Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Charging Samsung Galaxy S4

I just got my S4 last sunday and I am having a problem during charging while tethering. It consumes the battery rather than charging it even while the charging sign is on. Does anyone encountered this same problem?

I keep hearing that I will RUIN my new Galaxy S4 if I use a Blackberry charger over time. So is this true? Do I need to buy OEM Samsung chargers?
    Last edited by Nathan H43; 06-12-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: typo

Hehe stupid Kid if u r getting full charge at hour then it means you r not getting a solid charge Lol u think that this is the best for your phone ..Samsung tested their phones s3 and s4 ...S3 takes 2.3 Hours to get full solid charge and s4 takes 2.5 hours to get solid charge if u getting ur phone full charge at one hour then your battery will drain like hell Simpple is that your have not a solid charge.... Try clean your usb contacts and then charge with it... if it charges 1 percent per 3.5 minutes then u will be ok...

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by Farhan Ahmed1 View Post
    Hehe stupid Kid if u r getting full charge at hour then it means you r not getting a solid charge Lol u think that this is the best for your phone ..Samsung tested their phones s3 and s4 ...S3 takes 2.3 Hours to get full solid charge and s4 takes 2.5 hours to get solid charge if u getting ur phone full charge at one hour then your battery will drain like hell Simpple is that your have not a solid charge.... Try clean your usb contacts and then charge with it... if it charges 1 percent per 3.5 minutes then u will be ok...
    You don't have to insult him, he came here looking for help. You could have just told him how to fix it, instead of being arrogant about it.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

I have the same issue with my S4, but I use my S2X cable and charger. I have found that the issue was actually the cable and not the brick itself. The little brick is 2.0A but the USB is slow even on the S2X. I just bought a microUSB cable to replace it and boom! it charges quickly like it's supposed to.

Nope! As long as the voltage and amp. are the same or below, it shouldn't matter. However, if it's above the OEM charger's, it's possible that it could overheat your phone and charging port which in long term use could result in damage.

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsjustin View Post
    Nope! As long as the voltage and amp. are the same or below, it shouldn't matter. However, if it's above the OEM charger's, it's possible that it could overheat your phone and charging port which in long term use could result in damage.
    It's OK if the current rating is higher than what your phone can use or old charger can provide. The phone won't pull more current than it's capable of handling.

You also don't want the voltage to be below. You want it to be the same. Considering that most all smartphones use USB for charging you won't have to worry about the voltage. If it's USB it's either 5V or counterfeit. There are no legitimate USB chargers that give anything except 5V. You'd have to buy your charger from a non-trusted source and it's pretty much universally recommended to get your charger from someplace you trust and to buy a brand you know or have researched.

FWIW, what actually happens is there's a circuit in your phone that takes the 5V from the USB, converts it to ~4.2V that the battery uses and then manages how the battery is charged to ensure it's charged safely. That circuit determines how much current is being drawn, not the charger.

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    It's OK if the current rating is higher than what your phone can use or old charger can provide. The phone won't pull more current than it's capable of handling.

You also don't want the voltage to be below. You want it to be the same. Considering that most all smartphones use USB for charging you won't have to worry about the voltage. If it's USB it's either 5V or counterfeit. There are no legitimate USB chargers that give anything except 5V. You'd have to buy your charger from a non-trusted source and it's pretty much universally recommended to get your charger from someplace you trust and to buy a brand you know or have researched.

FWIW, what actually happens is there's a circuit in your phone that takes the 5V from the USB, converts it to ~4.2V that the battery uses and then manages how the battery is charged to ensure it's charged safely. That circuit determines how much current is being drawn, not the charger.
    Garublador is absolutely correct in what he wrote. Adding to what he wrote, batteries charge in a non-linear way. This makes comparisons between chargers based on "how long it takes to increase the battery's charge level by 1%" unreliable. The only way to reliably compare two chargers is to start charging the battery from the same state of charge. If you start at 50% full, and charge the battery with Charger-A... and it takes 10 minutes to increase the charge to 55% full, then you will need to discharge the battery back to 50% full before you try to compare Charger-B.

Here's an example of how a battery charges: Assuming that it takes 30 minutes (the 30 minutes is an assumption here to make my example simple to understand) to charge your phone from completely dead (which should never happen due to the way the phone's battery management system works, but let's just say it was completely dead) to 63% full, it will take another 30 minutes to charge it to 86% full. Notice that in the same 30 minutes, the battery's charge level only increased 23%, instead of the 63% that it increased in the first 30 minute period. After a third 30 minute period (each period in a battery's charging cycle is known as a "time constant"), the battery will be approximately 95% full. Then, after a fourth time constant, it will be 98% full. Finally, after a fifth time constant, it will be just below 100% full, and is considered fully charged. It takes five time constants to charge a battery to what is considered "full".
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12