Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich or Gingerbread : Which is better?

Although, there is no difference between any OS of Android, but I still have a doubt which OS is better from their functionalities and features?

Global Posts
    7,051 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich or Gingerbread : Which is better?

Quote Originally Posted by androidexperts View Post
    Although, there is no difference between any OS of Android, but I still have a doubt which OS is better from their functionalities and features?
    They are upgrades incremental to each other. Gingerbread is 2.3.x, Honeycomb hardly exists anymore (3.0.x), ICS was leaps and bounds superior to both and combined Tablet and Phone UI's into one set of code (4.0.x). Jellybean 4.1.x introduced Google Now, Project Butter and a slew of awesome sauce features, while Jelly Bean 4.2.2 has primarily been bug fixes and bringing long asked for features, such as lock screen widgets, better inter-app integration, settings quick keys, etc. In general, the higher the number the better The differences between GB, ICS and JB are immense, in my opinion.
    Thanked by:
    Jonneh and Golfdriver97 like this.

ROM
    CM7.2.0-RC0 Galaxy5 Port

I used a lot of time a CyanogenMod version of Gingerbread (2.3.7) and only for little time Jellybean stock (4.1.1 and then 4.1.2) - just because I bought my Nexus 7 tablet just 2 weeks ago..
    I never thought of Gingerbread something like "Oh, what a Sh***y OS!" and I always find very comfortable with it.. but it's obvious that a young platform like Android needs at least some time to find the way to follow: so imo Jellybean is much better of its predecessor.. better look, better integration apps/OS - due to a better knowledge of the code. and so on..

But on my old Samsung Corby Cyanogen still works very very good and it always will!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Jelly Bean. Not even close IMO.
    Darth Spock likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

jelly Bean obviously
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar likes this.

I know this sounds crazy but I don't like the fact that there isn't an option to insert a smiley in gtalk on jellybean and ics. I dont have all the smileys memorized.
    via Samsung Epic Touch

Get any of them that are stable, run fluid on your phone and install a launcher. With a good launcher you can tweak Gingerbread to be just as good as Jelly Bean. I'm still running GB and I have folders on my home screen, tabs in app drawer and widgets on my lock screen, just like JB.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

But I guarantee u c the difference in speeds next to a jb phone though

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2
    Walkop and Darth Spock like this.

Global Posts
    7,051 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Until may jb will be the best mobile os in the universe. Then klp will be. Suggest jb or klp on any purchase consideration.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Walkop likes this.

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

In the thousands of posts I've read, it's apparent to me that the best Android version is the one that your device hasn't been updated to yet.
    HTC Inspire 4G - retired
    HTC One X+ (HOX+)
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    But I guarantee u c the difference in speeds next to a jb phone though
    Yeah, mine's a lot faster and smoother. And battery life is much, much better.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

out of the box its gotta be JB. But I agree with Jon_Doh that JB can be emulated quite well with third party launchers and tweaking.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

I prefer dedicated buttons on the device, so Gingerbread. HC/ICS/JB design language is designed for on-screen buttons and is a PITA the use on a larger phone (4.5"+ specifically) one handed as some elements are put in the most insane places on the screen - like the menu button in most apps in the top right and the tab button in browsers on the top right. I prefer Microsoft's way of putting that stuff on the bottom of the screen, and only if the app needs it. It makes more sense. Apps designed for ICS (using that design language) look better than FroYo/GB apps, but they have generally been a usability nightmare for me.

Also devices with ICS+ generally integrate less services, and much worse than most of the FroYo/GB devices I've owned.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Doh View Post
    I would bet my paycheck that your phone is NOT faster or smoother than a Sgs3 note2 or even my Gnex.

Actually it is. I've compared it to the SG3 and HTC One S. Can't say about the others you mention. But it is much smoother and faster than the two I mention.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Actually it is. I've compared it to the SG3 and HTC One S. Can't say about the others you mention. But it is much smoother and faster than the two I mention.
    Hahahaha yeah OK buddy its no way possible GB is faster than jb

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Switching from ICS to 4.1 my battery life stinks. Same apps running went from lasting 12 hrs to 8hrs

do u no when tmobile is getting the 4.2 update?

Quote Originally Posted by li2327 View Post
    ... I don't like the fact that there isn't an option to insert a smiley in gtalk on jellybean and ics. I dont have all the smileys memorized.
    In gtalk on Jellybean (and ICS) the default Android keyboard has a smiley key bottom right.

I think out-of-the-box JB has to be the better OS. I particularly like the swipe input on the default Android keyboard with JB.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    1,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

JB 4.2.2
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

I think this is a no Brain-er of course the answer is JellyBean.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Great art stretches the taste, it doesnt follow tastes
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.

New used to be better. Having used pc's for 30 years I was quite used to upgrading to the latest, and better, version.

With Android I've painfully discovered that the latest version is very often NOT an improvement. It can take away features that were previously useful, adds features that are not and bloat the product.

Personally I am disappointed with Jelly Bean (over Gingerbread) because it seems to have copied iOS in it's way of navigating around, which I find less than intuitive and frustrating at times.

And why is the trash can (delete) at the top of the screen now??

I can't believe the number of people saying Gingerbread! I thought Gingerbread was terrible. I disliked it so much I stopped using Android. I have never used Jelly Bean, so I can't comment on that, but stability and usability wise, ICS is leaps and bounds better than Gingerbread, and I think it looks much better to boot (though looks is subjective).

Global Posts
    7,051 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I can't believe the number of people saying Gingerbread! I thought Gingerbread was terrible. I disliked it so much I stopped using Android. I have never used Jelly Bean, so I can't comment on that, but stability and usability wise, ICS is leaps and bounds better than Gingerbread, and I think it looks much better to boot (though looks is subjective).
    There are are only two situations (both related) in which I could understand someone mistaking GB for being better than ICS or JB.
    1. They had a GB device that was upgraded and had resulting stability or bug issues on an Android based device, such as a Touchwiz or Sense device.
    2. They've never used stock versions of both. Touchwiz, Sense and other Android based devices having issues shortly following upgrades to software is really common.

Keep in mind this thread started with the silly sentiment, "Although, there is no difference between any OS of Android, but I still have a doubt which OS is better from their functionalities and features?"

There are huge and obvious differences between 4.2.1 and 4.2.2, let alone 4.1.x, 4.0.x and 2.3.x. both in terms of features and functionality, as well as design, efficiency and usability. If there were no differences, there'd be no reason for incrementing the release. Likewise, if the changes weren't immense, even on Android based devices, no one would have been annoyed that HTC released the One on 4.1 instead of 4.2.2.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast