Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Walkop
  • 3 Post By r60slash2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Preventing unwanted Update

How can I prevent the update to Jelly Bean? I have rooted the phone. Is that the only thing I need to do to enable me to access the file structure, locate the download, delete it, and stop the 12 hour reminder? Where in the structure would the download reside and where would I find the reminder to disable or delete it? Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Preventing unwanted Update

What phone are you using? Before answering your question, if I can, I'd just like to know why you aren't upgrading and if possible clear up any misconceptions regarding the OS.

I've seen nothing but improvements with Jelly Bean. LOVE the smoothness.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Free

Global Posts
    31,351 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by r60slash2 View Post
    How can I prevent the update to Jelly Bean? I have rooted the phone. Is that the only thing I need to do to enable me to access the file structure, locate the download, delete it, and stop the 12 hour reminder? Where in the structure would the download reside and where would I find the reminder to disable or delete it? Thank you for your help.
    I am inclined to agree with Walkop. As far as I know, there really isn't a way to stop the reminder. The fact that you have rooted most likely stops the update from happening anyway.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I have a Motorola Razr XT912. I'm old school. I believe I purchased the device, therefore, I get to control the interface. I don't want some programmer to decide how pictures get displayed, what color scheme, etc...I know the current move is to have everything interface with every possible social media experiment out there, but that is not me. I don't live through my phone. I originally accepted and loaded Jelly Bean and hated it. I made Verizon send me a replacement phone to get rid of it. So I am happy with what I have and don't want to change. Does that help? Thanks for for your response and possible future help. Oh, by the way my son of loves it also. I think it's a generational thing. Old and stuck in my ways.

Sounds fair to me! :-) I'm just one of those who roots and installs custom ROMs just to be able to get access to the latest Android experience, so I obviously have a different viewpoint than you. (I don't use custom ROMs for this anymore, as I have a Galaxy Nexus and am switching to the Nexus 10 for my tablet needs). I love the new Holo design scheme, all the new app designs are much more intuitive to use (IMO). I can see why your son probably likes it. EDIT: I just forgot that you're probably on Ice Cream Sandwich, not Gingerbread. Is that the case?

As for your problem, I think that is solvable. Does the notification ask you to download the update, or install it? If its asking you to install, it pre-downloaded and is stored somewhere in the main device directory. Deleting that file SHOULD disable the notification as well; I think that notification is based on what it detects in that dedicated folder. However, that wouldn't stop it from re-downloading the update - you might be able to use your file manager to set deny ALL write permissions to that folder, if its a root-capable file manager.

If I may, I'm still curious about your reasons for not wanting to upgrade to Jelly Bean. What do you mean about 'programmers' deciding how pictures are displayed, color schemes, etc? As for interfacing with Social media- you can disable the Google+ app, as well as any other system apps, completely. They never run in any way whatsoever (that's a feature introduced in Ice Cream Sandwich). Unless, of course, you're talking about sharing being integrated with social media - in which case, that is Intents, and that has been a part of Android since...a long time.

Sorry if I'm not making sense, I'm just slightly confused. Thanks for your time!

I'd just like to know why you aren't upgrading and if possible clear up any misconceptions regarding the OS.

The update is more than just cosmetic changes, moving up to Jellybean will add a ton of functionality and much improved performance.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks everybody. Sorry for the delay in responding. I mentioned I'm old school. I guess by that I mean I'm like sixty. I've been in electronics and computers since the first Radio Shack Trash 80. I am not a novice, just very set in my ways. I tried this update but it was just the little stuff that really bothered me. I expect to be able to adjust the interface to suit me. If I want my pictures to line up oldest to newest, top to bottom, left to right, I want to be able to do it. I don't like someone deciding that for me. I expect to have the option to make those changes. That's just an easy example. Too many things changed and I didn't like being relegated to except those changes. This make any sense? I was happy with ICS and was very unhappy when told I couldn't go back, so I made them give me a different phone or lose a customer. Like I said, I'm not into social media, if I wan't to share something I go talk to the person. I don't need to sync all my photos or music or whatever on every device I own so a lot of this functionality I don't need. I like the ability to get my email, I finally broke down and started texting, some of the apps are convenient, but overall I'm an old guy with a fancy phone that does more than I probably need. If Blackberry hadn't produced a couple lousy phones and had the rest of their troubles I would probably still be with them. I do appreciate everyones concern. I really just want to find and kill this upadate though.

There are some big "issues" w/ the new OS, depending on who you are. I updated to JB, and now I cant correctly use my "profiles" apps anymore. That's actually a big deal for me. I've made a couple "complaint posts" on the topic, but the sad news is Google is too big to care about things like my concern. They do add some nice things, but they keep messing up other (more important) things. BUT - we the consumer don't really have a choice. I mean, we can choose Android or iOS (or technically also Windows or BB, etc.) but other than that we just have to thank them, and ask them if we can have another.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Ain't that the truth!

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock Sense 6

Quote Originally Posted by r60slash2 View Post
    Thanks everybody. Sorry for the delay in responding. I mentioned I'm old school. I guess by that I mean I'm like sixty. I've been in electronics and computers since the first Radio Shack Trash 80. I am not a novice, just very set in my ways. I tried this update but it was just the little stuff that really bothered me. I expect to be able to adjust the interface to suit me. If I want my pictures to line up oldest to newest, top to bottom, left to right, I want to be able to do it. I don't like someone deciding that for me. I expect to have the option to make those changes. That's just an easy example. Too many things changed and I didn't like being relegated to except those changes. This make any sense? I was happy with ICS and was very unhappy when told I couldn't go back, so I made them give me a different phone or lose a customer. Like I said, I'm not into social media, if I wan't to share something I go talk to the person. I don't need to sync all my photos or music or whatever on every device I own so a lot of this functionality I don't need. I like the ability to get my email, I finally broke down and started texting, some of the apps are convenient, but overall I'm an old guy with a fancy phone that does more than I probably need. If Blackberry hadn't produced a couple lousy phones and had the rest of their troubles I would probably still be with them. I do appreciate everyones concern. I really just want to find and kill this upadate though.
    Since your device has root privileges, perhaps you can try force-stopping the app that sends out the notifications? (A program usually called "OTAUpdater" is the main culprit.) You can also delete the apk within /system/app if you have a capable file browser which is root-capable.

Also, regarding this issue with being "able to adjust the interface to suit me", that depends on the OEM that designed your phone. If you don't like how android looks on your phone (in your case, the motoblur skin that Motorola uses on their android handsets), you can always look for AOSP-based ROMs for your device which has the basic stock-vanilla android experience, none of that OEM crap.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thanks for both pieces of information. I will look for those elements. I also like the idea of a different ROM. They really hide this thing pretty well. I have looked with root explorer in almost every directory to no avail. Thanks for all the help.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Do you know which apk is involved. I could not not find OTAUpdater. This is driving me crazy. I wish I could search by date cause the file names are an enigma.