1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Files on SD card get corrupted on reboot of the Galaxy Note 2 (OS 4.1.2)

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from Verizon. I bought it new and it has an external SD card (32GB). It is not rooted and never has been rooted. It has worked flawlessly and have had no complaints until now. The problem started when I decided I wanted to load up the SD card with over 20GBs of music from my music library. I tried to use Media Monkey (the licensed version) to load the music and I started getting insufficient space. When I looked on the phone using Windows Explorer I noticed that only around 4GBs of data was in use on the external card but the internal storage was nearly full. Upon further investigation the lost.dir folder on the SD card contained hundreds of files with corrupt names and in the Music folder on the SD card there appeared to be shortened 6 to 8 character names with nothing under them and several of the music folders seemed intact with the long names and music under them. At this point I was suspecting both the Media Monkey software and perhaps something on the phone so I thought I would rule them out by removing all the music files from all storage areas and removed the SD card. I connected the SD card directly to my computer and reformatted it. It showed 32GB capacity. I copied 10GB of data onto the SD card as well as the “normal” folders that existed on the SD card. From the computer it looked great and all the folders and files were intact. I put the SD card back in the phone and powered it up. I then checked the file structure both on the phone using various file manager apps as well as Windows Explorer and noticed that the files and folders got corrupted in a similar fashion as well as the lost.dir folder being loaded with hundreds of files. I checked the size of the contents on the SD card and noted that the size was a little over 4GBs in use. So I believe I have ruled out hardware, and Monkey Media. I believe that there is some program/app on the phone that doesn’t support drives over 4GB (or some other limitation) – seems similar to older computers running XP or 16 bit programs not being able to deal with anything bigger than 4GB and would explain the shortened names.
    I also have tried copying music from my PC via the USB cable to both the Phone Music folder and the Card Music folder – this works great and the files/folders remain intact until I restart the phone. It seems that the common issue is after a restart something scans the files and starts whacking away at MP3 files and the folders they are in. in My most recent tests I loaded up approximately 4GBs (total size of all contents on the SD card which is mostly MP3 files in the Music folder) on the SD card and after a reboot the size drops to 1.83GBs. After the reboot the Lost.dir folder gets loaded up with a large number of files (roughly correlating to the number of whacked files), and folders under Music get renamed with 6 to 8 characters that resemble the name of the folder. In addition, at some point I am unable to delete, rename, or copy new files onto the SD card so I end up using the format SD card option from within the phone. In general, no real problems seem to occur with the data on the phone itself but I am at the point where I have less than 1GB available on the phone so if I want to take lots of pictures or add more music I am in trouble since I can't reliably count on the data remaining intact on the SD card. Since the data seems to stay for days until I restart or some yet to be identified event, it would appear that this is not a hardware problem.

The only thing I can think of doing at this point is to reformat the phone and SD card. If I then load the default image with no add-on apps and try loading the music directly to the SD card from my PC, I will then narrow things down. But before doing that I wanted to see if this is a known issue and if there is a fix.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Take care…
    Bruce P.

Default Re: Files on SD card get corrupted on reboot of the Galaxy Note 2 (OS 4.1.2)

I have had problems with both my Note II and my wifes Galaxy III in regards to the sd cards. When we got our phones, we bought brand new cards to go with them. We tried to use them for photo storage, and even originally had them as the location for the camera to write to when taking pictures. We found this to be VERY unreliable. Photoes would corrupt with no warning. Fine for weeks.. then go bad. The first sign of the files corruption are that the photo gallery that comes with the phone will lock up and shut down when trying to view the photos. This is something that i wish Samsung would fix. But every contact I've had with them, they blame the card.

Default Re: Files on SD card get corrupted on reboot of the Galaxy Note 2 (OS 4.1.2)

I've had the same problem.

am reformatting the card now. Let's hope it doesnt happen again. Though I think my problem started when I used the device as a usb drive with my DVD player

Lightbulb Re: Files on SD card get corrupted on reboot of the Galaxy Note 2 (OS 4.1.2)

Hi!
    My bro faced this problem when he first installed android jelly bean update 4.1.2 and he managed to fix it.
    He removed the SD card and formatted it on PC using a card reader, then he performed factory reset.
    PS:By formatting the SD card only, the problem persists and is not fixed. My bro's phone is galaxy s2 and he installed the update using odin.
    I hope this would help.
    Good luck!

I too face the same problem. Anyone please give the approved solution.