Can't get "listen to" music voice command to work with Google Now

coldjeanz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
When I give a command to listen to a song stored on my phone it will go through and bring up the album art and everything, say "Playing Request", load and then it will take me to a search field and say "No artist found" or something. I noticed it will type out the entire artist+song name as well and I think because of this it can't find it in my library. If I then search strictly by artist name or song name only then it will pull up a list of results. It does this regardless if I say, "Listen to *song* or Listen to *song by artist*"

But I thought the point was that you tell it what song you want to hear and it will play automatically. I shouldn't have to do any searching of my own after giving the command!

StoolChairs

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
That's my problem as well. I love everything there is about voice commands and this Nexus 4. But the one thing that this phone cannot do, that my old iPhone 3GS could, is play music stored on the device by voice while I'm driving. Whenever I give a "listen to" or "play" command, followed by the artist's name, all it does it bring up a screen with the artists album, and then it's up to me to look down at the phone while driving and manually click 2 more times to get the songs going in that album.

I'm running 4.3 and have had this problem for months. I'm using the default Google Play music player.

coldjeanz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
That's my problem as well. I love everything there is about voice commands and this Nexus 4. But the one thing that this phone cannot do, that my old iPhone 3GS could, is play music stored on the device by voice while I'm driving. Whenever I give a "listen to" or "play" command, followed by the artist's name, all it does it bring up a screen with the artists album, and then it's up to me to look down at the phone while driving and manually click 2 more times to get the songs going in that album.

I'm running 4.3 and have had this problem for months. I'm using the default Google Play music player.

I'm using an HTC One with 4.1.2 and the stock music player so I guess that rules out a bug in an older version...

I've seen a youtube video of someone executing it properly and getting the music to start playing automatically. I used the exact same command too

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I could never get that function to work, but recently I tired again in 4.3 (if that matters) and at first it brings up the Play Store option to buy it, but underneath the store icon there is a tab to hit to change and I changed it to the Google Music app and now it does that by default instead of trying to make me but it. It still takes a bit to load up though.....

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Make sure that you have Google Play Music set as your default player. I had a problem where it would always try and play a YouTube video for the request. If you look in the lower left corner, when it says that it's playing the request, there should be an icon for the app that it will use to play the request. Make sure that the icon is that of the app you wish to use to play the request.

coldjeanz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Make sure that you have Google Play Music set as your default player. I had a problem where it would always try and play a YouTube video for the request. If you look in the lower left corner, when it says that it's playing the request, there should be an icon for the app that it will use to play the request. Make sure that the icon is that of the app you wish to use to play the request.

Yeah it looks like it only works with Google Play music player. The stock player just won't work

Better than nothing I guess, thanks

Posted via Android Central App

NCARalph

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a Note 3 and what's happening is that I can get Google Voice to launch the Google Play Music app by voice command from Google Voice but it won't actually play anything.

If I say "Play Cream" it will launch the Google Play Music app and bring up a thumbnail of the album, but doesn't play it. Apparently there is no voice control for the Google Music App so it's pretty useless for things like driving.

I set the default music player back to the built in Samsung "Music" app, which does have voice commands and it works reasonably well to use Google Voice to interpret the commands (S Voice doesn't work very well) and the Samsung Music app to play the music. To set this up, use Google Voice to play something, e.g. Play Cream. That will bring up the Google Voice music screen and there's a little pull down at the lower left where you can select the app to play. Then hit the Music label and once you've played something, it remembers what you used to play it with.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a Note 3 and what's happening is that I can get Google Voice to launch the Google Play Music app by voice command from Google Voice but it won't actually play anything.

If I say "Play Cream" it will launch the Google Play Music app and bring up a thumbnail of the album, but doesn't play it. Apparently there is no voice control for the Google Music App so it's pretty useless for things like driving.

I set the default music player back to the built in Samsung "Music" app, which does have voice commands and it works reasonably well to use Google Voice to interpret the commands (S Voice doesn't work very well) and the Samsung Music app to play the music. To set this up, use Google Voice to play something, e.g. Play Cream. That will bring up the Google Voice music screen and there's a little pull down at the lower left where you can select the app to play. Then hit the Music label and once you've played something, it remembers what you used to play it with.

I have the exact same issue..and it's so annoying.
"Listen to 'August Burns Red',.....
>playing 'August Burns Red' (with artist thumbnail
>google play music opens, artist thumbnail appears
and like you, i have to tap the artist then find the song/album i want. so really, Google voice commands (regarding playing music) are just frustrating and not really hands-free as it should be.

UPDATE: Just got a response back from Google support: "The reason it has you tap on the song/album/artist is because the Voice command option is a feature that Samsung provides. It is a search feature and that is why it requires you to pick what you want to play. What I have gone ahead and done is submitted a feature request. "
I can confirm that the same issue occurs on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Note 3--
but my brother's LG Nexus 5 begins playing the artist instantly.

Verizon Galaxy Note 3 (4.3)

Last edited:

Ethan Stringer

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Never successfully able to play any music using "Play" or "listen to". No option for google play store either because I'm in Canada.

Is this feature exclusive to American purchases of the nexus 5 for the time being?

jjnicoll

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Just to confuse everyone more my new Nexus 4 will work with the "listen to ?artist name" command about every 2nd time at launching the google play music and playing the artist BUT only with wifi on. I have had ZERO success on my mobile network with no wifi connection. I have changed the listen to command to launch the app as the default but obviously this is still at least somewhat broken with Google Now. Coming from an iPhone with Siri this seems like such a ridiculous thing to not have work properly. It is essential for those of us who drive and like to launch our music through bluetooth. Hoping for a permanent fix soon. I am in Canada and like others have stated this may be part of the issue.

ThE MaDnEsS

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
***************PLEASE READ***************

Well there's no fix for this issue when it regards the stock or any music player BUT I DID ACCIDENTALLY COME ACROSS A MUSIC PLAYER APP THAT ACTUALLY WORKS WITH THESE VOICE COMMANDS!! Try the music app SHUTTLE MUSIC PLAYER or the paid version SHUTTLE+

Enjoy! 😉😎

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie