Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Question Using the external SD card with Jelly Bean

I have found no way to move my app storage to the external SD card for images and so on, It used to be in the settings, application manager but there is nothing there now. There has to be a way to use the card otherwise why have it? I have a huge data card in my new tablet just sitting not being used for much at all. My tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and I just installed the latest update to Jelly Bean tonight.

Default Re: Using the external SD card with Jelly Bean

I have the same question. Have you come up with a solution yet? Galaxy Tab 2 7. Bought a big sd card too and would like to use it!

If I understand your question correctly and you're asking how to move your apps to your sd card, it is not possible on some of the never devices. Not sure if it's the actual device or Jellybean but it is not supported without root. Only pictures, videos and documents and some files can be moved. You'll have to root to accomplish apps to sd card. Someone else will probably poke their head in here soon and maybe tell you how to get it done with root access.

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I would just like my apps to use the SD card to store photos and videos. I have a lot of them and would rather have the SD card used to store them. I can not figure out how to do even that. Thanks for the response, though.

You will need to root the tablet Androidfriends.
    Android!!!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I do not have any idea of how to root this device. I am far to new to Android. Does rooting void any warranty? I have been told it does.

Do you mean for instance - you have an app that stores pictures/etc? You aren't trying to move the app, just where it saves those items? - If so, if the app supports it, most have an option in settings and where to save files to. sd card or external sd. That depends on the app though.

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Quote Originally Posted by JaneSpau View Post
    Does rooting void any warranty? I have been told it does.
    It does, but many rooting methods have a way to reverse it in case you need to use the warranty. You'd have to research it for your particular device.
    HTC Inspire 4G - retired
    HTC One X+ (HOX+)

I might be misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you want your pics on the ext. sd card that you purchased...I have all my photos on my ext. card. I have a lot of photos, so I have a lot of files so I can find them easier. I just set up the folders under the ext. sd card, ten upload to specific files. Some of the photo apps let me choose where to save the pic. I also have quite a bit of music on the ext card as well...nt

Turn on the camera.
    Settings
    Bottom of menu - Storage
    Memory card
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Thanks, everyone!

Go to the app myfile. Under settings you can determine wether to store on sd card (0), which is your system memory, or on external sd card.
    I have on my 64 GB meanwhile 20 GB music and 5 GB pictures with videos to follow. You cant shift apps, but given that apps relative smal,small , your system memory is relatively few charged. Enjoy!

the only way that i know how to do it is to have root acces and then to download an app from a third party called "directory bind" this allows you to redirect the directory paths inside of your sd card to a similiar folder on your external sd card. I used it for a awhile and then i put paranoid jelly bean on my galaxy player 5.0 and now when i try to install it it gives me a parse error.

I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    Turn on the camera.
    Settings
    Bottom of menu - Storage
    Memory card
    OK when I do this, the gallery app only looks at the internal storage. Also how do I move the pics on internal storage to the SD card.

Try to force a refresh in the Gallery app (since there isn't a "Refresh" function) by changing the "View by" (press Option button first) from "All content" to "Content in device".

Cool Re: Using the external SD card with Jelly Bean

It is possible to use the external SD card without root. There is more information at this website:
    How to Partition SD Card and Use Link2SD in any Android Phone with Screenshots
    First you may have to download SD FORMATTER for the computer to format the SD CARD.
    If you do not want to use C-Net then the MiniTool program wizard is available at soft32.com.
    That dysfunctional error has just been Trane Raecked.

Angry Re: Using the external SD card with Jelly Bean

I have found something else it is xbmc it is a paid app not much 1 or 2 dollars. It is a good bet haven't fully tried had a problem with one of my micro sd cards off the last post. So do not do that. Now you have been guarded and forewarned.