Thinking about switching from iPhone to Galaxy S4

joeg679

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I've had every model of the iphone since it's inception and I've loved it, but have gotten increasingly frustrated with it. The only way that I can have all the functionality that I want is to jailbreak it and Apple spends more time trying to find ways to stop people from jailbreaking than it does implementing new functions. Before I switch over, I'd like to know if the droid platform does some of the things that I want out of the phone. One tweak that I use on my jailbroken iphone is something called messages+. Basically, this allows you to be in your mail app or watching youtube or something else and when you receive a text, you just click on the notification and it overlays over what you are doing, you reply and the message app goes away. On the stock iPhone message app, when you receive a text when your doing some other function with the phone, you have to get out of what you are doing and go into the message app to respond, which is a pain in the neck. I've used the GS3 for s few minutes and I do not like the keyboard. Is there an iphone-type keyboard available for android? If anyone has switched over from an iPhone, I'd appreciate your help. Thanks

diabloking

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had every model of the iphone since it's inception and I've loved it, but have gotten increasingly frustrated with it. The only way that I can have all the functionality that I want is to jailbreak it and Apple spends more time trying to find ways to stop people from jailbreaking than it does implementing new functions. Before I switch over, I'd like to know if the droid platform does some of the things that I want out of the phone. One tweak that I use on my jailbroken iphone is something called messages+. Basically, this allows you to be in your mail app or watching youtube or something else and when you receive a text, you just click on the notification and it overlays over what you are doing, you reply and the message app goes away. On the stock iPhone message app, when you receive a text when your doing some other function with the phone, you have to get out of what you are doing and go into the message app to respond, which is a pain in the neck. I've used the GS3 for s few minutes and I do not like the keyboard. Is there an iphone-type keyboard available for android? If anyone has switched over from an iPhone, I'd appreciate your help. Thanks

Welcome to the forums! There are a ton of SMS apps that have a popup feature just like what your describing messages+ does so that should be no problem. Also for the keyboard there is plenty to choose from and most of them have some sort of iPhone skin to them.

joeg679

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. It's not really the look of the keyboard, but the functionality. I was typing on a GS3 and it kept suggesting words and forcing me to tap on the word to finish it. I just want to be able to type normally and make suggestions and be able to dismiss them like the iphone. Also, can you tell me some of the message apps that you like? Thanks

diabloking

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. It's not really the look of the keyboard, but the functionality. I was typing on a GS3 and it kept suggesting words and forcing me to tap on the word to finish it. I just want to be able to type normally and make suggestions and be able to dismiss them like the iphone. Also, can you tell me some of the message apps that you like? Thanks

If you do get a GS4 take a look at Swift Key that's what I personally use along with a lot of others and find that to be the best. I used to use Handcent SMS and they have a popup feature when I had my Galaxy Nexus, right now I have the GN2 and use the stock messaging app. The only thing is I'm not sure if you do a lot of group messaging with other iPhone users but some SMS apps don't really like/work too well for it. The stock Samsung app works but no popup as far as I know.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
If you receive a text message while in another app you will receive a notification. You do not have to quit the app, just swipe down to see the message and tap on it if you need to respond. When you close it you will be right back in your app.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Yup, that's a stock feature of Android. Also i recommend Swiftkey 3 for a keyboard, it has a bunch of skins, great prediction ability, plus it's highly customizable so you can always tweak it to work exactly how you want.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Awesome. The only thing I think I'll miss besides all my friends being on iMessage is tweetbot.
There's usually an alternative. There are plenty of Twitter apps for Android and you can always use a cross-platform messaging app to message your friends on iOS for free.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Try out Swift Key for an alternate keyboard. It's better than the iOS keyboard. You will miss Tweetbot. I like Falcon pro a lot on Android as a twitter client. But they just hit their token limit recently so you won't be able to use it unless some have been freed up. The other Twitter clients I would recommend are Ubersocial and Carbon.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
If you receive a text message while in another app you will receive a notification. You do not have to quit the app, just swipe down to see the message and tap on it if you need to respond. When you close it you will be right back in your app.

I'd just like to point out that doing this will still bring up the messaging app to the front and the other app will behind it. So you won't be able to bang out a message on top of the video while it's playing like the iOS jailbreak the OP is talking about. On iOS you could do the same thing; Tap notification that appears, type message, hit send, double tap home button and select the app you were just using and it will be right back where you were.

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. The only thing I think I'll miss besides all my friends being on iMessage is tweetbot.

Tell your friends to download whatsapp I find more reliable then iMessage.

You will not find anything like tweetbot on android. Honestly there's no apps like iOS apps only thing I miss about iOS.

cool. Any messaging apps that work with my mac? Imessage is good because I can basically text from my computer.

You can use airdroid app I think for that.

Sent via Tapatalk