Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FraserS4
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is there a limit on the number of SMS messages the S4 can hold ?

    Hi

    I've been an iPhone user for the past 4 years or so and decided to switch over to a Samsung Galaxy S4. So far, I'm happy with the move to the droid world! The transfer from iPhone to S4 was pretty smooth thanks to Exchange 2010 which holds my email, contacts and calendar appointments.

    I have a small problem with text messages on my new S4 however. The SMS apps is very very laggy and sometimes unresponsive. I expect this is due because I have too many text messages on my my S4 - Is there a limit? I used a program called Backuptrans ( to transfer over my SMS messages to my S4. Text messages are very important to me and I must keep them. Backuptrans imported just under 70,000. My iPhone handled all my messages no problem. Is there anyway way I can improve the SMS app's performance without archiving/deleting my text messages.

    My device has not been rooted, but I plan to do this soon (if it's possible)
    Software version is 4.2.2
    Also, I should note, I have disabled "Delete Old Messages" in the settings for the SMS app.


    One quick question... is there any way I can turn off the text message preview on the lock screen, but leave the senders name so I can see who the message is from, but the phone must been unlocked before any of the message text is displayed?




    Thanks
    Fraser
    dnewton99 likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Is there a limit on the number of SMS messages the S4 can hold ?

    to answer some of your Question in the Text messaging settings there is a Notification setting called Preview message it shows on the status bar and lock screen just click it to show all the time as for your text message size 7000 texts is a lot of space to use on a phones memory I would suggest a larger memory card like 32gb, The Iphone had text limitations too I just left my Iphone 5 for SG4 too. I love the phone!! Apple has a lot of catching up to do and by the looks of it it might be years before they do. Mind you I have a Mac and iPad the phone never really was any good especially with IOS6 issues.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Is there a limit on the number of SMS messages the S4 can hold ?

    Thank you Karl - I must have missed that. I knew I could turn off the notification all together but didn't see the preview setting.

    I have a iPad too so my iPhone's main uses were really calls, texts, social networking, email and the odd bit of Web browsing. So far I'm happy with S4 however just like most things, there are pros and cons....

    How do I move my text messages over onto the memory card?

    Thanks again,
    Fraser.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Is there a limit on the number of SMS messages the S4 can hold ?

    Hi Fraser

    Did you have any luck getting this resolved.

    U have the exact same issue as I transferred over 40,000 sms messages to my S4 using backup trans and now when i try to send a text message it freezes.

    THX

    James
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Is there a limit on the number of SMS messages the S4 can hold ?

    Hi, there is a notification setting option in that you can go there and can resolve your problem.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Is there a limit on the number of SMS messages the S4 can hold ?

    Quote Originally Posted by laurajones123 View Post
    Hi, there is a notification setting option in that you can go there and can resolve your problem.
    Please be more specific.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Is there a limit on the number of SMS messages the S4 can hold ?

    Quote Originally Posted by FraserS4 View Post
    Hi

    I've been an iPhone user for the past 4 years or so and decided to switch over to a Samsung Galaxy S4. So far, I'm happy with the move to the droid world! The transfer from iPhone to S4 was pretty smooth thanks to Exchange 2010 which holds my email, contacts and calendar appointments.

    I have a small problem with text messages on my new S4 however. The SMS apps is very very laggy and sometimes unresponsive. I expect this is due because I have too many text messages on my my S4 - Is there a limit? I used a program called Backuptrans ( to transfer over my SMS messages to my S4. Text messages are very important to me and I must keep them. Backuptrans imported just under 70,000. My iPhone handled all my messages no problem. Is there anyway way I can improve the SMS app's performance without archiving/deleting my text messages.

    My device has not been rooted, but I plan to do this soon (if it's possible)
    Software version is 4.2.2
    Also, I should note, I have disabled "Delete Old Messages" in the settings for the SMS app.


    One quick question... is there any way I can turn off the text message preview on the lock screen, but leave the senders name so I can see who the message is from, but the phone must been unlocked before any of the message text is displayed?




    Thanks
    Fraser
    I save a lot of messages. I use Go SMS Pro as my texting app. If you have a dropbox account you can connect dropbox to Go SMS Pro by installing Go SMS Pro dropbox backup and back up messages to dropbox. It is also very easy to restore messages from dropbox.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR M
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Is there a limit on the number of SMS messages the S4 can hold ?

    Same exact issue. I had huge amount of old text messages and copied them from iPhone 4 to Samsung. Worked okay but continually caused my message app to freeze (stock app). Tried handcent etc - but only thing that worked was deleting them all again. I want my old text messages, I keep them for business interactions etc They are mostly text so it is soooo frustrating.

    Same issue too with very laggy unresponsive messaging program

    I am reasonably techie and have had S4 for 90 days and spent a zillion hours working on issues and things I can't do that I could do with my iphone. Example: Make all contacts vibrate for a text message except one particular contact would always be silent. Easy on iphone - can't find an app that really works like this. And about 10 other things I need to get working. Argg.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Is there a limit on the number of SMS messages the S4 can hold ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brennan View Post
    to answer some of your Question in the Text messaging settings there is a Notification setting called Preview message it shows on the status bar and lock screen just click it to show all the time as for your text message size 7000 texts is a lot of space to use on a phones memory I would suggest a larger memory card like 32gb, The Iphone had text limitations too I just left my Iphone 5 for SG4 too. I love the phone!! Apple has a lot of catching up to do and by the looks of it it might be years before they do. Mind you I have a Mac and iPad the phone never really was any good especially with IOS6 issues.
    Dude, SMSes take up almost no space. I backed up something like 4000+ texts and they take up some megs.
    How can you "recommend" such stuff which you obviously have no clue about?!
    Also, what text issues did you have on the iCrap (yes, I hate Apple with a passion, but I will not deny their merits)? All I see on the web are people having tens of thousands of texts on iPhones and freezing (often high-end) Androids when those texts were transferred over. Given all that, I must call bull$hit on your claim.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 03:14 PM
  2. Is there a limit to the number of characters allowed in a Q?
    By buttonstc in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 04:12 PM
  3. Is there a limit on how many Evos you can buy?
    By delta1#ac in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 02:25 PM
  4. Is there any way to get rid of the alarm clock icon?
    By kalldrexx in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 03:52 PM
  5. Is there a limit to Apps on the Droid?
    By AAFD in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 03:50 AM

Posting Permissions

B