Can I root my Samsung galaxy S2 T989 phone if the SD card slot is not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutevalley26

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My phone is currently rooted and working perfectly but due to (I assume water damage) the Micro SD card slot does not work. I would really like to update the software from ICS to Jellybean. I know I would lose the root after the update but just wondering if there is any way I can re-root my Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 phone after the Jellybean update- without needing a micro-sd card? Thanks.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I believe you can root, because that is done probably using Odin like most Samsung devices... How far you can get is the question depending on how they are achieving root access with Odin. If they are flashing a custom recovery first, then having you boot into your custom recovery to apply the Super User (apk) which achieves root then you have a problem because the Super User apk is held on your SDCARD.

You would have to review the exact way root is achieved exactly... That SDCARD is important with rooting/hacking for flashing key things..

Good luck.

cutevalley26

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
This is the process that was used to root the phone.

1. First we will enter in "Download Mode". Hold down the volume up, volume down, and power button all at the same time. When you feel vibration let go of the power button, but keep holding on to the volume up and down button.

2. When you see a yellow warning triangle you can let go of all the buttons and press the volume up button to continue into "Download Mode"

3. Set your phone aside

4. Download and extract the root files here:
-->

Galaxy S2 Root T989.zip
-->

5. Run the program called: odin3 v1.85.exe

6. Make sure only reboot is checked mark (located under the yellow bar)

7. Click on PDA and find the file named: recovery-cmw-hercules.tar

8. Click start and wait until your phone finished rebooting

9. Congratulation you just got Clock Work Mod Recovery installed on your phone, but were not done

10. Transfer the file: CWM-SuperSU-v0.87.zip to your phone's external SD card

11. Unplug your phone from your computer

12. Hold down the volume up, volume down, and power button all at the same time. When you feel a vibration let go of the power button, but keep holding onto the volume up and down button.

13. Navigate to "install zip from SD card" using the volume up and down buttons and power button to select

14. Select "choose zip from SD card"

15. Find the file named: CWM-SuperSU-v0.87.zip select it and choose yes

16. When it is finished select reboot

The interesting is although the phone is not reading the SD card ( I cant access it as the files are not readable), my phone still has root, I can still use apps that were installed on the SD card, super user etc.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the process is as I figured....

Odin is used to place the custom recovery on the device. Then you boot into CWM to flash your Super user access (root).

Yeah.. I'm not sure what to do here without a working SDCARD to place your Superuser.apk on to flash which gives you root.

You can't download/install Superuser from the PlayStore and install it that way because root is installed on the /system/ partition.

Maybe someone a smarter than me can help but I think without the SDCARD and the way Samsung is setup to root, etc.. you need that SDCARD.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I believe you can root, because that is done probably using Odin like most Samsung devices... How far you can get is the question depending on how they are achieving root access with Odin. If they are flashing a custom recovery first, then having you boot into your custom recovery to apply the Super User (apk) which achieves root then you have a problem because the Super User apk is held on your SDCARD.

You would have to review the exact way root is achieved exactly... That SDCARD is important with rooting/hacking for flashing key things..

Good luck.

The SDCARD is the internal storage partition with about 12GB available? Mine shows up as Internal Storage instead of SDCARD as a separate entry alongside the original Internal Storage space for Apps/Games after updating to 4.1.2 via Kies, even so after root and flashing an AOSP-based custom ROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech