls help!! I don't want to lose my pictures!!

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
How do you know where it is going if you cannot open it? Try downloading a file manager so you can view what exactly is inside the folder. That will also allow you to copy the files to a different location as a backup. This is the one I use: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm&feature=search_result

You could also try another gallery app like this one to see if you can at least get something to work: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moblynx.galleryics&feature=search_result

yanimoth

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
my galaxy nexus cannot open camera and i cannot view my gallery at all. Is this because of jellybean updates? how can i save my pictures in gallery and open back my camera without being force to close it. Is the any place to make a report on this issue?

liana ramlee

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a few albums in my gallery and only the camera album will not open. The cover of the album will show the last picture that i took, that's how i know it went in. Now i just realise I can view one picture at a time when i use the camera and swipe to the left. I can't open the camera album for the thumbnail view or download the pictures to any external storage. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Oh by the way, i downloaded quickpic and my pictures can be view from there. Not really a solution as all my apps will be gone together with the pics if i do a factory reset, will it not?

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Iam interested to know about the jellybean updates for the using of android cameras and wat are the issuses to operate that?
What are the steps to clear that after the jellybean updates?

heycbob

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi, i finally got 4.0.2 update on my yakjuux gnex this week, i got jb update this morning, and now i cant see any of my pics, and all my music is gone too! theyre all still on the memory though, and it seems the update copied the sdcard folder to an sdcard0 folder. Wonder whats up with that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Tabbyz

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem. I am actually panicked at the moment. I got the Jelly Bean update the other day, and have accessed my gallery several times, but today out of nowhere it stopped working. The other folders (Instagram, Downloads, Foursquare, Screenshots etc...) will open fine, but the "Camera" folder with all of my personal photos (998 of them) will open for a brief second and then close immediately. I actually plugged my phone into the laptop to transfer all the pictures out of it (as I do every couple of months anyway) and it freezes halfway through the transfer. I even tried opening the file folders themselves and when I get to the Camera folder to open it, it only loads 232 of my 998 pictures/videos and and locks up the Windows Explorer program on my laptop. I too can swipe one at a time if I click on the thumbnail while the camera app is open and I can also view them with my fishbowl app but I have no way to save them from that app and if i do a factory restore it will delete all my pictures and I CANNOT lose these pictures. I really hope someone has a solution to this.

I have a few albums in my gallery and only the camera album will not open. The cover of the album will show the last picture that i took, that's how i know it went in. Now i just realise I can view one picture at a time when i use the camera and swipe to the left. I can't open the camera album for the thumbnail view or download the pictures to any external storage. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Oh by the way, i downloaded quickpic and my pictures can be view from there. Not really a solution as all my apps will be gone together with the pics if i do a factory reset, will it not?

Tabbyz

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
SOLVED!!!!!! Ok, I found the resolution on another post. Go to Settngs, Apps, All, Gallery ( now this sounds scary but it worked) click on clear data and clear cache. It will pop up and say all content will be permanently erased but just click ok anyway. All my pictures are still there and the gallery is working just fine. Whew! :)

anon(701772)

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I've tried this for the Media Server app with no luck on my existing music or pictures on my internal memory (sdcard aka sdcard0). I never thought of doing this in the Gallery app itself. I'll try this as well as trying to clear data in any and/or all music apps.

4LW4YS_LE4RN1NG

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Fortunately there is no shortage of information in here. Unfortunately, I have gone as far as I can without directly asking. I have had all the problems listed above with 1 major difference, after my pictures went missing I was not (and still can not) view my pictures in QuickPic or File Explorer. I have not downloaded any ROM Managers, I have cleared all my caches, I have deleted all .nomedia files I can find, and I have rebooted numerous times. I am also aware that jellybean conveniently makes recovering deleted files impossible therefore I have written off any miracle to get my pictures/videos back.
At this point I am wondering, are there any fresh ideas (even links to ideas not already mentioned in this post) that anyone recommends?

Thanks
LE4RN1NG GNEX USR

Amanda Farrell

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Tabbyz, thanks a million. I was just getting a message saying gallery wasn't responding when I tried to open my camera. I follow your advice and I'm back in action. Thanks again

Eoodeood

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have just installed jelly beans on my s3. All the pictures are gone, and the music! Also apps and Google play store are forced to close by this dammed update. Photos can not be opened even though they are showing on the sd card! I have tried rebooting and clearing cache , still nada.... What the heck! I thought this software was meant to be the best not f**k up my new phone! Can any body help, as I know I am not the only one with this issue...many users are pretty pissed off....

Matthew Jackson2

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been receiving the "Not enough space.Delete unnecessary items, such as downloaded software, pictures, video's and documents." error msg after my Jelly Bean update on my Skyrocket. I downloaded some "gallery" type apps that allowed me to view what was in there however its pretty much essential that the stock gallery work if u havn't rooted or are running a custom rom I'd think. Can't view pictures people send u in txt or anything. Anyways, after some messing around and looking at numbers I realized that the phone itself splits its storage into 3 brackets (if u have a micro sd card like I do). If you're receiving this msg its because the phones "usb memory" is close to being full. I was initally under the impression that "usb memory" implied my SD card but theres an additional bracket for that as well. Seems silly to be but makes sense I guess. Just dumb some of that unnessessary info on your phones "usb storage" or move it over to the SD card and you should be fine. I deleted some emulator roms straight off the phone using "my files" and as soon as they were gone (~3GB worth) I was able to access the gallery. Best of luck to u all!

Other then that issue I've so far really enjoyed the Jelly Bean update. I was a bit angry that I couldn't get into the gallery and was swaring off updating ever again (it seems theres always some sort of issue) but i take that back... The lack of space was due to my over abundence of random **** on the phones physical memory.

Mosey

Rakesh Kumar1

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I really got scared thinking i'll loose all my pics. But thanks a lot,(million times) for ur advice. I just did what you said to do. And I can view my pics directly from album.