- 5 Posts
OS updates disabled after rooting
Hello. New forum member, new tablet user, and believe it or not, new mobile computer user. I have found most every answer to my many questions by googling, but answering this question is more elusive for some reason.
SCENARIO: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7. Running Jellybean 4.1.1. Rooted with Odin & CF-Auto root procedure. All went well. Installed ROM manager and performed Nandroid backup. All went well.
I happened to do a manual check for updates (Settings / About Device / Software update), and I got "Your device has been modified. software updates are not available". I knew I was voiding my warranty by rooting, but have I also lost my ability to apply OS updates? There must be a workaround, but not finding it so far.
thanx ahead of time for any answers.
- 02-28-2013, 09:38 AM #2
- 2,723 Posts
Re: OS updates disabled after rooting
There is no workaround. You will not receive OTA updates on a rooted device. The fix is to un-root the phone. OTA updates are meant for completely stock devices. Once you root a device it is no longer stock which means you may have made other changes and allowing an OTA update has the potential to brick a device. You other alternative would be to flash the new ROMS as they come out.
- By sc0rpion in forum Motorola X Rooting, ROMs, and HacksReplies: 2Last Post: 09-26-2010, 07:44 PM
- By Raditude#AC in forum Software Development and HackingReplies: 3Last Post: 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM
- By sc0rpion in forum Motorola Droid XReplies: 0Last Post: 09-24-2010, 11:50 PM
- By kalldrexx in forum Motorola Droid Rooting, ROMs and HacksReplies: 5Last Post: 02-11-2010, 11:08 AM
- By ethrbunny in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 1Last Post: 09-14-2009, 08:01 PM