Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Voice Search Hands Free

Is it possible to have Google send text messages emails etc without actually typing anything to confirm? Navigation for example would be a whole lot safer if I could trigger it without having to touch the screen first. Anyone have any advice?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Google Voice Search Hands Free

Disregard I am completely stupid the feature has been there all along

I am not sure which device you have or which version of Android you have but if you are on 4.0 ICS or earlier versions, the voice icon has to be tapped in order to voice a command. If you have Google Now on your device, there is "siri" funtionality to call out voice commands. All you have to do is open up Google now and say "Google", then tell it what you want it to do. There are other third party apps on the play store that are "Siri" alternatives.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the reply. That is something I did not know Google Now could do. I'm not this naive, I promise. I just moved over to the GS4 (4.2.2 is the android version) after like 4 years with iPhone (I had the original droid1, if that says anything about how long it's been since I used Android). I figured out how to root the thing with no problem, but I had no idea I could trigger Google Now with my voice. Weird.

Now here's a question....any way you know of to trigger Google Now from the lock screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Zagotti View Post
    I am not sure which device you have or which version of Android you have but if you are on 4.0 ICS or earlier versions, the voice icon has to be tapped in order to voice a command. If you have Google Now on your device, there is "siri" funtionality to call out voice commands. All you have to do is open up Google now and say "Google", then tell it what you want it to do. There are other third party apps on the play store that are "Siri" alternatives.

Try to put the google search icon in your home page and try to swap it with one of the four apps that are on the bottom of your phone. Make sure you have at least one open spot on the home screen to move an app from the bottom row. Move the google search app to the bottom row. That should take care of it.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I did one better. I turned on lock screen shortcuts and then added voice search as one of the shortcuts. One touch Google now from lock screen.