HTC One, GS4 or Nexus 4?

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this is the right section, so mods please move if necessary. This will be my first android device (comning from iPhone 5). These 3 things are the most important to me:

Screen resolution: I would like something that's as crisp and vivid as my current iPhone 5 display (size doesnt matter as much) It looks like the One will have the best display out of the three.

Customizablity: I would like to customize my phone with themes using launchers, icons etc... And which phone would be the best for customizing, or if they're all about the same level.

Camera: I take many photos, and I would like something that has a camera that's at least as good as the iPhone 5's

And also updates, I don't like waiting for updates, and would like to receive android updates for at least the next two years. All of these will support key lime pie right?

Hopefully someone can recommend me a phone based on these 3 things.

Thanks!

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this is the right section, so mods please move if necessary. This will be my first android device (comning from iPhone 5). These 3 things are the most important to me:

Screen resolution: I would like something that's as crisp and vivid as my current iPhone 5 display (size doesnt matter as much) It looks like the One will have the best display out of the three.

Customizablity: I would like to customize my phone with themes using launchers, icons etc... And which phone would be the best for customizing, or if they're all about the same level.

Camera: I take many photos, and I would like something that has a camera that's at least as good as the iPhone 5's

And also updates, I don't like waiting for updates, and would like to receive android updates for at least the next two years. All of these will support key lime pie right?

Thanks!

The Nexus 4 has pure Android and is unlocked. It will be the first to get OTA updates. That said the camera isn't the best, but gets the job done. Of course the HTC One and SGS4 will have better specs, but slower updates, locked and bloatware. It's a trade off.

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Is there a difference between the pure android and Sense or touch wiz when I install a launcher like Nova or Golauncher?

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Is there a difference between the pure android and Sense or touch wiz when I install a launcher like Nova or Golauncher?

If you install a launcher it will replace Sense and its features. Sense is not permanently gone, just disabled and you can bring it back at any time. But to answer your question, yes a launcher will look and behave differently than Sense.

Of the three phones you've mentioned I really like the HTC One. It has really great specs. Go to the front page and read some of the articles Phil has put up as well as his videos on this phone. He has one and has been testing it.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If the GS4 has that studpid home button then go with the Nexus 4. I have grown to hate the button personally but its all based on choice. Plus with the N4 you get updates a lot quicker!

anon(226560)

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
As far as screen resolution goes the Nexus 4 has a slightly lower pixel density than iPhone 5 (318ppi vs 326ppi) so not a big difference but the One has 469ppi which is notable. I can bet the GS4 will be around or on par with the One.

All 3 phones can be customized and are/will be popular with the dev community should you want more options via ROMs.

Camera wise the Nexus isn't anything to write about, the One has received mixed reviews but for sure is awful if you ever need to enlarge your photos because of it's mere 4 megapixels. Will have to wait for tomorrow to know about the SG4.

Updates are most reliable (long term) and speedy on the Nexus 4 by a wide margin but yes Key Lime will be in all 3 for sure.

I would say Nexus 4 but just because updates are more important to me than most other features.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The screen resolution, as the rumored said, the GS 4 will feature 1080p resolution while both Nexus 4 and HTC One come with 720p.
For the camera, HTC One take a 4UP UltraPixel rear camera which is just awesome.
But for Android system latest updates, Nexus 4 is always the priority.

To decide which one is what you want, you may at first ask yourself what features you want most.

HTC One has a 1080p screen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone I'd have recommended the One or the N4. The only 2 benefits of the Nexus over the One are: immediate updates and it's currently available. The One is a monster powerhouse with a better camera and what appears to be terrific build quality (something you should be used to from the iPhone front). That said, I have the Nexus, and I absolutely adore it, but then again, I bought it in December and the One hadn't been annouced yet, and no high-end phone would match the Nexus's price point.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Thanks!
Nexus 4 is your best choice I have one and its so easy to root/hack/mod/flash custom ROM
Coming from an iPhone I cannot tell you how much I appreciate getting Android updates instantaneously

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone I'd have recommended the One or the N4. The only 2 benefits of the Nexus over the One are: immediate updates and it's currently available. The One is a monster powerhouse with a better camera and what appears to be terrific build quality (something you should be used to from the iPhone front). That said, I have the Nexus, and I absolutely adore it, but then again, I bought it in December and the One hadn't been annouced yet, and no high-end phone would match the Nexus's price point.
You've had an iPhone? thgen you should know that the Nexus 4 has better build quality then the 4/4S/5 simply because it is curved and has rubber edges.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
No I really think the Nexus 4 has better build feel then the iPhone 4/4S

I massively disagree. It's nice to know a former iPhone users thinks so, but I really disagree. Not that it's all that important or serious, but depending where i squeeze my phone I can hear creaks, most coming from the bottom area glass & sides. Those metal & glass iPhones are something else! I've always admired them. You owned one, so your experience may be different, but I've held enough 4S's & 5's that I think they're terrific. Admittedly, though, I've not combed over any iPhone as thoroughly as I've inspected my Nexus.

But just the other day I removed the Rearth hard rear cover of my Nexus and discovered part of the plastic side had a gap between the side of my phone and the chrome bezel that I then had to snap back together. I just don't think you would see a flaw like that on a metal device like the iPhone 5. I love the phone, and I prefer it build quality wise to many other phones, but personally I just don't think there's a phone that feels as elegant and as well built as an iP5 (now, I'm not saying durable, I'm say how it looks and feels).

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I massively disagree. It's nice to know a former iPhone users thinks so, but I really disagree. Not that it's all that important or serious, but depending where i squeeze my phone I can hear creaks, most coming from the bottom area glass & sides. Those metal & glass iPhones are something else! I've always admired them. You owned one, so your experience may be different, but I've held enough 4S's & 5's that I think they're terrific. Admittedly, though, I've not combed over any iPhone as thoroughly as I've inspected my Nexus.

But just the other day I removed the Rearth hard rear cover of my Nexus and discovered part of the plastic side had a gap between the side of my phone and the chrome bezel that I then had to snap back together. I just don't think you would see a flaw like that on a metal device like the iPhone 5. I love the phone, and I prefer it build quality wise to many other phones, but personally I just don't think there's a phone that feels as elegant and as well built as an iP5 (now, I'm not saying durable, I'm say how it looks and feels).

Oh that creaking issue OMG yes I forgot about that you are right the metal and glass is better, although he Nexus 4 does not compare to the iPhone 5( Still carry the iPhone 5 because too much in Apple's eco-system)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh that creaking issue OMG yes I forgot about that you are right the metal and glass is better, although he Nexus 4 does not compare to the iPhone 5( Still carry the iPhone 5 because too much in Apple's eco-system)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

You gave some good info here. And many others have given some good info and advice.

One thing you did not mention was storage space. The Nexus is limited to 16GB with no expansion. The One is 32/64 not sure about micro sd card slot but probably not. We will know about the S4 tomorrow but probably 16GB and micro sd card slot.

Not sure if it matters to you but it is worthy of consideration. I have a Note 2 with 64GB card and Nexus 4 which I use 3 cloud accounts with. While I can survive with the cloud I prefer local storage. The One is looking strong in all categories! I am personally a Samsung fan and hope to hold out for the note 3. It won't be easy with this new group of devices hitting the scene.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34