Why the hell doesn't android have...

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I know android isn't ever going to do all the gimmicks that the OEM skins do. But there are a few things I'm amazed that android doesn't have yet.

App-Drawer Folders: This one is honestly one of the more annoying one's to me. I have a ton of widgets that have their own app icon, don't need to see it every time I'm scrolling through my app drawer. That is to say nothing of the organizational possibilities.

Burst Shot in camera: why not? like really? actually very useful especially when photographing active scenes and such.

anything else? and why don't we have these and can we lobby Google? lol

Jennings Richmond

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I know android isn't ever going to do all the gimmicks that the OEM skins do. But there are a few things I'm amazed that android doesn't have yet.

App-Drawer Folders: This one is honestly one of the more annoying one's to me. I have a ton of widgets that have their own app icon, don't need to see it every time I'm scrolling through my app drawer. That is to say nothing of the organizational possibilities.

Burst Shot in camera: why not? like really? actually very useful especially when photographing active scenes and such.

anything else? and why don't we have these and can we lobby Google? lol

My note 2 has several modes that do "burst shots" actually.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Jennings Richmond

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I thing he is talking about stock android. Like what u get with the nexus line

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

My confusion I suppose, but just saying "android" is like just saying "pizza.

Edit: I know OP mentioned OEM skins, but the camera stuff is just as much hardware as it is the software. Nexus devices aren't meant to be high-end.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
On my Nexus 10 I can group apps on the home screen by placing them in the same location. So I wind up with a social media group that contains the Facebook app, twitter app, google+ app etc. Another group contains various browsers.

Obviously this wouldn't help with widgets but the whole idea of widgets are you set them on one of the home screens and let them do their job. You shouldn't need to constantly be accessing them.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
@OP, the AOSP experience is slowly catching up to the bells and whistles OEMs provide in their devices. My opinion is that the Android team is more focused on bringing the pure Android experience and working on the system OS rather than prioritizing their apps. Remember, the camera app is developed by Google, so features will need to be enabled in itself in order to get the burst photos, panoramic views, etc. There are plenty of third-party options in the Play Store no need worry about AOSP not providing it.

As already mentioned, you'll want to install a third-party launcher such as Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher -- both work great. If you want all the bells and whistles (and then some) but don't care about quick OS upgrades, then an OEM device is for you.

promanex

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The whole idea with android is that if something isn't there, you can jump into the play store and install an app to provide the feature. If you want more control over your app drawer, install nova, want more camera options? there are tons of camera apps in the store.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
App Drawer Folders (and separate tabs for that matter)....get Nova Launcher.
Burst Mode....change the mode on your camera.....it's there.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Manual AT&T SGH-i747, User Guide, pdf, download, updates, phone, specifications

Page 88 of the i747 manual....I don't know which one you have...you might have to dig around for it.

anyway, it's the picture frame icon below the Flash and above the Focus Mode. Single Shot, Burst Mode, HDR....that's where it is.

Sorry, i keep forgetting to update my profile on here. I am now the proud owner of a Nexus 4. Hence the reason for this post. And to anyone confused, my bad, I meant stock android.

See, the points that stock is always going to be missing features and not be quite up to par with major OEM devices (a la SGS3) is well taken. But that line is getting muddled. There are arguably no better internals out there than what appears in the Nexus 4, sans camera of course. And, in that vein, wasn't it the camera on the Gnex that first introduced/popularized the 0-shudder lag "feature".

Additionally, the recent sales debacle that was the Nexus 4 launch shows that the Nexus line has evolved past glorified dev-phones. People want these, many people...too many people apparently. Besides, it's clear that with the little tweaks between 4.1 and 4.2 for example, that Google is trying to work out the best user experience possible. Which is why I wish I/we could make some reasonable (I think) suggestions, like the ones I started this thread with.

Jennings Richmond

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, i keep forgetting to update my profile on here. I am now the proud owner of a Nexus 4. Hence the reason for this post. And to anyone confused, my bad, I meant stock android.

See, the points that stock is always going to be missing features and not be quite up to par with major OEM devices (a la SGS3) is well taken. But that line is getting muddled. There are arguably no better internals out there than what appears in the Nexus 4, sans camera of course. And, in that vein, wasn't it the camera on the Gnex that first introduced/popularized the 0-shudder lag "feature".

Additionally, the recent sales debacle that was the Nexus 4 launch shows that the Nexus line has evolved past glorified dev-phones. People want these, many people...too many people apparently. Besides, it's clear that with the little tweaks between 4.1 and 4.2 for example, that Google is trying to work out the best user experience possible. Which is why I wish I/we could make some reasonable (I think) suggestions, like the ones I started this thread with.

I would have to disagree. IMO, Android is to phones and tablets what Linux was to the home computer. The originator puts out this core product that is able to then be endlessly modified on the user end.

It isn't Google's job to give us all the bells and whistles. That is what OEM and aftermarket ROMs (like distros of Linux to continue the analogy) are there for. You purchase the hardware of your choice and then put whichever version of the OS you prefer on it. If there are no readily available versions you care for then you can mod, or for the truly hardcore, code your own.

To expect Google to put out the highest-end version of Android is essentially asking them to become Apple or Microsoft. You can't have it both ways. No company is going to shell out the dollars to develop software like that and then leave it open to modification like most of us enjoy.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
My confusion I suppose, but just saying "android" is like just saying "pizza.

Edit: I know OP mentioned OEM skins, but the camera stuff is just as much hardware as it is the software. Nexus devices aren't meant to be high-end.

There are mid range HTC devices that blow away the best Nexus in terms of camera performance, and functionality. It has nothing to do with not being high end. It has to do with priorities. Photo Spheres and harvesting data for maps/earth is more important to Google than giving you useful Burst Shot functionality, which BTW is insanely useful to Sports Coaches especially when you can do it while shooting video.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

App drawer should be for all. If you want to customize, put what you want on the home screen. That sounds reasonable to me.

Not all hardware the runs Android is the same.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
To expect Google to put out the highest-end version of Android is essentially asking them to become Apple or Microsoft. You can't have it both ways. No company is going to shell out the dollars to develop software like that and then leave it open to modification like most of us enjoy.

Well put.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
@OP, the AOSP experience is slowly catching up to the bells and whistles OEMs provide in their devices. My opinion is that the Android team is more focused on bringing the pure Android experience and working on the system OS rather than prioritizing their apps. Remember, the camera app is developed by Google, so features will need to be enabled in itself in order to get the burst photos, panoramic views, etc. There are plenty of third-party options in the Play Store no need worry about AOSP not providing it.

As already mentioned, you'll want to install a third-party launcher such as Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher -- both work great. If you want all the bells and whistles (and then some) but don't care about quick OS upgrades, then an OEM device is for you.

It's not really catching up to the OEM'd versions. It's not even close.

Updates aren't an issue if you stick to Samsung or Motorola. Avoid HTC and LG, and you should be generally fine.

They won't come overnight like the latest Nexus, but they'll eventually get there.

There is a lot of underappreciated value that the OEMs put into their software, that you don't thank them for until you use a Stock Device and realize it is borderline useless to you without 10 hours of Play Store Hunting because it has half the functionality of the OEM device.

And yes that includes things like Camera Functions, DLNA, IM Clients, in-built service Integration, utilities like Kies Air, and even Browser functions (like Save for offline, which otherwise requires a 3rd party app like Pocket).

I mean, Google still doesn't even have a decent stock Tasks or Memo/Notes app in Android. They need to at least cover the basics before they even began to think they're catching up to Samsung or HTC on the Software side. Even LG is miles ahead of them as far as that goes.

People tend to focus on the gimmicks like pop-up play, beats audio, and photo sphere, but the other stuff that many just "expect to be there" are just as important. And a lot of that stuff is simply missing in a stock android build.

That's also why I could never put a Stock ROM like CM on my OEM phone. It would render the phone almost unusable to me, even if it still turns on and functions "like a smartphone."

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

At the Galaxy Nexus question. No.

The iPhone 4S came with 0 shutter lag and was released a month ahead of the Galaxy Nexus. I think some HTC phones basically had it but their camera software always did a focus when you pressed the shutter on their phones (Vivid, Rezound, etc.) otherwise it would have been pretty much instant, anyways...

Google had to play up the 0 shutter lag because unlike the 4S, the optics on the Nexus were a bit embarrassing considering the price they were initially charging for the phone. It was a nice way of deflecting attention away from it's issues, though. I give them that.

h0ruza#AC

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Stock and the Nexus line:

It is all too easy to be confused about the nexus line and stock so my advice would be to look at the hardware and software then compare them to the next best options and then decide whether nexus is flagship, more than capable or more than a development phone.

Burst shot is a speed issue and i'm literally figuring that out for myself. So with the speed of the camera in the GNex (albeit the quality was to everyone's taste) was more than capable of having a burst shot mode. I'm going out on a limb here but I think the same can be said for the N4.

Stock has only just been graced with a timer, stopwatch and world time which if you look at it plainly brings stock a few steps closer to matching the standard feature set of nokia 3210. I'm making light box the little things but in truth Google sees the nexus line and stock as a guide to the Android platform and has no intention of making it match what everyone else does. That's why we have photo sphere instead of burst shot and there's no currency converter as standard. They may add burst shot at some point but unless it's burst shot in the Google glass project its not really keynote worthy news.

Google is like a rich kid with the imagination of Pixar and nexus is kind of its hobby with benefits. It's in no rush to piss off its partners who sell millions of phones and tablets so Google doesn't make millions of phone and tablets itself (hasn't some dude at xda calculated that there are less than 500,000 units in existence... Worldwide?).

Yes Google want affordable information technology in everyone's hand but it doesn't plan to supply them themselves.

The idea that the nexus 10 isn't flagship is simply bizarre. In fact the current nexus line are all phenomenally good. Don't even listen to my nonsense try them in your hands for yourself and then decide whether they are 'flagship' or 'high end'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol