Is there a limit on the number of SMS messages the S4 can hold ?

FraserS4

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I've been an iPhone user for the past 4 years or so and decided to switch over to a Samsung Galaxy S4. So far, I'm happy with the move to the droid world! The transfer from iPhone to S4 was pretty smooth thanks to Exchange 2010 which holds my email, contacts and calendar appointments.

I have a small problem with text messages on my new S4 however. The SMS apps is very very laggy and sometimes unresponsive. I expect this is due because I have too many text messages on my my S4 - Is there a limit? I used a program called Backuptrans (link to transfer over my SMS messages to my S4. Text messages are very important to me and I must keep them. Backuptrans imported just under 70,000. My iPhone handled all my messages no problem. Is there anyway way I can improve the SMS app's performance without archiving/deleting my text messages.

My device has not been rooted, but I plan to do this soon (if it's possible)
Software version is 4.2.2
Also, I should note, I have disabled "Delete Old Messages" in the settings for the SMS app.

One quick question... is there any way I can turn off the text message preview on the lock screen, but leave the senders name so I can see who the message is from, but the phone must been unlocked before any of the message text is displayed?

Thanks
Fraser

Karl Brennan

May 5, 2013
Visit site
to answer some of your Question in the Text messaging settings there is a Notification setting called Preview message it shows on the status bar and lock screen just click it to show all the time as for your text message size 7000 texts is a lot of space to use on a phones memory I would suggest a larger memory card like 32gb, The Iphone had text limitations too I just left my Iphone 5 for SG4 too. I love the phone!! Apple has a lot of catching up to do and by the looks of it it might be years before they do. Mind you I have a Mac and iPad the phone never really was any good especially with IOS6 issues.

FraserS4

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Karl - I must have missed that. I knew I could turn off the notification all together but didn't see the preview setting.

I have a iPad too so my iPhone's main uses were really calls, texts, social networking, email and the odd bit of Web browsing. So far I'm happy with S4 however just like most things, there are pros and cons....

How do I move my text messages over onto the memory card?

Thanks again,
Fraser.

James Stortz

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi Fraser

Did you have any luck getting this resolved.

U have the exact same issue as I transferred over 40,000 sms messages to my S4 using backup trans and now when i try to send a text message it freezes.

THX

James

dylanrod24

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I've been an iPhone user for the past 4 years or so and decided to switch over to a Samsung Galaxy S4. So far, I'm happy with the move to the droid world! The transfer from iPhone to S4 was pretty smooth thanks to Exchange 2010 which holds my email, contacts and calendar appointments.

I have a small problem with text messages on my new S4 however. The SMS apps is very very laggy and sometimes unresponsive. I expect this is due because I have too many text messages on my my S4 - Is there a limit? I used a program called Backuptrans (link to transfer over my SMS messages to my S4. Text messages are very important to me and I must keep them. Backuptrans imported just under 70,000. My iPhone handled all my messages no problem. Is there anyway way I can improve the SMS app's performance without archiving/deleting my text messages.

My device has not been rooted, but I plan to do this soon (if it's possible)
Software version is 4.2.2
Also, I should note, I have disabled "Delete Old Messages" in the settings for the SMS app.

One quick question... is there any way I can turn off the text message preview on the lock screen, but leave the senders name so I can see who the message is from, but the phone must been unlocked before any of the message text is displayed?

Thanks
Fraser

I save a lot of messages. I use Go SMS Pro as my texting app. If you have a dropbox account you can connect dropbox to Go SMS Pro by installing Go SMS Pro dropbox backup and back up messages to dropbox. It is also very easy to restore messages from dropbox.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M

dnewton99

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Same exact issue. I had huge amount of old text messages and copied them from iPhone 4 to Samsung. Worked okay but continually caused my message app to freeze (stock app). Tried handcent etc - but only thing that worked was deleting them all again. I want my old text messages, I keep them for business interactions etc They are mostly text so it is soooo frustrating.

Same issue too with very laggy unresponsive messaging program

I am reasonably techie and have had S4 for 90 days and spent a zillion hours working on issues and things I can't do that I could do with my iphone. Example: Make all contacts vibrate for a text message except one particular contact would always be silent. Easy on iphone - can't find an app that really works like this. And about 10 other things I need to get working. Argg.

Cinderella RT

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
to answer some of your Question in the Text messaging settings there is a Notification setting called Preview message it shows on the status bar and lock screen just click it to show all the time as for your text message size 7000 texts is a lot of space to use on a phones memory I would suggest a larger memory card like 32gb, The Iphone had text limitations too I just left my Iphone 5 for SG4 too. I love the phone!! Apple has a lot of catching up to do and by the looks of it it might be years before they do. Mind you I have a Mac and iPad the phone never really was any good especially with IOS6 issues.

Dude, SMSes take up almost no space. I backed up something like 4000+ texts and they take up some megs.
How can you "recommend" such stuff which you obviously have no clue about?!
Also, what text issues did you have on the iCrap (yes, I hate Apple with a passion, but I will not deny their merits)? All I see on the web are people having tens of thousands of texts on iPhones and freezing (often high-end) Androids when those texts were transferred over. Given all that, I must call bull$hit on your claim.

hunizchaz

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi Fraser, Just wondering if you are talking about the samsung s4 or samsung s4 mini? I am currently looking for a phone that holds lots of text messages too, not as many as you though, around 10,000 or so would do. I am having such trouble finding a phone which are able to hold more than a measely few hundred! High internal memory does not always mean it can hold loads of texts, as it depends if the company that makes the phone just reserves only a small amount of the internal memory for texts.

I also like to hold a few notes/memos on my phone too.

Do you have any suggestion on what maybe a good phone to get? My budget is only around £100, so the samsung s4 is looking a bit pricey.... not too worried if you have suggestions that are not smart phones, as I quite like the old phones.

Any help would be greatly received! thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995