Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Charging Samsung Galaxy S4

I have a new S4. It came with a 2.1Amp charger. However, I find it extremely slow on charging the handset to 100%. It can take up to an hour, and goes the same for charging via my laptop. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thx.

Default Re: Charging Samsung Galaxy S4

It can take up to an hour to full charge at about what starting percentage? That sounds pretty good.

Remember, charging from your computer will be slower, since it doesn't push as much power as the USB adapter. An hour is pretty good, but what is the percentage when you start charging it?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Official Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by justine538 View Post
    I have a new S4. It came with a 2.1Amp charger. However, I find it extremely slow on charging the handset to 100%. It can take up to an hour, and goes the same for charging via my laptop. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thx.
    Considering the amount of power that the Galaxy S4 battery contains, one hour for a recharge is a good thing, especially when starting off from 0%.

The only question is, how much battery percentage was left before you charged the device?
    Devices (Their ROMs and respective mods, if any):

Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]
    Asus Nexus 7 (2013): Official 4.4.2 KitKat OTA, ViPER4Android FX

I use a 2.1 AMP charger on my S3 with the samsung 3000mah battery and from less than 10% it will take about 2+ hours easy to charge it to 100%. You have a slightly smaller battery in your S4 and if you get it charged in 1 hour you are doing very well. Don't know what version of USB you have on your computer but one hour on that is doing extremely well I would say.

I have the S4 and had S3 and S2 previous. USB charging via my laptop is much slower than being plugged into an electrical outlet but one hour is exceptionally fast regardless of the power source in my view. Takes a heck of a lot longer to fully charge an ipad.

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

ok this is what i've noticed on my S4. Using the S4 charger that came with it, noting that it says its output is 2A, it charges much slower than when I use my Blackberry charger of 0.75A. I know it doesn't make sense, but i'm seeing the percentage battery increase in front of my eyes quickly on the BB charger than on the S4 charger. Anyone know what's going on?
    I had an S3, and the charger for that was fine and quick. I feel there's something up with this S4 charger.

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

i measured it now,
    - S4 charger charges 1% per 5 minutes.
    - BB charger charges 1% per 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by will1881 View Post
    i measured it now,
    That sounds as though you are correct to me if the output of the S4 charger is rated at 5V @ 2.1Amp. Have you measured the output of the Charger to see what its output really is?
    Last edited by japetty; 05-16-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

I haven't. How would one go about doing that?

I got a question to that as well
    It tells me to disconnect I usually charge overnight (the battery is awesome lasts all day) so I keep it on the charger (a USB plug in wall)
    Is there not some sort of automatic shutoff ?

I haven't. How would one go about doing that?
    With a DMM (Digital MultiMeter) They are made by various companies, mine is made by Fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kata Rina View Post
    I got a question to that as well
    It tells me to disconnect I usually charge overnight (the battery is awesome lasts all day) so I keep it on the charger (a USB plug in wall)
    Is there not some sort of automatic shutoff ?
    I would say it did. I don't know what phone you have. My phone knows when the battery is charged and puts a notification on the top which is when I would say it stopped charging. If the phone did not stop charging when the battery was charged the battery would overcharge and overheat. I normally take my phone off the charger though when I see the phone gives me the notification the phone is charged.

I think it says remove charging cable. It's a S4 I pay attentention and take a screen shoot
    I know my iPhone does have a function like that.Thank's

s4 battery capacity is 2600mAh. if the stock charger is rated 2.1Amp, it means that it can deliver 2100mA of power in 1hour. so to fully charge the phone (reach 2600mA) of course it will take more than 1hour. as for blackberry battery, I don't know exactly the specification but I think it has less capacity than s4 so even with just .75mAh charger the battery is fully charged faster.

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

Buddy. I don't think you understood my point.
    I'm comparing the s4 charger and bb charger on 1 phone. That phone being the S4.
    Im not using any bb phones in this comparison. Make sense?
    My point again is that in an s4 the bb charger charges the s4 faster than the s4's own charger.
    I know it doesn't make sense with numbers. But that's what I'm experricnig and coincides with a few other people's experience.
    It could be that the s4 charger is outputting below it's specifications. Thereby making a slow charge

I'm comparing the s4 charger and bb charger on 1 phone. That phone being the S4.
    My point again is that in an s4 the bb charger charges the s4 faster than the s4's own charger.
    I know it doesn't make sense with numbers. But that's what I'm experricnig and coincides with a few other people's experience.
    It could be that the s4 charger is outputting below it's specifications. Thereby making a slow charge
    Will, I think he just skimmed over the post and give an answer to you but did not go back and make sure what you said is what he thought you said, I have been in that position myself. I my self think your 2.1 charger is not charging at the rate advertised but I have a 3000mAh samsung extended battery in my S3 and the 2.1 does take a little longer than I think it should. I normally always run the battery down until it wants to be plugged in and most of the time take it off charger when it is done. Easy to do for me since I am unemployed and enjoying every minute of it. I wonder when O will stop paying me to do this, I would like another year!

Quote Originally Posted by problemshredder View Post
    s4 battery capacity is 2600mAh. if the stock charger is rated 2.1Amp, it means that it can deliver 2100mA of power in 1hour. so to fully charge the phone (reach 2600mA) of course it will take more than 1hour. as for blackberry battery, I don't know exactly the specification but I think it has less capacity than s4 so even with just .75mAh charger the battery is fully charged faster.
    The charger is only rated at that output don't mean that is what the output is unless it is measured. It sounds as though to me the output is somewhat less than rated because when he puts the S4 on the BB charger the phone charges faster on the lower rated charger which could also have a somewhat higher output than what it is rated at at this time. It also has not been measured? The statement you made is true.

i see your point now, pardon my misunderstanding. i never thought it was possible to charge samsung phone with blackberry charger though, yes it's possible the charging rate is intentionally reduced to prevent overheating. yes a real test is necessary to get a reliable result. if only you can try your s4 charger on a friend's galaxy s4, then you can compare his charging speed with yours. it should be a good test to know whether an hour charge for s4 is normal or not.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

An hour??? Lmao. Thats excellent charging time.

i measured it now,
    It sounds like the Samsung charger is charging at 0.5A. It is supposed to short the USB data lines together internally, IIRC, and it looks like it isn't doing that so the phone thinks it's attached to a USB port on a computer and only taking a half amp.

Do you still have the S3 charger? If so you can try it out with the S4 using the same USB cable to see if it charges faster. That would rule out the phone and cable.

Hello there..

Here's my problem..:

i have a Galaxy S2 with a 400mA charger.. charges really fast (less than 2 hours) wich is ok for me..

i've recently bought a Galaxy S4, and it came with a 2000mA charger, in two pieces.. wall piece and usb cable to plug into it...

Well, with the 2000mA it charges pretty well (1hour and half from 0 to 100%).. but with 400mA it is too slow ( more or less 6hours)

Until here i found it normal, due to the Amperage differences.. but...

i recently bough a 2metres usb cable, wich i plugged into the 2000mA wall piece, and the charging time of my S4 it was 6 hours or more...

my question is: Is it possible that a simple change of cable can change the charging time?? i mean.. its the same charger of 2000mA..the only difference is the lenght of the cable..

Quote Originally Posted by Helder Meireles View Post
    my question is: Is it possible that a simple change of cable can change the charging time?? i mean.. its the same charger of 2000mA..the only difference is the lenght of the cable..
    If it's a crappy cable then that's definitely possible. There's the possibility that the voltage drop is much larger in that cable than the one that came with your device. You've already rules out the charger and the phone, so it appears as if you have a substandard USB cable.

Hello there..

Here's my problem..:

i have a Galaxy S2 with a 400mA charger.. charges really fast (less than 2 hours) wich is ok for me..

i've recently bought a Galaxy S4, and it came with a 2000mA charger, in two pieces.. wall piece and usb cable to plug into it...

Well, with the 2000mA it charges pretty well (1hour and half from 0 to 100%).. but with 400mA it is too slow ( more or less 6hours)

Until here i found it normal, due to the Amperage differences.. but...

i recently bough a 2metres usb cable, wich i plugged into the 2000mA wall piece, and the charging time of my S4 it was 6 hours or more...

Apparently, whether or not the cable is shielded makes quite the difference:

If it bothers you that much, you can pick up higher rated USB wall plugs. My Nexus 10 charger is 2.5A.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast