Very cool and a little creepy

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife used my ipad to look up a store she wanted to go to. She was using the safari browser. She leaves to go to the store and I happen to check Google Now on my Note 2 and there are directions and estimated travel time to the store she just looked up. I guess I expected to see something like this if using Chrome but not another browser. I must have been logged into Google on the ipad still.

If you can get past Google looking at everything you do it really is pretty cool. It just gave my wife one more reason to ditch her iPhone. She said "my phone doesn't do that!" I hear that a lot.

Sent from my Really Big Phone

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I really like that feature.... it comes in handy quite often. I'm not at all worried about the amount of "tracking" Google or anyone else does, I honestly couldn't be bothered to waste my time worrying about it. :)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
If you can get past Google looking at everything you do it really is pretty cool. It just gave my wife one more reason to ditch her iPhone. She said "my phone doesn't do that!" I hear that a lot.

I've never had a problem per se with the data collection Google performs on me through their services, but it's encouraging to see them turn around and send the data back at us in cool ways like this.

Google Now has made stressful days much easier on me, with no input required. That's one of the biggest attractions for me.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
My wife used my ipad to look up a store she wanted to go to. She was using the safari browser. She leaves to go to the store and I happen to check Google Now on my Note 2 and there are directions and estimated travel time to the store she just looked up. I guess I expected to see something like this if using Chrome but not another browser. I must have been logged into Google on the ipad still.

Lucky for her she wasn't looking up something you would find objectionable - like the address of a divorce attorney. :eek:

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think Google Now is a great service. I find myself using the info it gives me all the time. I was just surprised when this one popped up. As long as it's providing useful info then I'm good with it scanning my activities.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
The feature I find creepy is in maps when it tells you everywhere you went the day before.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not at all worried about the amount of "tracking" Google or anyone else does, I honestly couldn't be bothered to waste my time worrying about it. :)
If you can get past Google looking at everything you do it really is pretty cool.

I've never had a problem per se with the data collection Google performs on me through their services, but it's encouraging to see them turn around and send the data back at us in cool ways like this.
Oh no....

That is creepy.
I turned off my location history to stop it. If the OP has location history on in his Google account, and Google Maps on his iPad, had his wife taken it with her, he could have seen whether she went to the store or not. (Not in real time, but the next day).

And, THAT is why I don't like having Google follow me. Because even though they claim only you can see it, anyone that has your phone - child, coworker, or in the OP's case, his account on an iPad, could see it. I mean, his wife could see the same things about him from his phone data, on the iPad. This is all without the other person knowing they are being tracked while going about their day or the person finding it even necessarily meaning to come across the info - like what actually happened in this story.

If you've never seen this in maps, you should look at it. It is basically a tracking device. From the moment you move it gives you where you were, name and address, time you were there, when you left, where you went next, how far you drove, until the day ends. Not long before they start talking about this feature on crime shows to get a victim's last movements or check an alibi. Could help them find someone too who might be missing.

Last edited:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
And, THAT is why I don't like having Google follow me. Because even though they claim only you can see it, anyone that has your phone - child, coworker, or in the OP's case, his account on an iPad, could see it. I mean, his wife could see the same things about him from his phone data, on the iPad. This is all without the other person knowing they are being tracked while going about their day or the person finding it even necessarily meaning to come across the info - like what actually happened in this story.

Anyone who has your Google account on their device, or physical access to one of your devices, can see this history. You're right that this could potentially become an issue, but if you're not too open about where you leave your accounts signed in and who has unrestricted (read: no lock screen security) access to your devices then you should not have any problems.

It is basically a tracking device. From the moment you move it gives you where you were, name and address, time you were there, when you left, where you went next, how far you drove, until the day ends. Not long before they start talking about this feature on crime shows to get a victim's last movements or check an alibi. Could help them find someone too who might be missing.

Sure, though many of those points are valid for cell phone triangulation and tower connection history as well. Same with a car's built-in GPS. That is, from the perspective of law enforcement access. If you're talking about a friend or relative using this information, I refer to my above statements about others' access to this information.

If people you don't trust can easily access this 'history' of your activities, my personal recommendation would be to re-think how open you are with access to your devices and your account.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i find Google Now intrusive. i don't want my device throwing cards at me at random times. especially info which is old, redundant, or i don't need anymore. it's annoying.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
i find Google Now intrusive. i don't want my device throwing cards at me at random times. especially info which is old, redundant, or i don't need anymore. it's annoying.

I would agree if that were happening to me. So far everything that has been pushed to me has been relevant and useful. Hopefully it stays that way. I wonder why your experience is different. What kind of info are you getting that is old and redundant?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I would agree if that were happening to me. So far everything that has been pushed to me has been relevant and useful. Hopefully it stays that way. I wonder why your experience is different. What kind of info are you getting that is old and redundant?

anything that you searched for but changed your mind on later.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Can it be disabled?

yeah i turned off Google Now on my phone. in addition you can tweak the settings to only allow certain cards. i'm sure over time it will get better and get more precise, more perfected. but the cards just really annoyed me in general. the type of information it was giving me i like to go get "on demand" rather than thrown at me randomly at random times. i don't like the unpredictability of when i was getting that information. i like full control. in addition, the battery drain was significant.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
yeah i turned off Google Now on my phone. in addition you can tweak the settings to only allow certain cards. i'm sure over time it will get better and get more precise, more perfected. but the cards just really annoyed me in general. the type of information it was giving me i like to go get "on demand" rather than thrown at me randomly at random times. i don't like the unpredictability of when i was getting that information. i like full control. in addition, the battery drain was significant.

Details? Battery drain is something I'm just used to. I have two batteries, keep my phone on charge in my work truck, and have an external battery pack if/when needed. I'd rather have my phone functioning in all areas than try and skimp here and there to get an extra 30 minutes of battery time, and lose out on features.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz