1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Web browser recommendations & RAM usage.

Just got me a second/standby device (Huawei G510) and finding some aspects a little frustrating to say the least.

First off, web browsing. I've got Firefox, Chrome and some sort of "MyWeb Browser" app that was pre-installed by Vodafone. TBH I'm finding them all damn frustrating to use for general browsing. Menus, navigation and general stability are issues with them all including the most basic of functions are buried in some obscure place that takes an eternity of searching to find them.
    I come from the Maemo5 community and find the default browser (MicroB) way better than anything else I've used on mobile (Opera for Maemo5 comes a close second), although with the N900's hardware now being a little behind (600mhz CPU) things are getting a little clunky. What I want is a browser for Android that's as easy to use as MicroB.
    Any suggestions?

I'm also finding my RAM is being hogged by apps and services that are running in the background. Things like Maps using 6.7MB, Google Play Music using 9.1MB and Google Play Store using 6.4MB. Do these need to be running even though the apps are shut down, and is there any way I can keep them shut down until I do need them?

Thankees in advance.
    Mick.

Default Re: Web browser recommendations & RAM usage.

Those running apps will just restart if you force close them. Only way to get rid of them is to disable any that you do not use.

As to a browser, you might want to take a look at Maxthon.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the tips.
    Downloaded Maxthon. So far I'd say it was the best browser I've tried on Android to date. Has the odd issue with one or two sites, but not as bad as FF or Chrome.
    Wish I was allowed to uninstall Chrome for the free space. I've uninstalled a couple of bloatware apps that were installed by Vodafone and a couple other useless bits and my RAM is looking much healthier.
    Cheers for the help so far.

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky_Mick View Post
    .Wish I was allowed to uninstall Chrome for the free space.
    Cheers for the help so far.
    If you uninstall updates in Chrome you are left with just over 2MB of space used rather than the usual 70 plus and then you can disable it.
    Putting out fire with gasoline
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzers View Post
    If you uninstall updates in Chrome you are left with just over 2MB of space used rather than the usual 70 plus and then you can disable it.
    This has certainly made a huge difference. I've managed to knock it down to just 9 running apps instead of the 20 or so that used to show up in App Manager and I haven't seen my cache usage reach any higher than 10MB since.