MMS attachments showing up as slideshow

Vincent Micciche

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
First of all, I'd like to say hello to everyone! Total noob here and first post ever, so forgive me if this has been posted/answered somewhere else.
Bought a Nexus 4 (running Jelly Bean 4.2.1 though I'm waiting for 4.2.2!) after switching from iPhone and couldn't be happier! Taking a little getting use to but overall I love the experience so far.

My question is, is there any way to get pictures to just show up in a text thread and view them by just tapping on them a la iOS? (some habits are hard to break).
I know I can just long hold and download the image to my gallery, but that seems kind of inefficient. I've also read in other forums that Handcent would fix the problem but it didn't really do much for me. Sometimes it would work but then wouldn't for long periods of time and honestly I like the stock messages app.

Maybe there is a setting I'm not checking, or maybe it is the format my friends are sending the pictures (they all have iPhones unfortunately), or maybe it is my provider (AT&T), maybe it is a combination, or something else I'm forgetting? Maybe rooting can fix it? I don't know.
I've read a few times that this is JB functioning correctly, but it seems like it should be able to do something as basic as this.
If that's the case then I can live with it, but any light on the situation is greatly appreciated!

(sorry if this was long winded!)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Believe they are talking about the pics they receive. Seems to be an Android thing. Every Android I have had, no matter the OS version, had done this. It's the 1 thing I don't like about Android. Need to see if there is a fix for this, myself..

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, testing myself, if I just text a pic to myself, no problem. If I add 1 writers if text, it's a slideshow. I've also read that possible iPhone might like to make it a slideshow when it sends to Android..gonna test a "no text" pic coming from iPhone.

Vincent Micciche

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok confirmed..If it's just a pic and no text, it's not a slideshow from an iPhone either.

Very interesting...makes me wonder if this is something that a custom ROM could fix because it sounds like a bit of code could be changed in how JB handles incoming media messages. I'll do a little digging and see if that is the case.

appreciate the effort you're putting in to this btw!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Very interesting...makes me wonder if this is something that a custom ROM could fix because it sounds like a bit of code could be changed in how JB handles incoming media messages. I'll do a little digging and see if that is the case.

appreciate the effort you're putting in to this btw!

Oh I've been wanting to know also, but with just the pic, I couldn't save it to my phone. At least the slideshow you can download it if you want to save it. They need to change this. To save it, I have to do a screenshot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835