Google Now/Voice Search talks too much

michielpauw

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I recently started exploring Google Now. I tried switching my speech settings to English (US) so Google would talk to me, and now it does. The problem is though, it talks too much. It repeats everything I've either typed or dictated and when it shows the search results I can't press anywhere on the screen or else it reads that out loud as well. I can imagine it can be useful sometimes, but I was wondering whether it's possible to turn it off. I've tried setting 'speech output' to only when hands-free. That didn't change anything. Even when I turn my volume off it still talks...

I've read a lot about people who didn't get their app to speak, I have the opposite problem. I could change my language settings back to Dutch, but there must be another way, right?

Thanks in advance!

ps I also read about Google Now tellling bad jokes when asked. That was actually something my Now doesn't do. Maybe I'm doing something horribly wrong with my app?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have mine set to "only when informative" and have no problems. Actually, I rarely hear from it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It sounds to me like you've enabled some accessibility feature. Check your device Settings and look under Accessibility. Make sure TalkBack is off.

nancy30

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I think its the default setting but if you are not sure you should check some faq's here I have disabled this feature

Code:
http://support.google.com/android/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=168946&topic=1197458&ctx=topic

michielpauw

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips. I finally figured it out: it was the setting 'enhance web accessibility' that was somehow turned on. Now everything works fine again.

Thanks!