Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By infper
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Default App Ops - New Permission Manager feature introduced in Android 4.3

Android 4.3 introduced a new permission management feature "App Ops", and you can disable permissions that you don't want app to use. It's a big improvement for securing your device and protecting your privacy. But it's not visible to users, and you have to open it by a .

"App Ops" is not perfect now, maybe it's the reason why they hide it. I hope to see it's improved and released in Android 5.0.
    Thanked by:
    flacousa likes this.

Default Re: App Ops - New Permission Manager feature introduced in Android 4.3

I have many apps that I require NEW permission and I just don't update and keep using the old version, once I get 4.3 I'll be able to use this app to control some of the permissions.

Does anyone knows why some apps need to find "other accounts on the device" or "prevent tablet from sleeping" ?

Sent from planet earth

I have many apps that I require NEW permission and I just don't update and keep using the old version, once I get 4.3 I'll be able to use this app to control some of the permissions.
    Don't get too excited. It only allows some permissions to be controlled. For instance, if you do not want Facebook to run at startup there is no option to disable it.

Does anyone knows why some apps need to find "other accounts on the device" or "prevent tablet from sleeping" ?
    Depends on the app. For instance, if you put a camera or gallery app on your device it would need to look at your contacts if you want to directly email a photo from it. If you are using Netflix, you don't want to device to sleep while you are watching a movie. Sadly, many apps are just plain intrusive and require permissions that are not necessary for regular use of the app. Choose your apps wisely. I was going to add Yahoo Messenger the other day and saw it wants access to NFC. Why the hell would it need that? I did not download the app.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

I'm trying out the app on my recently 4.3'd N7. Its always disconcerted me as to how many apps want permissions and to what, so this is a good step towards better security and peace of mind. Granted, many apps seem to have permission for something and report it hasn't been accessed - yet - but I see no reason why seemingly unrelated apps would need access to, say, my Contacts.

And heck, if disabling some permissions cause the affected app to behave badly, one can always choose to reverse the setting. Or remove the app.

Its not as easy a control as the built-in iOS service, but its a start.
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

For those of you running a custom launcher like Nova (you ARE using a custom launcher right??) there's no need to install an app to access App Ops. In Nova and many other launchers long press the home screen, select shortcuts > Activities and scroll down to Settings and in the Settings subgroup you will find App Ops. You can now add that to your homescreen.

The appholcs permission manager that everyone downloaded at first requires you to pay now
    This permission manager (launches app ops) is FREE:
    and does the same thing