Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Default Re: Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich or Gingerbread : Which is better?

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    There are are only two situations (both related) in which I could understand someone mistaking GB for being better than ICS or JB.
    1. They had a GB device that was upgraded and had resulting stability or bug issues on an Android based device, such as a Touchwiz or Sense device.
    2. They've never used stock versions of both. Touchwiz, Sense and other Android based devices having issues shortly following upgrades to software is really common.

Keep in mind this thread started with the silly sentiment, "Although, there is no difference between any OS of Android, but I still have a doubt which OS is better from their functionalities and features?"

There are huge and obvious differences between 4.2.1 and 4.2.2, let alone 4.1.x, 4.0.x and 2.3.x. both in terms of features and functionality, as well as design, efficiency and usability. If there were no differences, there'd be no reason for incrementing the release. Likewise, if the changes weren't immense, even on Android based devices, no one would have been annoyed that HTC released the One on 4.1 instead of 4.2.2.
    All very true.

stick to ICS..Jelly bean is crap.. I am suffering.. Dont upgrade..

Global Posts
    5,719 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep577 View Post
    stick to ICS..Jelly bean is crap.. I am suffering.. Dont upgrade..
    On what, a Galaxy S2? That's definitely 1 of the 2 situations.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Obviously whatever the latest is best. The only thing that could possibly be better than Jellybean is the next release!!!

Newer is not always better. Especially when updates can come with their own set of bugs.

Global Posts
    5,719 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by sergeantandroid View Post
    Newer is not always better. Especially when updates can come with their own set of bugs.
    Comparing stock 4.2 to 4.0 to 2.3, there is no question that 4.0 was much better than 2.3 and 4.2 is much better than 4.0... on stock. If Android based devices screw this up on their entire spin-off or on specific devices, that's not the underlying Android version being screwed up, that's poor decision making on the OEM's part... and possibly on the consumer's part.

The OEM's hear from consumer that they want to be on the latest and greatest software, but they're not working on improving your legacy device, they're working on the next device that'll be released approximately 20 months later. We provide incentives for them to make new devices, not to support old ones and then we're surprised when they rush through a token effort to provide legacy support at no benefit to themselves other than customer satisfaction - a double edged sword that can hurt them because of their poor execution despite their efforts to meet customer demands.

Consumers concerned with updates and/or the latest and greatest software should support Nexus devices, and in that context, the latest is always better.

When talking about the S2 for example, it was fine on Gingerbread, okay on ICS and has a lot of complaints now that it's on Jelly Bean. The Galaxy Nexus (more or less same device with slightly better hardware, a worse camera and much better software) started on ICS and was amazingly better than the S2, flies on Jelly Bean and will have Key Lime Pie without issues, which I'd be shocked to see on an S2. In my opinion, it'd be foolish to buy the S2 in any scenario out of those two devices, yet millions upon millions picked the S2 and then complained about Samsung's issues providing updates to their TouchWiz phones.

I feel as tho Jelly Bean has caused too many problems with my phone, I liked ICS it was a good middle ground between GB and JB

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Official Nightlies

Gingerbread was better with integration, ICS and Jellybean are better with speed (especially the latter). All OS versions IMO are painfully slower when they're skinned compared to the stock AOSP versions.
    Devices (Their ROMs and respective mods, if any):

Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]
    Asus Nexus 7 (2013): Official 4.4.2 KitKat OTA, ViPER4Android FX

If you don't like Jelly Bean throw a launcher on top of it like Apex, Nova or Holo HD. When I was running GB I put Holo on my phone and not only did it give me many ICS features like folders and the ICS menu system, but it also made the phone buttery smooth and fast. Holo uses some ICS code to accomplish that. If you are running ICS and put Holo HD on your phone it will give you a lot of JB features and it will smooth out ICS' jitters because it incorporates Jelly Bean's Project Butter code and so you get project butter's smooth screen transitions.

The key to any of these OS's depends in part on using a launcher as it can change the OS dramatically and in most cases improve it.

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Feature wise jelly beanof course. But stability wise and smoothness wise on the s2. Gingerbread. No phone I have used s 3, 4, galaxy nexus.) Even come close to the smoothness. Which is really making it hard for me to upgrade to a different phone cause I know I week lose the flawless experience. Be it the ui, or the browser.only people who had the galaxy s2 will understand.

Maybe it was my POS Atrix 4G, but the S4 with JB is way so much better than 2.3...

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by IND3LIBLE View Post
    Feature wise jelly beanof course. But stability wise and smoothness wise on the s2. Gingerbread. No phone I have used s 3, 4, galaxy nexus.) Even come close to the smoothness. Which is really making it hard for me to upgrade to a different phone cause I know I week lose the flawless experience. Be it the ui, or the browser.only people who had the galaxy s2 will understand.
    Of course, considering that the Galaxy S2 is a flagship phone around 2011-2012 until newer, more powerful phones came out. A phone's performance also depends on software, not just hardware. You can have a Galaxy S4 with two quad-core processors, but have ridiculous amounts of lag with TouchWiz, loaded with tons of bloatware. If the Galaxy S2 runs great with TouchWiz, you can bet it WILL run superbly with stock vanilla android. Samsung seemed to have reached its peak with the Galaxy S2, but its newer devices seemed to have lost their luster.

Honestly, forgive me for going a little off-topic, but android nowadays seems like a spec arms-race, with all these OEM's packing powerful new features into their upcoming phones.

Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]
    Thanked by:
    Lucki 
    Lucki likes this.

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HNNNNNGHHH View Post
    Of course, considering that the Galaxy S2 is a flagship phone around 2011-2012 until newer, more powerful phones came out. A phone's performance also depends on software, not just hardware. You can have a Galaxy S4 with two quad-core processors, but have ridiculous amounts of lag with TouchWiz, loaded with tons of bloatware. If the Galaxy S2 runs great with TouchWiz, you can bet it WILL run superbly with stock vanilla android. Samsung seemed to have reached its peak with the Galaxy S2, but its newer devices seemed to have lost their luster.

Honestly, forgive me for going a little off-topic, but android nowadays seems like a spec arms-race, with all these OEM's packing powerful new features into their upcoming phones.
    Yeah I wonder why the newer ones are not as smooth. Wish they would optimize them like they dis with the s2 on GB.:o

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Without any doubt the latest jelly bean is better than others.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by IND3LIBLE View Post
    Yeah I wonder why the newer ones are not as smooth. Wish they would optimize them like they dis with the s2 on GB.:o

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Most OEM's are taking the "quantity over quality" route, which in turn results in poorly-made products and a bus-load of unhappy consumers. Earlier in the android game, Samsung was basically in a lower tier than HTC, who was the first pioneer of Android. Now that Samsung is at the top of the market, they appear to have this Apple-esque attitude that us "ignorant" consumers will take anything they make because of our incessant brand-recognition and fanatic loyalty to them.

That is partially the reason why I more-or-less go for slightly older flagship Android phones since they were made with performance and quality in mind, back when android OEM's were scared of Apple and their insanely huge fanbase, as well as the fact that older devices have had more software development and hacking under their belt compared to newer devices such as the HTC One and Galaxy S4.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by priyanka24 View Post
    Without any doubt the latest jelly bean is better than others.
    Not necessarily, as even major OS upgrades bring software bugs that were not present in the previous iteration. I've had better experience with Jelly Bean 4.1.2 than Jelly Bean 4.2.2.

Global Posts
    5,719 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by HNNNNNGHHH View Post
    Not necessarily, as even major OS upgrades bring software bugs that were not present in the previous iteration. I've had better experience with Jelly Bean 4.1.2 than Jelly Bean 4.2.2.
    You're also on a TouchWiz device, not on stock. They make heavy modifications that change the experience... some in good ways, some in bad ways. 4.2 stock compared to 4.1 stock is better.

I'm new to Android. was my friend in understanding Android versions. I concluded that it's not usual to upgrade Android so the version supplied on your phone when you buy it is pretty much what you've got till you buy a new one. Win95 and Win7 were both pretty good and stable except many easy to use features have been expunged over the intervening period. Running Win7 on a 95 capable computer is asking for unhappiness and vice versa likewise. Here is my limited experience so far:

Samsung galaxy mini 2 GT-6500D 800MHz 3 1/4"
    Gingerbread 2.3.6
    Uses: phone, texting, GPS navigation, music, WiFi hotspot
    Satisfaction: 110%

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7105 1.6GHz 5 1/2" s pen
    Jellybean 4.1.2
    Uses: handwritten notes, read online and kindle reference books and pdf scientific papers, photographs, read MS office files, USB transfer to desktop computers.
    Satisfaction 80%
    Problems: awkward USB access, insufficient privacy, Firefox performs poorly (Chrome goes great but I would rather not), flakey external SD card
    Unexpectedly good: handwriting recognition, reading office docs, very quick smooth touch performance, 3G hotspot speed 13MBps (twice what I get by copper line)

They're different tools. GB is very efficient on a hardworking telephone. JB can do the job of a desktop OS if you have the real estate.

I'll update but, seeing everyone's experiences here, will be upversioning as little as possible - not broke.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM

You're also on a TouchWiz device, not on stock. They make heavy modifications that change the experience... some in good ways, some in bad ways. 4.2 stock compared to 4.1 stock is better.
    Actually, I'm using CyanogenMod 10, which in a way counts as stock due to the ROM being AOSP-based, with a few performance tweaks and such. I've also used complete stock builds without root of android jelly bean 4.1.2 on my SGSII.

While I can agree that 4.2.2 stock is better than 4.1.2 stock, the experience truly varies with each device. Jelly bean 4.1.2 works VERY well on the particular handset compared to 4.2.2, but that's because most ROMs with 4.2.2 are merely monthly builds or nightlies. I have yet to change my decision about it when a stable release becomes available.

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

Agreed!

They are upgrades incremental to each other. Gingerbread is 2.3.x, Honeycomb hardly exists anymore (3.0.x), ICS was leaps and bounds superior to both and combined Tablet and Phone UI's into one set of code (4.0.x). Jellybean 4.1.x introduced Google Now, Project Butter and a slew of awesome sauce features, while Jelly Bean 4.2.2 has primarily been bug fixes and bringing long asked for features, such as lock screen widgets, better inter-app integration, settings quick keys, etc. In general, the higher the number the better The differences between GB, ICS and JB are immense, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Karearea View Post
    awkward USB access, insufficient privacy, Firefox performs poorly (Chrome goes great but I would rather not), flakey external SD card
    USB: Could you explain this a bit more? I'm curious as to what you mean. Make sure MTP is used in the settings when you plug your phone into the computer, and you should be fine.
    Privacy: What do you mean by that? I'm fairly sure Gingerbread is the same if not worse in this area.
    Browsing: Then use another browser. Dolphin is much faster than Firefox, and Chrome Beta performs much better than Chrome (you can't actually perform a Play Store search for Chrome Beta, search it on Google).
    SD Card: Use Solid Explorer. Fantastic file explorer, and will probably solve any navigation issues that you might be having.
    Karearea likes this.

Yeah, as per my opinion, we should go with updated version, which is a jelly bean. I have heard good reviews about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronstar View Post
    out of the box its gotta be JB. But I agree with Jon_Doh that JB can be emulated quite well with third party launchers and tweaking.
    Just the look of the launcher. Nothing more. And even that is a wash.

Sent from my HTC ONE

My ICS recently upgraded to 4.2.1,now I have to deal with system lag,I have seen no advantages to the upgrade.Wonder if a reset would help

Quote Originally Posted by Walkop View Post
    USB: Could you explain this a bit more? I'm curious as to what you mean. Make sure MTP is used in the settings when you plug your phone into the computer, and you should be fine.
    Privacy: What do you mean by that? I'm fairly sure Gingerbread is the same if not worse in this area.
    Browsing: Then use another browser. Dolphin is much faster than Firefox, and Chrome Beta performs much better than Chrome (you can't actually perform a Play Store search for Chrome Beta, search it on Google).
    SD Card: Use Solid Explorer. Fantastic file explorer, and will probably solve any navigation issues that you might be having.
    Thanks Walkop, I'll do my best to explain. It is a really good phone and OS so these are minor annoyances.

USB access: I'd like to be able to just plug the phone in and work on the files there using the MS Explorer, Mac Finder or Ubuntu file manager. It's a hassle to have to use a proprietary app from Samsung (Kies) to communicate.

Privacy: This seems to be a feature of all Android but becomes more of a concern as you put more data on your device. Every app wants permission to see your contacts, who you phone, write to your memory, use your GPS location and I can't see why, its not necessary on MacOS or Win or Linux. But if you want the app you have to sign your privacy away. There are also many apps which offer little more than the JB operating system and many that include adverts which is all insecure. Basically, google could see up your a******* if they ever felt like it.

Browsing: I'd like to be able to use my same browser as I do on other devices. There's no reason why Firefox couldn't be allowed to give good efficiency, unless Chrome has access or compatibility to other features of Android.

SD card is probably a hardware problem I suspect. I've had it with the same brand on another ph using GB too. Unless others have had similar message "SD card is damaged. Want to reformat ?"

Anyway these are relatively minor problems.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast