Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By still1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4.2 multiple user feature

Now I just updated my nexus 7 to 4.2 and love the new multiple user feature.. But just had a couple questions... Is it possible to make certain apps account wide? So I don't have to download them twice..

And another question,will having two accounts kill the battery faster? Since technically there is other processes and services running on more then one account?
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: 4.2 multiple user feature

OK folks, I think we are going to need a little help on this one. Scenario: My little girl and I share a rooted nexus 7 updated to 4.2. We are using the multiple user features. Her account is the admin and I have a standard user account. I want to buy an app and download it to her profile. PROBLEM: When I buy an app and try to download it to her profile it doesn't. It only downloads to my profile.
    Is there any way to get it to her profile?

Get her a gmail account?
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Thanks Patruns for the reply.
    She does have her own account, but I did not want to put my credit card on her account. Give you three guesses why I don't want to do that. LOL

if you are using the same gmail account. go to her user. open playstore. search for the app and download. it should let you do it.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

I have the same set up. I put my gamil account on my daughters profile. Just diasble the gmail app and put a pin on play store purchases and change the settings to only show G-rated apps. That way you she can browse for apps and if she wants one, you will have to install it for her.

I really only have 2 gripes when it comes to profiles in 4.2. First, is the lag when switching accounts on the lockscreen. Second, is the profile picture buttons on the lockscreen are too small and too close together. I use a Nexus 7 so maybe its better on the Nexus 10 but its very easy to press the wrong profile and couple that with the lag and it can become frustrating.

I'm a bit confused about user accounts. I think I know how to set them up but am unsure about what's shared and what is not.

I'd like to set up a user account for one other person to use my N7, but don't want them to be able to access my private accounts such as Gmail and Google Drive. Is this possible? I've read that to switch to a new user youre required to enter the lock screen, select the user icon and then unlock the tablet. Will each user have their own lock screen # to unlock the tablet, or must I give them mine?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tabletnovice View Post
    I'm a bit confused about user accounts. I think I know how to set them up but am unsure about what's shared and what is not.

I'd like to set up a user account for one other person to use my N7, but don't want them to be able to access my private accounts such as Gmail and Google Drive. Is this possible? I've read that to switch to a new user youre required to enter the lock screen, select the user icon and then unlock the tablet. Will each user have their own lock screen # to unlock the tablet, or must I give them mine?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
    I thought of typing all your answers but i remember an article which explains multiuser support better. so i googled and found it for you.

Read this. you will get a better idea. Android 4.2 multiuser support: Hands-on impressions and gallery | Computerworld Blogs
    Thanked by:
    tabletnovice likes this.