OS updates disabled after rooting

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello. New forum member, new tablet user, and believe it or not, new mobile computer user. I have found most every answer to my many questions by googling, but answering this question is more elusive for some reason.

SCENARIO: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7. Running Jellybean 4.1.1. Rooted with Odin & CF-Auto root procedure. All went well. Installed ROM manager and performed Nandroid backup. All went well.

I happened to do a manual check for updates (Settings / About Device / Software update), and I got "Your device has been modified. software updates are not available". I knew I was voiding my warranty by rooting, but have I also lost my ability to apply OS updates? There must be a workaround, but not finding it so far.

thanx ahead of time for any answers.
jim

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
There is no workaround. You will not receive OTA updates on a rooted device. The fix is to un-root the phone. OTA updates are meant for completely stock devices. Once you root a device it is no longer stock which means you may have made other changes and allowing an OTA update has the potential to brick a device. You other alternative would be to flash the new ROMS as they come out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan