Newb Step by Step Jelly Bean upgrade - Please Help

tagliaboo

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I have to upgrade my phone it crashes several times a day. I currently have the following specs.

HTC EVO 4G Sprint
Android 2.3.5
Kernel 2.6.35.10-g4b48446
Unlocked
Supersonic EVT3 Ship S-ON
HBOOT 2.18.0001
Clockwork Recovery 5.0.2.2
I also have Titanium Backup and Busy Box installed.

I am completely new to rooting and need simple instructions. I have searched extensively, but most sites explain it like I'm a rocket scientist. Do I need to backup and reset to factory defualt mode? If so, what are steps to do safely and keep data? Then what is best course of action? I would like a bloated free version of Jelly Bean, suggestions welcome. Do I need a new kernel as well? Sorry if questions seem dumb, but I need help. Thanks.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have to upgrade my phone it crashes several times a day. I currently have the following specs.

HTC EVO 4G Sprint
Android 2.3.5
Kernel 2.6.35.10-g4b48446
Unlocked
Supersonic EVT3 Ship S-ON
HBOOT 2.18.0001
Clockwork Recovery 5.0.2.2
I also have Titanium Backup and Busy Box installed.

I am completely new to rooting and need simple instructions. I have searched extensively, but most sites explain it like I'm a rocket scientist. Do I need to backup and reset to factory defualt mode? If so, what are steps to do safely and keep data? Then what is best course of action? I would like a bloated free version of Jelly Bean, suggestions welcome. Do I need a new kernel as well? Sorry if questions seem dumb, but I need help. Thanks.

The HTC Evo 4G doesn't officially support Jelly Bean builds, so Custom ROMs are the way to go. Just don't be surprised if many features don't work as most ROMs are unofficial ports.

Anyway, it is CRUCIAL to create a nandroid backup via custom recovery prior to ROM installation. You also need to wipe data/factory reset the phone before flashing, as a "dirty flash" will cause FC's and bootloops. If something goes wrong, rest assured that your nandroid backup will restore the device to its previous state.

• Make sure you have a nandroid backup of your phone first. (I'm going to keep mentioning this to make sure you know how important it is.)
  • Download the ROM via PC (You've mentioned that the phone kept crashing, so I'd do this to avoid corrupt downloads.)
  • Boot your handset to recovery mode.
  • Mount phone storage. (option should be under "mounts and storage".)
  • Load ROM from PC into your phone. (make sure it's for your specific device model and in a flashable .zip)
  • wipe date/factory reset the phone
  • flash the zip. (depending on the ROM you choose, the developer may have already included gApps. If not, use this link to download a flashable .zip containing the gApps for your version of Android included within the ROM: Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps )
  • When it's finished, reboot the phone. It should boot up.

If something goes wrong, boot back into CWM and restore the device in "backup and restore>restore" and click yes. Then, boot back into CWM, clear data/factory reset and start the process over. (You did create an Nandroid backup right? RIGHT??)

Also, DO NOT do a batch restore of apps with Titanium Backup, especially system apps if you've already backed all of them up. Doing so will cause multiple FC's, resulting in a bootloop after a reboot. If you do, you'll have to start the entire flashing process over.

Example Jelly Bean ROM: [ROM] [Team D.I.R.T] [WIP] [4.1.1] Unofficial CM10 v1.4 - xda-developers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol