Complete non-techie: How can I get Jellybean update?

petuniap

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a GSM Galaxy Nexus....I used to work at Google and got it straight from the source. However, I still haven't gotten an OTA update. I suspect it has something to do with my primary email address having been a Google one...which stopped working the day after I left the company. Now I have no idea how to force an update (not to mention change my primary address to my personal gmail). I've been doing a lot of research online but all of the techie phone jargon like rooting and bootloader goes straight over my head. There are few articles that start out explaining things simply, but they invariably link you to other articles that skip right into a lot of technical explains that stop making sense.

Can anyone help me figure out how to solve my issues without getting too technical?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
account has nothing to do with updates. clear data cache for google framework and check for updates.

settings-->about phone-->system updates.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
account has nothing to do with updates. clear data cache for google framework and check for updates.

Are you sure about that? Everything Android is tied to your gmail account. You can't even start the phone the first time without entering it.

@petuniap: Try this to remove the old account. Go to settings/accounts/Google/petuniap@gmail.com. Then tap the 3 dots in the upper right (or whatever you currently have to get to settings and you should have the option to remove the account. Even if that doesn't help your update issue, at least you can now enter you current gmail account.

petuniap

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Tried that many, many times...didn't work. Apparently it doesn't work on every phone.
Are you sure about that? Everything Android is tied to your gmail account. You can't even start the phone the first time without entering it.

@petuniap: Try this to remove the old account. Go to settings/accounts/Google/petuniap@gmail.com. Then tap the 3 dots in the upper right (or whatever you currently have to get to settings and you should have the option to remove the account. Even if that doesn't help your update issue, at least you can now enter you current gmail account.
The system warns me that if I remove this account, that all messages, contacts and other data will be removed as well. I don't want to lose all of my contacts because I no longer have access to the email address they are tied to so I wouldn't be able to just import them back into the phone after deleting the account.

Anyone else have ideas or experience with this?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well you can take your contacts and export them to file thru your contacts settings. The will at least save your contacts. You can then import that file of contacts in via Gmail on a new account.

Texts can be saved also using sms backup & restore from the play store.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

yes, I am very much sure. I have updated my Nexus 4 to 4.2 and then 4.2.1 without even entering my gmail id. just out of box updated it.
account has nothing to do with updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03