Will Jellybean allow you to share pics from the web via Txt?

dballn247

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Will Jellybean allow you to share pics from the web via Txt? By this I mean share the photo directly from the web to txt without downloading, then manually attaching. The reason that I ask this is ICS disabled this feature. It worked on gingerbread but once the update to ICS rolled out it no longer works. I have tested other devices, devices that have been upgraded to ICS and devices where ICS is the native OS, and none of them can do this. Thinking it may be a browser compatibility issue, I downloaded several other browsers. None of which can do this. The same options to view image, save image and share link are there. Boat Browser did allow sharing, however did so by downloading the photos into a storage file stored on the sim.

I would appreciate input from those are currently using Jellybean. I fear that this feature has been killed by google after the apple lawsuits. I can't find any discussion on this other than those with the same complaints. None of which have been answered.

dballn247

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Anyone? I know this is a small feature but very much a part of the reason I selected my current phone. The update basically broke the main feature I bought the phone for.

Was the feature removed as a part of the apple lawsuits? Is it not spoken of due to a gag order. It seems like I cant find an answer. Kinda like trying to google galaxy SIII from an Iphone.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Anyone? I know this is a small feature but very much a part of the reason I selected my current phone. The update basically broke the main feature I bought the phone for.

Was the feature removed as a part of the apple lawsuits? Is it not spoken of due to a gag order. It seems like I cant find an answer. Kinda like trying to google galaxy SIII from an Iphone.

Can you even do that? Google the s3 from an iPhone?

Motorola Photon 4G

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Why wouldn't you just long press the picture on the web, select view image, then share that URL?
Why send an image when the URL would do fine? If its something you absolutely have to send the image and
not a link just download and send that and delete.

Its way too easy to run afoul of copyright issues by building in a direct share thingie. Not to mention patents.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Why wouldn't you just long press the picture on the web, select view image, then share that URL?
Why send an image when the URL would do fine? If its something you absolutely have to send the image and
not a link just download and send that and delete.

Its way too easy to run afoul of copyright issues by building in a direct share thingie. Not to mention patents.

Saving the image is better for me because if I want to send a picture to my girlfriend, who has a dumbphone, I want her to be able to view it right away instead of having for her to wait until she can get on a computer to view it.

Motorola Photon 4G

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone with a pre-ICS device post a video of this? I never used this feature on any of my phones.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I cant post a video, but I can tell you how to do it. Long press the picture you want. Select "Share image link." Select what program/service you want to share it on/with.

Motorola Photon 4G

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I cant post a video, but I can tell you how to do it. Long press the picture you want. Select "Share image link." Select what program/service you want to share it on/with.

Motorola Photon 4G

Attaching a photo from the browser to a text message (in one step).

Not attaching a link from the browser to a text message.

I can send pictures as links just fine from the browser. The OP wants the photos attached as an MMS, not an SMS with a URL.

dballn247

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Saving the image is better for me because if I want to send a picture to my girlfriend, who has a dumbphone, I want her to be able to view it right away instead of having for her to wait until she can get on a computer to view it.

Motorola Photon 4G
Exactly, but I don't like saving them. I liked how you could directly share from the web on gingerbread. (iphone can still do this
I'm really let down that they removed the feature. Could they not have just added the upgrades but keep the existing features? I guess they don't realize that some of their customers are just consumers not developers. Some of the upgrades added won't even be used by the average user.

dballn247

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I can send pictures as links just fine from the browser. The OP wants the photos attached as an MMS, not an SMS with a URL.

Bingo!!! Apparently impossible on versions above 2.3.x
I assume it has something to due with iPhone's "experience" patent. Perhaps google was afraid of the litigation aspect? Maybe they received a cease and desist?