1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default iOS 6 to android 4.2

I received my Nexus 4 today. It is my first android device, and to be quite honest, this phone is sweet. Quick and smooth is an understatement. I know everything in iOS 6 may not have an android equivalent, but I figured it was worth a shot to ask.

First, is there any place in the setting where I can go to shut down apps I am no longer using? In iOS, it was a double click of home button and you could kill apps running in the background.

Also, I shut down iMessage to my old phone as well as my iPad, because they were intercepting text messages. However, a friend sent me a picture in a group message in which I did not receive, yet my wife received in, and I received her response.

Any help would be appreciated.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default Re: iOS 6 to android 4.2

As for shutting down apps there is a thread here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...sing-apps.html

I am new to Android too so I don't know the answer to your other question. Sorry

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

In settings you can manage your apps and close them from there. iMessage is another problem I read from switchers. You can remove your number from iMessages but any old conversations started in iMessage will continue to go to it and not SMS. Your wife knows you have a new phone and it probably is going straight to your phone number. From what I've read, it's confusing but new conversations should go to your new phone.

I'm in the same boat and waiting to get my Nexus 4 because iOS6 on an old iPhone4 is a joke.

if you click on the recent open app button(2 square stack) you will see the apps. swipe left or right to close it.

Global Posts
    4,299 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by legec117 View Post
    I received my Nexus 4 today. It is my first android device, and to be quite honest, this phone is sweet. Quick and smooth is an understatement. I know everything in iOS 6 may not have an android equivalent, but I figured it was worth a shot to ask.

First, is there any place in the setting where I can go to shut down apps I am no longer using? In iOS, it was a double click of home button and you could kill apps running in the background.

Also, I shut down iMessage to my old phone as well as my iPad, because they were intercepting text messages. However, a friend sent me a picture in a group message in which I did not receive, yet my wife received in, and I received her response.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Android support for Group MMS is volatile at best, borderline inoperable at worse. If you need group MMS functionality you're better served by an iPhone or a Windows Phone - both of those platforms have gone above and beyond what's needed to make sure group texting works correctly, and it's flawless there.

Android has too many device types running dispirate modifications of the OS. Some phones support it correctly, others don't. If you want to make sure your group texts work on Android and you're communicating with people using dispirate device types and OSes, you really need to use an IM protocol that supports it otherwise you never know when it will break or if it will ever (or consistently) work correctly.

Android has two pre-loaded: Google Talk and Google+ Messenger. Google+ Messenger is superior because it supports Photo Attachments and SMS-Out (and has S/D/R tags, though they're not obvious when you first start using it), which Google Talk doesn't support. Whether it's worth starting up another Social Account profile is another matter.

Good Luck.

P.S. Keep in mind the group MMS issues are independent of the iMessage issues, which are easily remedied.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Android support for Group MMS is volatile at best, borderline inoperable at worse. If you need group MMS functionality you're better served by an iPhone or a Windows Phone - both of those platforms have gone above and beyond what's needed to make sure group texting works correctly, and it's flawless there.
    One caveat to this is WP8 on Verizon, which is not supported.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    I had a big issue with this. Most of my friends have iPhones and whenever someone would send a group text, I'd get all the replies as individual messages. Made it pretty much impossible to follow any prolonged conversation.

GoSMS was the answer. It isn't perfect as every now and then a message will "escape" but it works fine about 95% of the time.

Keep in mind that this is on my Evo 4G running a GB ROM. No experience with 4+ ROMs until I finally decide to upgrade (been eligible for about a year).

Thankfully, most people have migrated to using Whatsapp which solves this issue nicely. However, I agree that it would be awesome if Android had a native solution for this without needing to rely on a third party.