How to do a full backup of my android device like Apple without any 3rd party software or anything?

Joseph Sim

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Now before updating my android firmware i really want to know how to backup all my things especially my installed apps and app datas
I dont want to root it or what...
Apple's backup was so easy, just clicks using itunes and i could restore all my apps and app datas
Is there any ways like apple?
Besides, just asking if the firmware update deletes all my apps and datas?
help??????

im using samsung galaxy note 2

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Now before updating my android firmware i really want to know how to backup all my things especially my installed apps and app datas
Apple's backup was so easy, just clicks using itunes and i could restore all my apps and app datas
help??????

It didn't erase anything on my Nexus 7 running stock, unrooted Android but I don't know if your device will act differently.

Good luck,

Tom.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
your firmware update wont delete apps and data.

your apps are already back'd up to Google with your gmailid.

app data cannot be backed up without root and third party.

Last edited:

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
help??????

unfortunately there is no google/android backup software of any kind (like itunes).

i know exactly how u feel and what u mean. i hope this helps:

after doing long research, i was able to finally find something to help me backup/restore my phone with complete ease. it does require downloading a 3rd party software on your computer. the best part is you dont need to root the phone or anything so its totally safe if ur looking to just backup ur phone. the software is called "nexus root toolkit" i dont remember their website where you can download it from but an easy google search will do the trick. once installed, run the software (dont hookup ur phone yet, itll tell u when) and one of the 1st things itll ask is to identify your phone so you will have a drop down to choose from. once thats done it is highly suggested to do the "initial setup" that way the proper phone drivers will be installed to your computer. when you run the "initial setup" itll give you easy step by step instructions on what to do. follow those til u get the drivers installed. once completed, click on "backup" and from there you will see the "backup all apps" option, check off the 2 boxes if u want (the 2 options are self explanatory) and from there click "create android backup file" and youre done. depending how much you have stored on your phone will determine the time it takes to save the backup file. my backup file is 7gb and it took about 30-45min

keep in mind when you do the "initial setup" you will see ur phone change screens and itll have the software running on ur phone, dont freak out. its totally normal and ur phone is completely safe. if you are computer savvy and know whats up, then this will be a lot easier. if youre not computer savvy then be extra cautious and follow the instructions.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to do device like Apple without any 3rd party software or anything?

Doesn't the Note 2 use Kies to back up? It is a program but so is iTunes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
On their website it list the phones and it doesn't list mine :(

there must be other similar software that will do so, im just not sure of their names. have you tried going to your phones thread directly on these forums? there might be some answers there

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
there must be other similar software that will do so, im just not sure of their names. have you tried going to your phones thread directly on these forums? there might be some answers there

The photon forum is dead. Especially the photon q subforum. Its just not a popular phone with the devs for some reason. It was the same with my old photon 4g. I'll probably look this weekend online to see if I can find something though.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

No one does but it serves a purpose if you are not rooted.

did you read the original post? let me quote it again " i really want to know how to backup all my things especially my installed apps and app datas"
and you suggested Kies.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
did you read the original post? let me quote it again " i really want to know how to backup all my things especially my installed apps and app datas"
and you suggested Kies.

Yes, and if you read it even closer you'd see that the OP was saying everything. Especially does not mean only. Kies might not work with App data etc. but it can at least backup some things.

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: How droid device like Apple without any 3rd party software or anything?

and you suggested Kies.
Sorry I think I was replying to someone else's post that said they didn't like Kies.

But anyway I thought Kies did a full backup of data. Maybe not but it was just a suggestion.

ramachandra patnaik

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cant i backup all the files by just copying it to my pc and after a restore pasting it back ! Ju

Cant i backup all the files by just copying it to my pc and after a restore pasting it back ! Just without rooting or any kinda backup app .?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to do a full backup

Cant i backup all the files by just copying it to my pc and after a restore pasting it back ! Just without rooting or any kinda backup app .?
Some apps would work but others may not. Check out Carbon backup. No root needed.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

and you suggested Kies.

To repeat: your apps themselves are automatically backed up. You don't need to do anything. If you have to factory reset your phone, all your app purchases (and free apps) are recorded in the Google Play store. Depending on the device, they may reinstall automatically, or you may have to do them one at a time, but you won't lose them. This was already posted, but you seem determined to ignore it.

As for app data, it depends: If you sync your calendar and contacts with Google they'll all come back automatically if you need to restore. If you use Gmail, or any other mail service that stores email on their servers, you'll get that back, too. What you won't get is application preferences and settings.

Not sure why you're so worried about using 3rd party apps. That's what an open platform like Android is all about. (Heck, even Apple has its App Store.) Without rooting, there are limits to what you can back up, but check out My Backup Pro and Carbon Backup. If you really refuse to take advantage of the benefits of 3rd party apps, you're out of luck. Think about going back to an iPhone.

daryah

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
you have to experience the backup capability on apple ios to realise how amazing it is and how Android pales in comparison. Essentially, the equivalent backup in Android would not bother with the apk files since these can be downloaded from the store. It would backup the application data and also hopefully your application consents . It would also backup your launcher configurations and other settings that are specific to your phone, so that when you restore you are back up running in a jiffy. This would of course reduce the size of the backup considerably and so the whole process when it would run be light and quick and not drain on storage or cpu resources, and so easily work against the cloud as well. Anyway, this is me dreaming in case someone at Google/Samsung is canvassing for wishlists on some real practical features.

Android does tend to remind me that is is based on linux quite a bit..

At this point I am still contemplating what I want to do. Temptation being to root the device so I can use the sdk utility "adb" to take a full image of the rom once I have it "just right". I would prefer not to root it as long as there is a warranty on this device. And I know some of you saying but you can always flash a stock room using ODIN, but seriously guys if your device is knackered, is this really and for sure going to work before you can send into whoever?!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What's the difference between iTunes and any other app used to backup data, like Carbon? Or for that matter, any PC client side backup app? If you already have to attach it to another device, then why does it matter what the app is called if it accomplishes 100% of the task with equal effort?

I just did an insurance replacement on my Nexus and the whole restore process, including unboxing, bootloader unlock, root and restore to exactly what the previous device was took less than 1 hour. All apps, passwords, screen setups, settings... this is all easily stored as it's own flashable .zip from the previous device and flashing it to the new one was ridiculously simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca