Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

Default Sony's UI vs. HTC Sense 5?

Hello! I'm new here, so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place. Don't really know my way around these forums yet.

I'm from WPCentral, and I'm thinking about coming back to Android when I can upgrade. I currently have a Nokia Lumia 920. I love it so much! The hardware is excellent. Gorgeous screen, amazing camera, just a great overall experience. However, I'm tired of Windows Phone already. I used to love it but the appeal is gone. It's much too simple for me and I have no idea why Microsoft has missed so many small features. This could change with WP 8.1 but I'm not so sure. It sucks though, because I've really grown to love Nokia. It's going to be hard to leave, if I do decide to.

A huge part of my decision will be the UI. If I go Android, the OEM I side with needs to have a UI that best suites me. I've narrowed it down to HTC Sense 5 and Sony's UI. Samsung's Touchwiz isn't very clean (Imo), and I feel like it's too heavy. I'm not very interested in buying an LG phone, they haven't really impressed me with their products. Motorola is interesting. I haven't heard great things about Motoblur but with their upcoming Moto X, maybe Motoblur will be completely redesigned.

So, AndroidCentral, I'm asking which UI is better: HTC Sense 5 or Sony's UI? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? And, should I consider other OEMs?

I'm still not sure if I will switch to Android, but I still want to know which skin is better because if I do decide to switch, I'll have a better idea of what I want. I still can't imagine leaving Nokia, though. I love their camera technology and I don't think I'll get the same camera experience from an Android OEM (I'll especially miss the camera button). Their other hardware is also amazing. I really hope they jump ship to Android once their deal with Microsoft is over.

Default Re: Sony's UI vs. HTC Sense 5?

I personally like Sony's UI more because of it looks more like stock android.
    I think Sense 5 is nice but nothing super special.
    You should go to a nearby store where you can try the phones running Sense 5 and Sony's Timescape UI and see what you like better.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

Thanks for the input!

I'm not sure where I can find a store that sells Sony phones. I'll try it at T-Mobile once they get Sony Xperia Z in stock to compare it to the One. I've seen some videos comparing the Xperia Z and the HTC One. One thing I didn't like about Sony's UI was that the home, back, and recently used apps buttons are on screen. Is that an inconvenience or no?

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

I love the Sense 5, but my only complaint is that I can't remove BlinkFeed.

Global Posts
    698 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Official Nightlies

Sony's UI is more similar to stock vanilla android compared to Sense 5 which is more heavy on the OEM skinning.

....so I'm gonna have to say Sony's UI is much better.
    Devices (Their ROMs and respective mods, if any):

Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]
    Asus Nexus 7 (2013): Official 4.4.2 KitKat OTA, ViPER4Android FX

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

If you are rooted you can remove blink feed from sense.

Posted via Android Central App