Newbie Question - "closing" apps

doverbey

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way and/or is it necessary or advisable to CLOSE apps? Right now, I just move on to other functions - am I leaving a "trail" of open apps that impacts device functionality? Thanks for any help illuminating this little puzzle....

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
There 2 ways to close app after ICS, you can do that in application list in settings (in which you can also close services not normally visible) or in recent used apps list (recent apps button or hold home button if you don't have it) you slide off the app you want to close. If you have Samsung you also got Task Menager in which you can also close apps there.

In general you should not think about closing apps, system will handle that for you if you lazy, but if you fell that something slowing it down or eating battery a lot then it's recomanded to close the app manualy. In devloper setting you can also make it so it will close app after you leave it, it will free your memory but will increse your load times... there even huge disscusion if it is even worth it :p

I hope i undersood the quastion :p

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Generally it is advisable to close apps if you are not using them as some can really drain the battery, especially if they are constantly trying to get a GPS fix. Depending on the app, there are 2 ways of immediately closing it. In some, simply backing out of the app will close it. In others, you have to go to the settings and chose close or quit. (Pandora would be a good example of that.)

iusemyfingers

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
There is also an option in system settings under developer options under the APPS category "Kill app back button" (Kill the background app by long-pressing the back key)

dsf7

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I just looked for that within 4.2 and could not find that option in the apps section (after restoring/activating the developer option by tapping the software version number a bunch of times).

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Btw in developer options you can turn on CPU usage monitor of each process so you can check if there something on background that doing somehting heavy. Keep in mind porcess in memory does not drain power :>