Transfer Music to SD Card (Please Help!)

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
A quick history.

I've used an iPhone for many years. I just got an S4 Active. I love it for the most part.

I've tried several ways to transfer my music collection on my SD card with no success. I'm using a Mac.

Here is what I've tried and what's happened.

iSyncr quoted me a transfer time of 5 hours (!) via USB transfer and gave me an error message at the 23% mark on 3 occations. I then formatted my SD card and moved on.

DoubleTwist did nothing. I looked in Settings, but I was unable to transfer anything onto the SD card with my Active connected to my Mac via USB.

AFT was useless.

AirDroid recognizes only 11 GB of my 64 GB card.

WiFi File Transfer Pro seemed to be my saving grace. I tried uploading my entire connection in one click and the program froze. I then finally had success by uploading individual artist folders. Basically I'd have to pick one artist and I'd be able to upload all their albums in their folders in one click. Okay this is progress.

This is obviously going to take a great deal of time because my collection is pretty large. So I did artists A-B and was looking to do C today. Well I go to upload an artist and I get error messages in the form of red X's when the upload is attempted. Then things get crazy. My Active tells me that my SD card can now be removed. WiFi File Transfer Pro no longer recognizes the SD card. I go to Settings on my Active and it doesn't recognizes my SD card.

I restart my phone. Same thing. I get the notifcation that it's safe for me to remove the SD card. I restart again and my Active recognizes my SD card and still has all my previous music files on it. I connect to WiFi File Transfer Pro and all my previous music is on it but I now see a tmp file labeled DeleteMe followed by a serious of numbers. I delete said file.

I've uninstalled WiFi File Transfer Pro. I've formated the SD card. It is recognized by my Active with 59.47 GB available.

I'm pretty sure File Transfer Pro caused this headache. I believe my SD card is just fine. I need a way to successfully transfer my music onto my SD card. Please help me. This is driving me crazy. Thank you.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
forgive me if i sound repetitive. i know that if you try to transfer files to the sd card while its in the phone, you will have lots of problems and itll not work unless like u said copying bits n pieces whichll take forever. have u tried putting the sd card in its adapter, into your computer and transfer that way? just a straight transfer from the music directory to the sd card. im trying to avoid having the phone involved during this transfer process bc that wont work properly esp with the large amount ur working with.

have u considered using google play music to upload ur collection that way u can stream ur songs anytime and not take up space?

i just ordered an sd card and am wondering if i will run into a similar issue.

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
forgive me if i sound repetitive. i know that if you try to transfer files to the sd card while its in the phone, you will have lots of problems and itll not work unless like u said copying bits n pieces whichll take forever. have u tried putting the sd card in its adapter, into your computer and transfer that way? just a straight transfer from the music directory to the sd card. im trying to avoid having the phone involved during this transfer process bc that wont work properly esp with the large amount ur working with.

have u considered using google play music to upload ur collection that way u can stream ur songs anytime and not take up space?

i just ordered an sd card and am wondering if i will run into a similar issue.

I have a 2 GB data cap. Can't stream very much. Plus I want access to all my music without needing to pin it beforehand for offline use.

Potentially I could a memory card reader and connect it to my Mac. It does not have an SD card slot in the back. This would maybe work for the initial large transfer but I would not want to use this method in the future when adding music. Seems silly to have to remove the back of my phone and then the card to update music once or twice a month. At that point a wireless or USB transfer makes more sense.

I'd still prefer to do the initial transfer via USB or over wi-fi. This is really bothering me. iTunes was flawless with respect to transferring music.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
its the initial load that youre trying to get everything on at once, making it seem a bit of a hassle considering the amount of files ur transferring. im assuming once u do that, anything going forward will be several songs to add here n there which will suffice via usb transfer.

soooo....if u dont mind going a little bit out of ur way to get the files on the card manually, you should be good from there going forward. let us knw what u end up doing...

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
its the initial load that youre trying to get everything on at once, making it seem a bit of a hassle considering the amount of files ur transferring. im assuming once u do that, anything going forward will be several songs to add here n there which will suffice via usb transfer.

soooo....if u dont mind going a little bit out of ur way to get the files on the card manually, you should be good from there going forward. let us knw what u end up doing...

Asked this question over at 'General Help'. Looks like I figured out my own mistake. Didn't realize SD card in AirDroid wasn't my actual external SD card. Found the file in 'Files'. Looks like I'm in the clear now. Just a question of uploading all my music into this file on my SD card. Fingers crossed.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
The kies app that came with the phone does the same thing as air droid, except that you can also plug in to usb.

I actually backed up my library to box.net and I download them to my sd card when I want them.

I do not like using an SD card, but with all of the files I keep with me, I just can't keep it on the internal sd... And with my data plan, I can't stream all the time.

It's only annoying once, then you'll be free of iTunes. I suggest buying from amazon. It's cheaper, and you can download the music to your phone and transfer to SD without a hassle.

Posted via Android Central App