4.2.2 - "owner" is just named owner instead if my name (picture)

DarkKV

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
When doing a two finger swipe the top left where its meant to say your name picture etc it just says owner..
Any ideas? I've uninstalled a few stock apps such as talk, and Google + that might be the cause if it grabs your name from Google + ? screenshot: http://imgur.com/7H1EbVz.png

DarkKV

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
long pressing it does nothing but when I do press it, it just says contact does not exist on the bottom of the screen.

Last edited:

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
That information is pulled from the "Me" contact (The first contact shown in the People app.) I'm assuming you're using stock Android. It doesn't automatically link to Google+ unless you add your Gmail address to the Me contact. I wish it would automatically connect and populate when you sign in to Google.

DarkKV

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That information is pulled from the "Me" contact (The first contact shown in the People app.) I'm assuming you're using stock Android. It doesn't automatically link to Google+ unless you add your Gmail address to the Me contact. I wish it would automatically connect and populate when you sign in to Google.
The people app? I am on stock android though I did root and clear out some "bloatware" including Google +, but not sure about the people app? Is it on the app store, cant seem to find it...

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The people app? I am on stock android though I did root and clear out some "bloatware" including Google +, but not sure about the people app? Is it on the app store, cant seem to find it...

If you don't know what the People app is then you must not be running pure stock Android on a Nexus. It's the default contacts application for Android on Nexus devices.

Either that, or you deleted too much and broke a core function.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

My "Me" contact does not include my gmail/Google+ address, yet it pulled my name and picture from Google+. You do not have to add your gmail address to the contact in order for that to happen. Everything is tied to your gmail address and you enter that when you first use the phone. The poster somehow deleted Google+ from his phone and I believe that is why the info is missing.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My "Me" contact does not include my gmail/Google+ address, yet it pulled my name and picture from Google+. You do not have to add your gmail address to the contact in order for that to happen. Everything is tied to your gmail address and you enter that when you first use the phone. The poster somehow deleted Google+ from his phone and I believe that is why the info is missing.

Sounds reasonable. I stand corrected.

I was recalling my setup of my Nexus 10 and remember adding my Gmail address to the Me contact before my picture showed up. It's probable that Google+ simply hadn't populated the contact yet.

I agree. I think his deleting of what he considers "bloatware" (i.e. Google+) broke that function. I guess he didn't realize that Google is integrating Google+ into many of Android's contact/Gmail functions. Deleting it is a bad idea.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Deleting it is a bad idea.

It is indeed. Google is tying everything to your gmail address (including Google+) so that all their apps are fully integrated. It is a smart idea and not necessarily a new idea (think Apple). The good thing about the way Google goes about it is that you can play inside or outside of Google's sandbox. With Apple it is their way or the highway. ;)

7seven

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone is still following this or not, but in order to fix the issue all you have to do is to sync Google+ (assuming that you have yourself in the Contacts list and you have your email address filled in).

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone is still following this or not, but in order to fix the issue all you have to do is to sync Google+ (assuming that you have yourself in the Contacts list and you have your email address filled in).

The OP stopped responding partway through the diagnosis of his problem. Since he rooted and deleted Google+ from his phone, I'm not sure your solution will do him any good. But as you've probably already read, we suspect he deleted too much and ended up crippling some functions. Since he hasn't replied back we'll never know if he resolved his issues.

motofan1975

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
if you can't edit your owner info, the problem is, that you have an alternative contactlist editor, dialer app (exdilaer, etc.). if another app is the default contacts editor, then you can not edit the owner box. you have to clear the launch by defalult permission:
- open: manage apps,
- set: the another contact list editor (exdialer, etc.),
- push the clear defaults button at the "launch by default".

PARESH BHOI

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
owner add is simple
add with step 4
1.open your contact (people)
2.me add your number name and picture
3.save this contact
4.done this is owner add system

vks2004

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Referring to the owner of the phone by two names i.e. "Owner" contact and "Me" contact is confusing. There should only be one name. I actually added a "Owner" contact to my contacts list and it had no effect. After reading this thread I edited the Me contact and now it shows proper info.

Thanx to all contributors.

lderks

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
This is the right solution. In One Plus One (Cyanogen 12.1) it uses the "Phone" as default contact app and it doesn't have and edit option for the owner. Use the "Contact" app instead and edit the "ME" info. Then when u cick on the user owner it will show the contact and no longer the message "The contact doesn't exist".

You hey

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
New to Android (and suffering at the moment) so I'm not sure if I'm following this thread as to expected behavior but it sounds like it is related to my issue.

With WP, logging into my MSFT account brought in all my info as the owner. Here, I logged into my google account when setting up the Nexus 6P phone and under "Users" I see the Owner shows my "You (Curtis)" first name only with no picture. When I use the default Contacts app the first contact is "ME" with my first and last name, no picture, no information. After going to "contacts to display" - Customize, and telling it to display all contact types for GMail (why the hell does it not do this by default when I select "all"??) I see my Gmail contacts including my actual Google account with my picture and all my info listed as a separate contact.

Is this expected with Android (and the associated Google account) or have I done something wrong?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown