Update to 4.2.2 on Galaxy Nexus keeps failing

MrFlipnote

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've been trying to update to 4.2.2 all day, but every time I try, Clockworkmod (most current one) gives me several errors error:

1. the first being: "E: Invaling Command Argument"
  2. Then: "E: Failed to verify whole-life signature
  3. and: "E: signature verification failed"
  4. After which I have to accept to install this "untrusted zip" -- I select 'yes', obviously.
  5. After that, this last error occurs and the installation gets aborted: "assert failed: apply_patch_check( "/system/app/SystemUI.apk" blablabla...*load of text* blablabla... "(Status 7)"

I honestly don't know what's going wrong, or whether this is just some stupid question...I already thought it might be a problem of Clockwordmod or the fact that I'm rooted, but I'm not sure, and I don't want to waste my time unrooting, updating and rerooting again if it turns out to not make a difference.

If I have to uninstall Clockwordmod, could you please tell me how? Or should I just keep on trying?
Manually updating isn't really an option for me...I tried it... once...and, well, I ended up stressing all day because I was afraid I completely ruined my phone xD

Thanks in advance :)
And sorry for any grammatical or spelling errors!

(not completely sure whether this is important information, but well:
I'm running stock Android 4.2.1 yakju on my GSM Samsung Galaxy Nexus; rooted and unlocked; installed Clockworkmod 6.0.2.3 through ROM Manager; flashed yakju over my original yakjuxw; and updated through that forced-update-trick where you clear all data of Google Services Framework; and have been messing around with apps like Ful! Screen and LMT lately (uninstalled both))

abdiel fierros

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I tried to.

And I had the same problem...
I installed the recovery stock of my 4.2.1 rom, and the throw the message "Error", :( someone know what happend with this update???

kris j

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I got excited with the update my nexus 7 pulled today, but I got an 'error' message (with a broken droid on it's back) at the very start of installation. After restart it went back to 4.2.1 and no sign of an update to download.
Running stock 4.2.1 on rooted 16g N7

MatthiasSchuetze

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the exact same error on both my nexus devices, being the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7. I guess so far no one seems to have an idea how to fix it... :'(

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 4 also gave the "Error" message when trying to install the update. It has an unlocked bootloader and was rooted, but otherwise completely stock. I had to do a factory reset for the update to install successfully.

My wife has a Galaxy Nexus, and hers also has an unlocked bootloader and is rooted. The update installed just fine, and the phone didn't even lose root.

leo9

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting what appears to be exactly the same error as MrFlipnote.

First, some details of my system:

Hardware: Nexus 7 wi-fi only
Current Android version: 4.2.1
Current kernel version: 3.1.10-g22b4fcd android-build@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com #1 Fri Nov 2 10:55:26 PDT 2012
Current build number: JOP40D
Locale: UK

Bootloader unlocked.
Rooted prior to this update.
ClockworkMod Recovery v.6.0.2.3.
SuperSU installed.

I first attempted to install the update after receiving the official notification that the update had been downloaded and was ready for installation: I clicked on the notification message, followed the prompts, and received the same error messages whose details I will give below.

Since then I have downloaded the update separately from -

http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip

- then attempted to invoke an update as follows:

On the (Ubuntu) PC, in a terminal:

1. [cd to the location of the downloaded zip.]
2. adb push 6ece895ecb23.signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip /sdcard/
3. adb reboot recovery

That reboots the Nexus 7 to CWM Recovery mode. Then, on the Nexus 7:

1. Select menu option: Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard.
2. Select folder "0", then scroll down to the pushed zip file and click it.
3. Click "Yes - Install 6ece[...].zip

Whereupon I get the errors listed below.

Things I've tried (followed by a repeat of the process above):

* In CWM, selecting option: Wipe cache parition.
* In CWM, selecting option: Advanced > Wipe dalvik cache.
* In CWM, selecting option: Fix permissions.
* In CWM, selecting option: Install zip from sdcard > Toggle signature verification.

None of those worked.

The error messages as reported on-screen on the tablet are as follows, when I attempt the update with signature verification switched off (with verification turned on, I also get the "signature verification failed" error reported by MrFlipnote):

-- Installing: /sdcard/0/6ece895ecb23.signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "48f7593c2ff2fa85a147639fd7b77c3bc0607249", "7227890adedc4c5daca6cfe3ea1b6aca319fe6fd")
E:Error in /sdcard/0/6ece895ecb23.signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Here is my full CWM log (obtained by selecting CWM menu option: Advanced > Report error, then finding the log on my tablet, in /data/media/clockworkmod/recovery.log), which contains some more detail:

Starting recovery on Sun Feb 17 06:48:19 2013
can't open /dev/tty0: No such file or directory
framebuffer: fd 3 (800 x 1280)
ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.2.3
recovery filesystem table
=========================
0 /tmp ramdisk (null) (null) 0
1 /sdcard datamedia /dev/null (null) 0
2 /system ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP (null) 0
3 /cache ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/CAC (null) 0
4 /data ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/UDA (null) -32768
5 /misc emmc /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/MSC (null) 0
6 /boot emmc /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX (null) 0
7 /recovery emmc /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS (null) 0
8 /staging emmc /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/USP (null) 0

W:Unable to get recovery.fstab info for /datadata during fstab generation!
W:Unable to get recovery.fstab info for /emmc during fstab generation!
W:Unable to get recovery.fstab info for /sd-ext during fstab generation!
I:Completed outputting fstab.
I:processing arguments.
I:Checking arguments.
I:device_recovery_start()
Command: "/sbin/recovery"

ro.boot.serialno=[I've deleted this from the log: a 16-character alphanumeric string]
ro.boot.bootloader=4.13
ro.serialno=[I've deleted this from the log: a 16-character alphanumeric string]
ro.bootmode=unknown
ro.baseband=unknown
ro.bootloader=4.13
ro.hardware=grouper
ro.revision=0
ro.emmc=0
ro.boot.emmc=0
ro.factorytest=0
ro.secure=1
ro.allow.mock.location=0
ro.debuggable=1
persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb
ro.build.id=JZO54K
ro.build.display.id=cm_grouper-userdebug 4.1.2 JZO54K eng.hudson.20121217.121437 test-keys
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.hudson.20121217.121437
ro.build.version.sdk=16
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.1.2
ro.build.date=Mon Dec 17 12:15:08 PST 2012
ro.build.date.utc=0
ro.build.type=userdebug
ro.build.user=hudson
ro.build.host=koushik-lion
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=Nexus 7
ro.product.brand=Google
ro.product.name=nakasi
ro.product.device=grouper
ro.product.board=grouper
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=Asus
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=tegra3
ro.build.product=grouper
ro.build.description=nakasi-user 4.1.2 JZO54K 485486 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=google/nakasi/grouper:4.1.2/JZO54K/485486:user/release-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet,nosdcard
ro.cm.device=grouper
ro.opengles.version=131072
wifi.interface=wlan0
rild.libpath=/system/lib/libril-icera.so
rild.libargs=-e wwan0
persist.tegra.nvmmlite=1
ro.audio.monitorOrientation=true
debug.nfc.fw_download=false
debug.nfc.se=false
ro.sf.lcd_density=213
ro.rommanager.developerid=cyanogenmod
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.url.legal=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/phone-legal.html
ro.url.legal.android_privacy=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/privacy.html
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-google
ro.com.android.wifi-watchlist=GoogleGuest
ro.setupwizard.enterprise_mode=1
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.com.android.dataroaming=false
ro.cm.version=10-20121217-UNOFFICIAL-grouper
ro.modversion=10-20121217-UNOFFICIAL-grouper
ro.config.ringtone=Orion.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=Deneb.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Hassium.ogg
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
tf.enable=y
drm.service.enabled=true
ro.carrier=wifi-only
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=8m
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=64m
dalvik.vm.heapsize=384m
dalvik.vm.lockprof.threshold=500
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
net.bt.name=Android
net.change=net.bt.name
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt
init.svc.ueventd=running
init.svc.recovery=running
service.adb.root=1
init.svc.adbd=running

I:Checking for extendedcommand...
I:Skipping execution of extendedcommand, file not found...
I:using /data/media for /sdcard/.

-- Installing: /sdcard/0/6ece895ecb23.signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip
Finding update package...
I:Update location: /sdcard/0/6ece895ecb23.signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip
I:using /data/media for /sdcard/0/6ece895ecb23.signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip.
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
file "/system/build.prop" doesn't have any of expected sha1 sums; checking cache
failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to load cache file
script aborted: assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "48f7593c2ff2fa85a147639fd7b77c3bc0607249", "7227890adedc4c5daca6cfe3ea1b6aca319fe6fd")
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "48f7593c2ff2fa85a147639fd7b77c3bc0607249", "7227890adedc4c5daca6cfe3ea1b6aca319fe6fd")
E:Error in /sdcard/0/6ece895ecb23.signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.
I:Can't partition non-vfat: datamedia
I:Can't format unknown volume: /external_sd
I:Can't format unknown volume: /emmc
I:using /data/media for /sdcard.

its_lucky

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
UPADTE: that DID NOT work. :( haha. the update still gave me the same error. and I just got stuck on the boot animation screen. (waited 15 minutes, then did a battery pull :-\ ) I am doing a restore now, and will patiently wait for a better solution.

I'm having the same issue. After I create a backup I am going to try flashing a stock system img and then try the update again per this link: [Q] 4.2.2 OTA "Error" - xda-developers

Will update everyone with the results as soon as i'm done. ::fingers crossed:: wish me luck!

Last edited:

leo9

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I've fixed the problem largely thanks to the following page, which explains that it is caused by the SHA-1 hash code (used as a kind of file version identifier) of one or more files on the system not matching the hash expected by the updater - because some program has unexpectedly modified the file:

[GUIDE] Fix "assert failed: apply_patch_check" error - xda-developers

In my case the problematic file was /system/build.prop, so I needed to find a clean copy of that file from my (as was) *current* version of Android, namely 4.2.1. That is no longer available from Google but it is available from this site:

Nexus 7 Firmware – nakasi | Random Phantasmagoria

I was a little dubious about downloading images from a third-party site, but it seems above-board and I've had no problems.

I wanted the 4.2.1 JOP40D image file listed on that page, nakasi-jop40d-factory-6ac58a1a.tgz. Inside the .tgz file was a .zip file, and inside that was the system.img file that contained the file that I was after - but it wasn't easy to get to: I needed to mount the .img file first.

I used this page -

Unpack/repack ext4 Android system images ? AndWise

- which explains how to use two programs called simg2img and make_ext4fs to mount .img files and make new .img files (I only needed the first). You can do this in any folder (I did it from my Downloads folder):

mkdir sys
./simg2img system.img sys.raw
sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop sys.raw sys/

Then go into the newly created sys folder and find the file that you want.

I took a copy of build.prop from there and used adb to push it to the /sdcard folder on my Nexus 7. On the Nexus 7, I then used ES File Explorer (as root) to rename the existing build.prop file to something else and paste the new build.prop in its place.

Only at this point did I notice that there were already three backups of build.prop in the /system folder. It might have sufficed to take the most recent of those, and use that as my new build.prop. But since I'd already found this clean instance and had no idea about the state of those backups, I didn't try that approach.

I then repeated the update process as described in my initial message (from "adb reboot recovery" onwards). This time, the update proceeded without any further hitches. I now have Jelly Bean 4.2.2! What I don't have is the Sunday afternoon that I wasted working out all of the above.

its_lucky

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya! I also spent Sunday afternoon trying to figure it out, only to fail. heh.
well, congrats on finding the solution! and thanks for the links and walkthrough!
now I'm debating if I want to spend more time on what seems to be such minor update. if you don't mind my asking, in your opinion, was all that work worth it?

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I followed AndroidPolice's adb walkthrough, very easy, lemme go hunt a link brb Ok, here it is; http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/13/the-nexus-4-finally-gets-android-4-2-2-jdq39-as-well-here-are-instructions-for-installing-it-manually/

gnex58

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
hello there thanks for the guide...but will the future updates require the same steps to update?or will it update automatically (settings>about phone>software update)?
and plz try to include a video ,thanks in advance :)

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I have to format my nexus due to some problem and I send it to samsung service centre. Once collected I notice it only use android 4.0.4. Then I upgrade my nexus but it can only be updated until android 4.2.1 not until 4.2.2. Before this I'm running android 4.2.2.. can anybody help me how to fix that problem?

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Get 4.2.2 for your device from this list of images from Google then follow Android Police's walkthrough (substitute the file names according to the image file that you're using, don't use the exact file names from the web page, as listed, exactly because I don't think they apply to your device?I'm assuming you don't have a Nexus 4) to update via adb.

shah.jimish

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to share my story of rooting and how I almost lost my phone by soft bricking it. Firstly a little about me, I am a commerce grad and have absolutely no idea about the technicalities involved in rooting and related activities. Whatever I have learned, I learned from YouTube and android forums...so please forgive me for being a ****, if you think so of me!

I am using my GNex for about 7 months now and after using it in pure vanilla Android form, I decided to root it and fiddle with other ROMS.

I downloaded and installed Nexus Root Toolkit by Wug. Everything went smooth and I insatlled apps which requires root access...like Titanium backup, AdAway et al

Next came custom ROMS...I tried four of them (Carbon, ParanoidAndroid, Cyanogen and AOKP), but keep in mind that I researched thoroughly about the pros and cons of each ROM, I watched youtube videos and read all the reviews on innumerable forums.

I took backup before installing a new one and never dirty flashed - wiped cashe and Delvik cache without fail. After flashing ROM, I used to restore my apps+data from Titanium.

Life was happy and I never got any problem of any kind

Then I flashed AOKP JB MR1 nightly (dont remember the date). ROM worked flawlessly and I was very happy. I thought that if this version is stable, It is time to move to the newer and more stable version. I downloaded via goo.im with compatible GApps and started to backup via TWRP. And bam! the first shock by my rooted GNex....backup failed. I tried three to four times and , it would fail, everytime.

I was quite confident that since I had prevoius ROMs backup, there was no need to be worried. I went ahead and wiped off the data along with cache and delvic cache - without proper backup, and flashed a newer version of AOKP.

And thats when my phone started to act strange. It kept bootlooping and never got past the Nexus' X symbol (its the default welcome screen of AOKP). Other backups restore would yield the same result and thats when I decide to go back to my very first backup (after rooting (JB 4.2.1)). Although it still kept bootlooping, but the frequency was much more less than of other custom ROMs.
I managed to register into my google account and setup all the necessary apps from playstore (It took me three to four tries to complete everything). But it still kept bootlooping...

Then it was time I went back to unrooting the device and start from scratch. But lo and behold! toolkit wont perform the unrooting. After researching more, I found about ODIN. And after installing ODIN on my pc, I managed to revive my phone back to its original form (I found 4.1.1 file and then I upgraded to 4.2.2 via OTA).

Although, I am using 4.2.2 on my phone right now, it still feels a tiny bit slower as compared to the time before I rooted it. And it also reboots itself, especially when used for more than 30 mins or so. The running app freezes and reboots.

Now, I am not from technical background and whatever I have done - rooting, flashing ROMs, using ODIN, I have learned from youtube and forums. But I think that somehow the backup data got corrupted.

I dont know whom to blame, Titanuim backup or ROMs. Needless to say I am blaming myself as it was me who wanted to try out something different and newer on my GNex

Please feel free to ask any question related to this post and I will try my level best to answer it to you.

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Well a year and a quarter later, I found this thread on a search while trying (and trying and trying again) to find out how to remove CyanogenMod from my Gnex. I keep going around in circles and have reset the device several times. I've tried different methods, some don't even get started (e.g., those that require adb and fastboot) because the device isn't being seen via USB, or because it wants to see a zip file, but all I get are tar and tgz files, or when I extract the zip from inside one of those, and put it directly onto the device and select "choose zip from /sdcard" it seems to start, it shows "opening the update package..." then "Installing update..." then "Installation aborted."

The instructions available for this on the web never quite correspond to what I see when I try to follow them. Some seem like they might be out of date, and most are not specific to the Gnex, which seems to not have standard usb capabilities when connected to Windows 7.

I acquired the phone already rooted with CM installed, and it was fine, but started acting strangely and I would like to take it back to stock, unrooted. I admit that I am in way over my head.

Can someone possibly point me towards steps that will let me get CM off my phone?

The reason I want to remove it is because on two separate occasions now, I have lost the ability to set up a screen lock, which represents a security risk far greater than any advantages I might have in running a rooted phone with a custom mod.

All help will be most appreciated.

leo9

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Dear Ms. Grinning Soul,

First, let me apologise if anything I say below is misleading or just plain wrong. When I posted my messages up there, back in early 2013, I entirely grokked the task of installing the update on my Nexus tablet, but a year and a half later it's mostly just a blur. My brain works on an "internalise the task at hand and then dump everything" basis.

I think the most important point I have to make is that (originally, at least) this thread is about installing an Android update under ClockworkMod (CWM), whereas you want to get rid of CyanogenMod (CM), which is a whole 'nother kettle of kidneys. (See their separate Wikipedia pages.) I seem to remember the similarity of the two acronyms bamboozling me for a while back then, especially since some people's help pages use one acronym when referring to the other. Having said that, the CWM log that I posted up there includes the line

ro.rommanager.developerid=cyanogenmod

Not sure what's going on there! I probably could have told you 19 months ago.

Next, you mention different approaches not working for different reasons. If an approach requires adb and fastboot, why not install them? They're available on pretty much any platform you might be using. If a program wants a zip file, but you only have tar or tgz files, then it should be possible to convert between the two: they're just different archive formats. Extract the tar/tgz file into a folder structure on your machine, then recompress as a zip.

Does this video help?

[Oh, brother! I just tried to post a YouTube link, but Android Central says I can't do so until I have made more than 10 posts. Jesus, I'm just trying to help! Google the phrase "Google Nexus: How to bring Android back to stock and/or unbrick your Nexus (uninstalls Cyanogenmod)" instead.]

It seems to be comprehensive, and it includes a link to a separate video about installing the Android SDK, which will include an install of adb and fastboot. If you install a software development kit, you will not be forced to become a software developer by agents leaping from black helicopters (though they might try) =) .

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi Thanks for the reply. I was going to post an update here, but you beat me to it.

I was aware of the difference between CM and CWM, and also of how they sometimes one is accidentally abbreviated as the the other. That said, I didn't quite grok that that thread was focused on CWM, since I was just happy to find any relatively recent thread about un-modding a Gnex annd returning it to stock.

Anyway I was going to put a detailed update here, complete with links to to where I found the info that let me restore my Gnex to stock, then remod it, the restore it again. In fact, I have the post all written, but the forum sill not let me post links until I have 10 posts. This one will be my 8th. I seem to have found a way around it by stripping the front off the links. I hope it doesn't get me banned from the site.

Here is my update -- though it might not be directly relevant to the OP, it might be useful for someone else in my situation who stumbles upon it through similar searches.

I was able to return my Samsung Galaxy Nexus to stock from a modded state (in my case, Cyanogenmod 10.2.1) by following the combined directions on the following few pages.

The links on this How To Geek page first pointed me towards clearly laid out steps for unlocking and rooting. As it turns out, I did not need to actually use the app being discussed on the HTG page (Titanium Backup), though it was helpful in clarifying some concepts. howtogeek.com/70715/how-to-backup-and-restore-your-android-phone-with-titanium-backup/

This link takes you to where you can download the drivers to set up proper communication between the Android device and Windows, using Device Manager. forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20058157&postcount=1

This page takes you through the steps on how to actually use the drivers obtained in the link just above. Note: some of the illustrations and/or terminology in this article may differ somewhat from what you actually see in your Device Manager (I was using Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit), but not so drastically that you shouldn't be able to figure out what corresponds to that you are seeing. Hints: 1) What you see will depend on whether the device is connected at the time. 2) It refers to looking in DM under the Portable Devices node, which is correct, but at one point I also had to check the node that appeared above it (I don't recall its name, and don't know if it will appear in the same place each time, but it was findable and it made sense when I did it.) forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=29044502&postcount=735

With the drivers installed, this page has excellent detailed step by step instructions on how to return a Gnex to stock, including how to unlock and root the device (which it already will be if it has been modded, but these steps proved useful after I reset the rooted device.) All the links in this post go to useful info and resources. forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-nexus/general/how-to-return-to-stock-galaxy-nexus-t1626895

Finally, I can't reconstruct how I found myself on this page (probably a search at xda) but this has been extremely useful in working with and understanding unlocking, locking, rooting, and unrooting, as well as backing up and restoring system images. forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-nexus/verizon-develop/toolkit-wugs-nexus-root-toolkit-v1-8-3-t2208865

I have since developed another problem with my Gnex, that may or may not have been a consequence of following these steps, but I am pretty sure it was more due to user (that is, my) error than with the steps and procedures themselves.

It it's not obvious, although I know my way around Windows, I am a total noob when it comes to Android, much less to modding and unmodding it. But having run through the above steps a few times now, my understanding has increased.... though obviously not well enough to prevent my doing something to f things up.

Hope this helps someone. But as always, use at your own risk.

Hopefully this post won't get me banned.

xo,
LGS