Question about OEM and Custom Launchers

kebas239

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi all. I had a general, but kind of stupid question which I couldn't locate the answer to.

I have a Galaxy S4 (Verizon, I545). I like having a bloat-free experience and having the system software running as efficiently as possible. I'm not big on the touchwiz interface, but I do enjoy some of the features that are baked into the newest version (Specifically the numerous camera options) which currently aren't available in non-touchwiz S4 ROMS.

When using a custom launcher (such as Apex, GO or Nova) on the stock ROM, does the touchwiz interface and bloat get completely removed from memory to promote a "lag-free" experience, or is all of this still running behind the scenes in addition to the launcher taking away precious RAM, CPU and battery cycles? In other words, will using something like Apex (Which resembles stock android) running over touchwiz be less efficient than using a similarly stock AOKP or Cyanogen ROM without running Apex?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Well using nova is faster, i will tell ya that. I dont think the bloat is completely removed though, its probably still running in the background but you know you can always disable the bloat and they will be as good as gone.

Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy S3! GT-19300