4.3 Use multi user or restricted profiles?

inphoenix

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Just got the Nexus 7 (2013) and just started playing with the multi user v/s. restricted profiles settings. It seems that using restricted profiles you can download an app just one time and share it with other users on the tablet. This would be really helpful with saving space on the 16GB model where you don't have to download same game 3 times. However gmail and some other apps are not supported in this mode so it does not work for me.

On the other hand, if I use the multi user everything works but now I need to download same apps multiple times.

Am I missing something or is this how it is supposed to be? Please some one tell me that there is a setting to share apps in multiple user mode.

EDIT : I tried to look this up on the net and found this:

With apps, the system is intelligent: If one user goes into the Play Store and installs an app that another user has already downloaded onto the tablet, Android will "install" the app for the user -- basically making it available to her -- but won't actually redownload it. And that user's app-specific data and settings will remain separate from other users' information; when a new user opens the app, it's as if the app is being opened for the first time. I tested this with a handful of apps, including third-party programs like Facebook, and it worked flawlessly.

Android 4.2 multiuser support: Hands-on impressions and gallery | Computerworld Blogs

Last edited:

bikerben

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how to share photos among the profiles? I have a Galaxy Note 10 and set up profiles for the 4 members of our family but if we upload any photos, only one person can see the photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678