rooted Jelly Bean vs jailbroken iOS?

caspersoong

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the benefits of rooted android (specifically JB) compared to jailbroken iOS. I have used both Android and iOS and I can say that Jelly Bean is a blast. I think it handily beats stock iOS. Bring jailbroken iOS into the picture, and it all becomes muddy. I can customise so much with cydia, and it is super easy and can be done to most devices. Very little fragmentation. Jailbroken iOS can change icons, tweak the launcher a great deal, multiple skins and themes, get different lock screens. It can add functions, tweak information on the status bar. Add toggles in notification center, and so on. Use multiple keyboards. So I was wondering, what is there on Android that still beats jailbroken iOS? I can think of widgets running smoothly (they stutter a lot and crash on jailbroken iOS). Offline voice typing. Ability to have other SMS apps (though I prefer the stock JB one), as well as email and browser (same). Getting other hardware to go with Android like notification lights and screen sizes we want. Expandable memory, removable battery (but this is rapidly decreasing). But is there anything else? Thanks in advance for all the replies!

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Well with android you can mess more with hardware and install your on system (which you can acttuly do on iOS devices but in old once that have bootloader hacked)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Probably the biggest thing is what you get with a jail broken iPhone you get stock with Android without having to root. Rooting an Android opens the door for even more customising and options that iPhone can't even begin to touch even after jail breaking. Things like custom ROMs and kernels, full or individual app and data back up options. Free wireless tethering.

There is much more but those are some key points.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

caspersoong

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Probably the biggest thing is what you get with a jail broken iPhone you get stock with Android without having to root. Rooting an Android opens the door for even more customising and options that iPhone can't even begin to touch even after jail breaking. Things like custom ROMs and kernels, full or individual app and data back up options. Free wireless tethering.

There is much more but those are some key points.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

True, but AppBackup can back up individual apps.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think the moral of the story here is, both platforms offer very similar options when rooted/jail broken but when it comes to "stock" Android offers more of what iPhone has to be jail broken to achieve.

From there it all comes down to what your taste is... Are you an Android user or iPhone user? Maybe your both so the end result is up to you which you choose to get what you want out of your device.